The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 108

User Info Menu

I am in search for an amp for home use. They don't have to be dead quiet, since my neighbour is a drummer .

Anyway, i am looking for a 10 inch speaker, low wattage amp with great cleans. It should be about 30 x 30 cm. Not to heavy. Budget is probably around €500. I prefer a used amp, unless i am sure it's a keeper.

Right now the short list is quite short:

- a fender pro junior iv

The PJ seems like a good buy, but i am a bit worried it will be to loud? Review point out the iv is the best of the bunch? Is that true?

Anyway: i'd like some feedback on the PJ and could use some other suggestions.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Super Champ XD.

User Info Menu

Is it better then the pro junior?

User Info Menu

Pro Jr. is fine as long as you want to stick with clean tone at home. I have one myself and it also can do the small gig thing.

User Info Menu

For a more or less classic jazz tone the DV Mark Little Jazz is a very popular amp, very suitable/capable for low volume gigging also.

User Info Menu

I tried the DV mark, but didn't like it.

User Info Menu

Then tell us WHY + WHAT you didn't like - maybe then someone can point you in the "right" direction....

User Info Menu

Being in europe, I’d look for a used 10” Mambo wedge. I have one for almost 10 years, it has proved extremely reliable, it’s sort of my reference. It can go super quiet at home (no noise, no hum in itself), in fact it’s the quietest amp I own, and the most silent with p90’s and -miracle!- CC pickups.
    On top, it can go from extremely quiet to study at home to really loud gig level. (In my experience)

User Info Menu

Never heard of a mambo wedge!
    not sure if they are sold in the Netherlands.

User Info Menu

The mambos are very good and will do for gigs too.

they are also quite pricey

User Info Menu

I use a Princeton. TBH I think it is the perfect practice amp, but you have to be careful because at practice room level it sounds so good…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    I am in search for an amp for home use. They don't have to be dead quiet, since my neighbour is a drummer .

Anyway, i am looking for a 10 inch speaker, low wattage amp with great cleans. It should be about 30 x 30 cm. Not to heavy. Budget is probably around €500. I prefer a used amp, unless i am sure it's a keeper.

Right now the short list is quite short:

- a fender pro junior iv

The PJ seems like a good buy, but i am a bit worried it will be to loud? Review point out the iv is the best of the bunch? Is that true?

Anyway: i'd like some feedback on the PJ and could use some other suggestions.
    If you can live with a 8 inch speaker a fender tweed champ or high quality clone like the Victoria 518 has plenty of character. If you must have a ten inch speaker the Laney Cub series or a Supro may fit your needs.

The second line of your request screams Fender Princeton.
    Last edited by alltunes; 10-24-2021 at 08:16 AM.

User Info Menu

I vote Princeton Reverb also, but with the right speaker. The speaker that comes in them (the reissues) stock, is actually fine at home volumes... when you turn the amp up it starts crapping out. But I say "with the right speaker", because the easiest way to tailor the voice of an amp is with the speaker. So, for example, if you are looking for "warm jazz tones", the stock speaker will do it... but a Celestion Greenback or Eminence Cannabis Rex will do it better.

But the main reason I say Princeton is it sounds GREAT at home volumes. It's a little bigger than 30cm tho... unless you want to get one of the little "jazz cubes" mentioned above, the PR will do very nicely, and should be easy to find.

I have never owned a Pro Junior, but it too should do fine. Smaller than the PR. Should be cheaper I think. But no reverb- I love having reverb ON the amp, personally. But the PJ has warmer tones than the PR (I think) and would also do nicely. But I would need a reverb pedal.

User Info Menu

A princeton can be had for €500? I really doubt that.
    A reverb is not needed. I have a good imagination . . .
    Laney Cubs don't come in a 10" version i think. Eight or twelve i believe.

I would really like to try a Fender '68 custum vibro champ (the reissue), but new they are too pricey and second hand not available.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    A reverb is not needed. I have a good imagination . . .
    Heh, I envy Your imagination!

I’ll second the Fender Super Champ XD. Excellent Fender cleans on the channel one. Plus possibly some distorted sounds if You like them. Small and handy amp.

You should get one for under 300€. Then You have still 200€ to get a new speaker to it. Some like Celestion Gold10 in it.

User Info Menu

The XD is attractive price wise and I will check them out, but I really like the simplicity of th pro junior.

