The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 108

User Info Menu

Do you want just a clean jazz amp, or something that can rock out too?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I wouldn't call it 'rockin' out' but an edge is nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    I think that is too big, but is fender thinking about a smaller amp in the tonemaster series? That would be great. A 10" speakered amp with the tonemaster technologie.

The Princeton is cheaper than i thought. New it's still €1.000,-. Maybe after trading in my Koch? Maybe second hand.
    After reading your preferences in this thread, it seems that a Fender Vibro Champ Tonemaster amp might work for you.

https://www.fender.com/en-US/guitar-...279000000.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Indeed. Altho he would need the smallest one: the Classic 20. I owned a Classic 20 combo, it did not have much headroom... it was a little dirt box.But the Classics are underrated, due to the badge reading "Peavey" instead of "Fender". Great amps. I owned a Classic 50 410 for years, but it just got too big/heavy to deal with, I've switched to 1x12/1x10 combos.
    I had a Classic 30 and yes a great amp, but heavy and LOUD. Didn't suit my purposes at all.

The Classic 20 seemed like a good deal, but they stopped making them quite awhile ago, and they didn't have reverb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    After reading your preferences in this thread, it seems that a Fender Vibro Champ Tonemaster amp might work for you.

Unless I'm mistaken, this is a real tube amp not a SS Tonemaster. The Deluxe TM would seem to offer a bit more bang for the buck--weight not much more, though larger speaker, more wattage--if one can live with a modelling amp instead of tube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler

Not a Tonemaster, but indeed a nice little amp. Hard to get, still a bit too expensive. It depends a bit on what i get for the Koch.
    If a shop has both this vibro and the PJ i could compare.

User Info Menu

That Vibrochamp is almost the same price as that second hand Elfring at TFOA. I played both: the Elfring has much, much more headroom. AFAIC much better suited for jazz than the Fender.

User Info Menu

That's why i said that is is a bit too expensive. And why would i need headroom? I understand that you like Elfring, but unless they cut their prices in half i am not interested.

Why is the Session Bluesbaby 22 only available in Sessions online store? I'd really like to try one!

User Info Menu

That's why i said that is is a bit too expensive. And why would i need headroom?
    Headroom works for you even when your not using it. The idea is it can reproduce sound without clipping very useful for jazz. It gives clarity and thump. I'd look for all the headroom I could get while staying in your price range. All things equal (which they never are) more power will sound better even at lower volumes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I’m having trouble buying a Quilter Superblock US. Supply chain issues I think?
    I’ve had one on order for about 2 months at MF. First the estimated delivery date was 10/7. Then it was moved to 10/25, and now it’s late November. Those bound for the US are probably on the cargo ships stuck off Southern California ports, but I don’t know how they get from China to the UK.

Strangely enough, the new Aviator Cub has been in stock the entire time.

User Info Menu

That's why i said that is is a bit too expensive. And why would i need headroom? I understand that you like Elfring, but unless they cut their prices in half i am not interested.

Why is the Session Bluesbaby 22 only available in Sessions online store? I'd really like to try one!
    Nevermind, only trying to help.

User Info Menu

I understand, but if the budget is €500,- it does not help suggesting an amp that is double that used.

User Info Menu

I'm curious as to why you are insistent on a 10" speaker? If your concern is that a 12" would be too bassy and an 8" not bassy enough, IME it's not that straightforward. There are boomy 10's and light sounding 12's. And while 8's generally are less bassy than either 10's or 12's that can be be a good thing, especially with an archtop. If you're open to 12's, I'd suggest a Fender Blues Jr.

FWIW, I have a Princeton Reverb with a Jensen C10Q instead of the stock C10R, and it's significantly louder with cleaner and tighter sounding lows than a stock PRRI. Turned up to the point where it really starts to sing, it's loud enough for drums and horns (and too loud for my apartment, though at apartment friendly volume it's still a great sound). Strictly for home playing (and if it truly has to be a 10) a stock PRRI might be better. You could probably find a used one within your budget. I also have a Fender Champion 20, which is seriously cheap (about $100), but is a great sounding amp. It has an 8" speaker, and I don't really find myself missing low end when I use it. I would say a Super Champ X2 (same models as my C20, bigger speaker, tube power section) does sound a bit "bigger" but it's not a dramatic difference. The C20 is way lighter (I carry it to jams, gigs etc., on the subway all the time).

Going in a different direction, I once tried a Bugera v5 (again, 8" speaker, but all tubes), and I thought it sounded great (very tweed Champ-like, plus reverb), and is well within your budget.

User Info Menu

I know of few amps with a 12" speaker that are small and light. I don't insist on a 10", i insist on small and light. The BJ is to big.

Don't know about 8" speakers. I owned a lacey with a 8" speaker a while and didn't like it. Small and boxy.

