The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 60

User Info Menu

Bluesbreaker that sounds cool and really alive. Play that puppy like you never need an upgrade!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Bluesbreaker that sounds cool and really alive. Play that puppy like you never need an upgrade!
    Thanks Mark! I sure will

User Info Menu

Enjoyed the sound of you and your L-30 very much!

I like small bodied archtops and have had or played L-30's, L-37's, L-47's and older 14.75" L-50s and they all can be variable. In fact even though they had a Gibson sound and similar build, I always found each to have something unique.

That's true of many 16" and 17" Gibsons of the era as well.....there will always be some that shine brighter.

A little L-00 sized 14.75" flat backed Gibson archtop of those times was made to be affordable, and some can be unimpressive.
    Others are nice sounding but on the quieter side, or sound perfectly good depending on one's expectations, use and the musical setting.

Yours does sound exceptional and of course your playing and miked audio setup is a factor.
    There's nothing lacking there.

I always look forward to picking up another L-30 to hear what it's got.....
    ....lately it's been all about little Epiphones.

Well those and and a couple 17" L-7's and a nice ES-300!
    Last edited by zizala; 08-24-2021 at 08:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zizala
    Enjoyed the sound of you and your L-30 very much!

I like small bodied archtops and have had or played L-30's, L-37's, L-47's and older 14.75" L-50s and they all can be variable. In fact even though they had a Gibson sound and similar build, I always found each to have something unique.

That's true of many 16" and 17" Gibsons of the era as well.....there will always be some that shine brighter.

A little L-00 sized 14.75" flat backed Gibson archtop of those times was made to be affordable, and some can be unimpressive.
    Others are nice sounding but on the quieter side, or sound perfectly good depending on one's expectations, use and the musical setting.

Yours does sound exceptional and of course your playing and miked audio setup is a factor.
    There's nothing lacking there.

I always look forward to picking up another L-30 to hear what it's got.....
    ....lately it's been all about little Epiphones.

Well those and and a couple 17" L-7's and a nice ES-300!
    Thanks Ziz!

Totally agree, they are all different which I think is part of the charm of vintage guitars in general. I enjoy experimenting with the recording set up and I'm planning to try two mics next, one at the 12th fret and one at the f hole and then mixing the two. Most of what I have done so far has been super simple but sounds ok to me.

Talking of little epiphones, would love to try a small body olympic like the one Dave Rawlings plays. I bet those 17" L-7's are special. I've always wanted a 16" L-7 but they're not so easy to find and prices seem to be increasing all the time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesbreaker
    I've been playing my 30's Gibson L-30 a lot recently and every time I pick it up it astounds me. It has such a warm, rich and deep, growly tone with almost as much low end as my Gibson L-00 and Martin 00-18 flat tops. Not really what you would expect from a small body archtop? I've watched pretty much every YouTube video out there of other L-30's and compared to mine they all sound much thinner and some (but not all) somewhat brittle and harsh. . . . I'm not trying to brag saying I have the best sounding L-30 out there but I'm genuinely interested as to why mine sounds like this.
    When you hear a YT recording you're hearing:
    > Something (ranging from a cell phone to a Neumann) placed somewhere near a guitar that your ear is highly unlikely to ever be
    > Some processing -- EQ, compression, reverb
    > Compressed into a block by YT
    > Reproduced on your computer sound-card
    > And made audible by your rich, resonant 2" computer woofers
    In short, it's a potentially reliable reflection of which notes on the instrument can play without clanking and a nearly-useless document of how that guitar would actually sound if you played it in public.

In contrast, your instrument in your hands in your 100sf music-room ought to sound as good as you can make it.
    And it will always sound a lot different when you are out standing in your field.

But we're bound to keep trying, and we do.
    Happy hunting!

User Info Menu

I've been playing for about 60 years, and I absolutely cannot look at a guitar, knowing its age or not, and predict what it will sound like. Every one is different.

User Info Menu

Very true!

User Info Menu

I got this from a friend, who did his best to rescue it after a couple of lifetimes of torture. It's an amazing player. I had an under the saddle transducer installed, and I hate it. It fails to capture the voice of the instrument.

Thoughts about a DeArmond Monkey-on-a-Stick solution?

Gibson L-30-img-1871-jpg

Gibson L-30-img-1872-jpg

Gibson L-30-img-1873-jpg

User Info Menu

That is a an elderly and venerable instrument. The MOAS would be my go to for that. Congratulations on a real classic!

User Info Menu

That is a an elderly and venerable instrument. The MOAS would be my go to for that. Congratulations on a real classic! [/QUOTE]

Thank you! My friend is an old surfer with quite a collection, mostly non-archtops. He was happy to entrust this one to me, and I'm glad to be able to enjoy it and keep its story going.

User Info Menu

Bearing in mind that no amplification captures the full acoustic sound of a nice instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Bearing in mind that no amplification captures the full acoustic sound of a nice instrument.
    Amen. When I was talking to someone about the transducer, she sold me on what was installed, but added that she uses good mics if she wants a better sound.

I'm kinda jaded/broken anyway? I've played the saxophone and flute forever, and I've worked with some really loud groups. Most of the interesting stuff seems to vanish from acoustic instruments once they're amplified. And the irony stares me in the face as I type this: why did I want to amplify this guitar in the first place...

