The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Gibson is still manufacturing archtops? Huber Breese in Michigan has one listed on Reverb. The SN checks out as 2021.

Gibson Custom L-4 Mahogany Hollowbody Electric Guitar - | Reverb

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I don’t know but it sure looks nice

User Info Menu

Not crazy about the 2-tone sunburst top. I hate the black back and sides. I want to see the wood grain!

User Info Menu

Why does the fretboard not look like ebony?

Quote Originally Posted by ggjaguar
    Not crazy about the 2-tone sunburst top. I hate the black back and sides. I want to see the wood grain!
    Agreed! I'm waiting it out for a natural / blonde finish, anything after 2004-06 with a solid back. This might be a long wait.

Quote Originally Posted by monkmonk1
    Why does the fretboard not look like ebony?
    I noticed that too. HB store insisted that it's ebony. I don't think so. Richlite?

User Info Menu

Unstained Macassar ebony maybe?

User Info Menu

All Ebony is not black....Some Ebony is brown

Ebony - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

They also have this 2020 “Super 400”.

Gibson Custom Shop Super 400 Handcarved Electric Guitar - | Reverb

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Gross!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Gross!
    Yes, I agree.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Gross!
    Not nice, it looks kind of cheap.

User Info Menu

Who is among the demographic for that S400? Certainly not anyone I know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    Who is among the demographic for that S400? Certainly not anyone I know.
    No one looking for a good or tasteful guitar.

User Info Menu

I'm no photography wiz but the; what looks like insane amounts of magenta, in the picture of the L4 (check gold tuners and tuning knobs), might be what makes the ebony fretboard look 'off colour'.

I appreciate that ebony is not always jet black but it is by the time a guitar company has finished dyeing it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    All Ebony is not black....Some Ebony is brown

Ebony - Wikipedia
    right, that came out in the news for most of the ignorami like me after Obama went after Gibson (or should I say Henry) on the Lacey act, and Taylor guitars made it a point to use unevenly hued fretboards etc.

apparently ebony trees are cut down, then sampled, and if the wood ain’t all black just left there to rot. Wasteful.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    right, that came out in the news for most of the ignorami like me after Obama went after Gibson (or should I say Henry) on the Lacey act, and Taylor guitars made it a point to use unevenly hued fretboards etc.

apparently ebony trees are cut down, then sampled, and if the wood ain’t all black just left there to rot. Wasteful.
    I think we can all agree that leaving perfectly good wood to rot is wasteful. I just was wondering if that fretboard was rosewood or richlite. That is all.

User Info Menu

That guitar’s top and back with the speckles… is that another Gibson relic or is it a 50’s linoleum floor?
    Either way at 60,000US$ its……
    obscene.
    I fear this is where they will take the new archtop. Doctor lawyer hedge funders and maybe a drug dealer or two.
    Of course not you Doc Jeff).

User Info Menu

The L4 seems to have rounded fret ends that stop at the inner edge of the binding instead of the usual square ends that continue through nibs on the binding. Is this a refret or has Gibson changed the way they dress the frets?

2021 Gibson L-4 CES?-l4fret-png
    Last edited by aquin43; 11-01-2021 at 10:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    Who buys these things? Anyone?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Who buys these things? Anyone?
    fender is just as guilty. In fact there is another thread running related to this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aquin43
    The L4 seems to have rounded fret ends that stop at the inner edge of the binding instead of the usual square ends that continue through nibs on the binding. Is this a refret or has Gibson changed the way they dress the frets?

2021 Gibson L-4 CES?-l4fret-png
    That could be the result of the Gibson "nibs" in the binding, but the apparent offset of the inlay is more bothersome to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    That could be the result of the Gibson "nibs" in the binding, but the apparent offset of the inlay is more bothersome to me.
    I think the inlays are fine looking at the guitar as a whole. I think it’s just the way the photo is cropped here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    That guitar’s top and back with the speckles… is that another Gibson relic or is it a 50’s linoleum floor?
    Either way at 60,000US$ its……
    obscene.
    I fear this is where they will take the new archtop. Doctor lawyer hedge funders and maybe a drug dealer or two.
    Of course not you Doc Jeff).
    No, it's 7 grand. $6,999.00

The L4 is a carved top Gibson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    No, it's 7 grand. $6,999.00

The L4 is a carved top Gibson.
    That’s my fault. I muddied the water here by linking to a $60k art-carved Super 400 the same shop also has.