User Info Menu

If you want a Pro Jr, then buy a Pro Jr, and get on with your life.

User Info Menu

If it only were that simple fora would not exist!

User Info Menu

Ain't that (both sgnosell's post and Marcel's reply) the truth!

My amp for home use and jazz gigs is a clone of the Fender tweed Deluxe (5E3) with an Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker (12 inch). It sounds very good at living room volume and it's loud enough for quintet gigs with two horns and a drummer, no PA. It is my favorite amp I have ever owned.

User Info Menu

I have both a Princeton (non-reverb) and a Pro Jr. (I have also played a number of Princeton Verb, and I have found them to be a little dirty-er, in a crunchy way, that won’t allow me to get the cleans that I like).

Both the Princeton and Pro Jr, are excellent amps. The cleans are a bit different but both make me happy. I would say the Pro Jr adds some more/different harmonic content and sooner then the Princeton.

The Princeton seems to be more focused and balanced. I think the focuse is coming from more extended high content, and that the balance is coming from a tighter bottom(ish) end (that could be in the low mids or high lows, not so much down in the lower low range).

The Pro Jr has a more pronounced mid range that is a little thicker/richer. (Not sure if that is because it lacks extended highs in comparison to other amps or whatnot).

I finds the Pro Jr cleans to be perfectly useful for jazz stuff. (I only have a simi-hollowbody with flatwounds. My other guitars have roundwounds on them. Not sure what would happen with a big hollowbody with fat strings).

Both amps can be loud(ish) however I think that the PJ could keep up with a drummer better. I would say that you get more harmonic content early in the volume on PJ and that as the amp gets turned up it gets richer faster and at a loud volume still stays clean(ish) enough for me. In someways it is more of a blues amp then a jazz amp but that is about what type of clean you want. (It is not a Twin or a JC). I would say the PJ is probably better for home use and even gig use. (I did buy my PJ during Covid and have not really put it through many possible uses.. so I am making a guess here).

At the same time even though I do not get to use my Princeton in jams or gig situations that much, there is a little chance of me ever selling that amp. It has such a beautiful tone.

(For reverb: there are great pedals and even spring tanks out there. Also/or a delay used in a certain way can really fill in the sound).

User Info Menu

I have a Fender SCXD and a Fishman Artist, either of which fit the characteristics you are describing and are also portable and cheapish.

What about the Fender Tonemaster Deluxe? Anybody want to suggest that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by foner
    Being in europe, I’d look for a used 10” Mambo wedge. I have one for almost 10 years, it has proved extremely reliable, it’s sort of my reference. It can go super quiet at home (no noise, no hum in itself), in fact it’s the quietest amp I own, and the most silent with p90’s and -miracle!- CC pickups.
    On top, it can go from extremely quiet to study at home to really loud gig level. (In my experience)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara

My amp for home use and jazz gigs is a clone of the Fender tweed Deluxe (5E3) with an Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker (12 inch). It sounds very good at living room volume and it's loud enough for quintet gigs with two horns and a drummer, no PA. It is my favorite amp I have ever owned.
    I have an original TV-front Tweed Deluxe (a 5C3, IIANM) that is a benchmark for clarity and punch. At higher gain levels it really sings!

I gigged with it, and it holds its own with a loud rhythm section.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara

Aaaand... regarding the Pro Junior, Eminence also makes a 10" of the Cannabis Rex speaker..

Buy Pro Junior IV Western Cannabis Rex Limited Edition Guitar Combo Amplifier | Sam Ash Music

But you should be able to get a used PJ under 500 (They are 550 USD new). Of course, it you WANTED reverb, that's extra (pedal).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I use a Princeton. TBH I think it is the perfect practice amp, but you have to be careful because at practice room level it sounds so good…
    If I may concur and expand on this thought a bit.... The Princeton, reverb or no, sounds fabulous at living room levels. It will sound different when pushed harder on stage, but that is not necessarily bad, it's just an item to be reckoned with - mic-ing to FOH and using the amp as a personal monitor seems to follow - the point being, the little beauties are just great-sounding amps that can make practicing not merely a necessary chore but a positive pleasure. This for me, is worth something.

As for budget, you may, with patience, find an amp with cosmetic issues for an acceptable financial outlay. Good luck in your quest.