User Info Menu

Nice to see an old L-30 that's been well used, maybe abused but lives on....glad you're enjoying what it does.
    I used to have a couple of these some time ago and miss them.

Without an elevated fingerboard extension a DeArmond wouldn't have enough forward clearance to fit very close to the neck.
    Probably could be situated somewhere midway between the fingerboard and the bridge.
    But a DeArmond being a magnetic pickup would give the guitar more of an electric than an acoustic amplified sound.
    That said, old DeArmonds can sound great!

User Info Menu

I agree doesn’t look enough room for a Dearmond pickup on a stick.

Looks like there are only 3 good options for amplification:

1) Transducer, which you have—try to coax a good sound of it with a good DI and/or amp

2) Mic

3) Set in pickup

I have some friends in a kind of skiffle/blues band who both have old Epiphones and routed out holes for some DeArmond foil pickups, and they sound AWESOME.

Of course that would involve cutting into the top of this guitar, though there may be some options that mount directly to the top. OTOH, it’s not like a pristine closet queen either.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Wow, thanks for all of the knowledge and guidance!

Quote Originally Posted by zizala
    Nice to see an old L-30 that's been well used, maybe abused but lives on....glad you're enjoying what it does.
    I used to have a couple of these some time ago and miss them.

Without an elevated fingerboard extension a DeArmond wouldn't have enough forward clearance to fit very close to the neck.
    Probably could be situated somewhere midway between the fingerboard and the bridge.
    But a DeArmond being a magnetic pickup would give the guitar more of an electric than an acoustic amplified sound.
    That said, old DeArmonds can sound great!
    Hopefully this doesn't open a can of worms along the lines of the Ibanez Joe Pass pickup location, but that placement might actually work for me. I've been forcing myself to use a pick for more than a year, and I'm kinda locked in to picking closer to the bridge than the neck. I dream of a nice fat neck tone, but my mechanics just aren't there (as of right now).

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I agree doesn’t look enough room for a Dearmond pickup on a stick.

Looks like there are only 3 good options for amplification:

1) Transducer, which you have—try to coax a good sound of it with a good DI and/or amp

2) Mic

3) Set in pickup

I have some friends in a kind of skiffle/blues band who both have old Epiphones and routed out holes for some DeArmond foil pickups, and they sound AWESOME.

Of course that would involve cutting into the top of this guitar, though there may be some options that mount directly to the top. OTOH, it’s not like a pristine closet queen either.
    It is very tight in there, so I'm not positive there's room for a DeArmond. I've tried a couple of DIs, a decent EQ, but I'm finding too much air in my amplified sound. I still haven't tried an acoustic amp though. The routing has crossed my mind. I think the adhesive holding the guitar together, front and back, is clear boat epoxy. If you hold the guitar up to the light, you can actually see through it. But I'm worried about killing off the existing voice.

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    I'll have to investigate!

Again, thanks for all of the knowledge and guidance! I wrote up a little introduction to myself (located elsewhere), and I can't overstate the thanks: even though I've been lurking forever, this knowledge base has really guided lots of my guitar choices. I'm so glad I finally joined.

User Info Menu

Cool guitar! Lace makes an ultra slim humbucker for this style of archtop that sits on the top. If you’re interested, call Lace and ask Gabriel (the manager) about it. He’s very knowledgeable and a really nice guy - and I love their pickups.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Cool guitar! Lace makes an ultra slim humbucker for this style of archtop that sits on the top. If you’re interested, call Lace and ask Gabriel (the manager) about it. He’s very knowledgeable and a really nice guy - and I love their pickups.
    The guitar is a beauty of a beast. Once I pick it up I have a really hard time putting it down. If I ever decide to purge everything (again) it’s surely the one I’d hold onto (famous last words).

Just saved the link. Thanks!

User Info Menu

I put a clingon mic on my L50 .Its cheap . Sounds okj to me. Mickmac

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I happen to have one of the ultra slim hum buckers that I am not using in case you decide to go that route.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    I happen to have one of the ultra slim hum buckers that I am not using in case you decide to go that route.
    Thanks for letting me know! PM sent.

User Info Menu

I love to see a guitar that has been highly used. Be respectful of it, it may not last more than another 50 years!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I love to see a guitar that has been highly used. Be respectful of it, it may not last more than another 50 years!
    I'm not necessarily recommending restoration, but I bet a very good restoration of that guitar could be done to the point it would look like a different guitar. I've seen some unbelievable results with 100 y/o Martins, and Steve Erlewine (Stew Mac) has many videos out showing his restoration of vintage instruments.

OTOH--if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm sure Willy's Trigger could be restored to some degree, but that wouldn't be a good idea, would it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Deal!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I'm not necessarily recommending restoration, but I bet a very good restoration of that guitar could be done to the point it would look like a different guitar. I've seen some unbelievable results with 100 y/o Martins, and Steve Erlewine (Stew Mac) has many videos out showing his restoration of vintage instruments.

OTOH--if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm sure Willy's Trigger could be restored to some degree, but that wouldn't be a good idea, would it?
    Apparently it was painted black when my friend acquired it, so that's something to think about. Maybe go all the way? I need to talk to my luthier about it.