User Info Menu

I agree with John A on the Bugera V5 combo. It’s a wonderful little amp that’s built very well, sounds great, and lists for about $300 USD. Yes, it’s “only” an 8” speaker, but it makes excellent bass and is a great jazz amp for home use. I usually use an 8” (Little Jazz or Elf head and 8” RevSound cab) on my outside gigs and a DV Jazz 12 at the club in which I play weekly. All are great in our apartment as well. I also have a SF Vibrolux, a tweed Blues Deluxe, and a CS Princeton Reverb at the club - but I stopped using even amps like this at home because the little ones are so good and so much easier to move around.

I do have a Quilter Superblock US on order to replace my other little tube head, a Vox NightTrain 15 that sounds great but weighs 17 pounds and is posted for sale now. The leap from 17 pounds to 1 1/2 is the final step in a decline that began with a twin and a 65 pound EVM loaded Mesa Boogie, moving like clockwork as I aged through a Vibrolux, a Boogie Subway, a Walkabout, etc down to the Vox, a Crate PowerBlock and the Elf.

Of course, your other option is a Toob or other light speaker cab with the head of your choice. There are several fine heads (class D, tube, and old style SS) that sound great and cost very little. Even the more powerful pedal amps are quite fine. If you can find or order one where you are, the ElectroHarmonix Magnum 44 pedal amp is a steal and a great choice for home use with a small, efficient speaker cab.

User Info Menu

I know of few amps with a 12" speaker that are small and light. I don't insist on a 10", i insist on small and light. The BJ is to big.

Don't know about 8" speakers. I owned a lacey with a 8" speaker a while and didn't like it. Small and boxy.
    I think your definition of small and light within your budget probably limits you to 8" speakers. The only widely available amp I know that comes close to your requirements that has a 10 is Pro Jr. There are some great sounding amps with 10s within your budget (e.g., Supro), but they're bigger and/or heavier than what you say you can deal with. If you're willing to devote a lot of time to a search you might be able to scare up some sort of vintage Valco/Supro/National amp that fits the bill, but that's kind of a needle in a haystack, especially outside the US.

User Info Menu

You might be right, but that is no reason to settle for something i don't like. Maybe I'll buy the Pro Junior.
    The only amp so far that has a 12" speaker and isn't too big is the Koch SE6. The trouble is that is not really available near where i live.
    Patience . . . .

User Info Menu

Have you considered the Boss Katana 50 1x12"? It's light (11.6 kg), verstile, small (470x398x238mm), and sounds great. I played through one at a local Guitar Center near me in the US and loved it - I'd be very happy with it in our apartment and could gig with it too. I know that Anderton's sells it, but I have no idea if they ship to the Netherlands or if there's a dealer more accessible to you. They're $250 USD brand new and one of the best little amps out there. It's another great consideration for you.

User Info Menu

Hey Never…l see a lot of polemic comments on the Katana. Some say it has a nice jazz tone and some say it’s impossible with that amp. What did you think?
    jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Hey Never…l see a lot of polemic comments on the Katana. Some say it has a nice jazz tone and some say it’s impossible with that amp. What did you think?
    jk
    I didn't push it hard, to avoid spoiling the playtime of the many Stevie Ray wannabees ripping it up all around me. But I thought it was pretty good with effects off except for a touch of reverb. The Brown sim is pretty cool for low volume jazzy tones. But when you push it at all, Brown breaks up more and earlier than the old Deluxes etc used by the great players we all loved. It'd be great at home volumes, though. The Clean sim is a bit better for jazz with neck humbuckers, if you want more volume than the Brown will deliver cleanly. But it was a bit harsh with the hot bridge HBs that come on heavy metal 7s. I didn't try it with a SC guitar - I usually grab the best 7 string on the wall when I try out an amp, and they all have razor wire instead of strings. I suspect the Katana 50 would sound even fuller with real strings on the guitar. But I think I could live with it nicely as a practice amp and for home recording.

If I were serious about it, though, I'd take one of my guitars over to try it out. It seems to have great potential, but you can't be sure until you play your own instrument through it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    SS amp's (or digitals) make great workhorse practice amps because you can just leave them on all day and everytime you pickup your guitar they are ready to go. If you play sporadically thought-out the day/night that's something to consider.

As much as SS amps sound great and I use them most the time, I do agree that a Princeton or other small tube amps offer something a little extra tonewise. But if you already have a tube amp, then I'd say an SS amp for daily practicing might be more practical.
    ZT Lunchbox Junior. Placement is an issue, but it's my main amp at this point. With or without reverb plugged into the front.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Have you considered the Boss Katana 50 1x12"? It's light (11.6 kg), verstile, small (470x398x238mm), and sounds great.
    No, i didn't consider this amp. Mainly because it is too big. My current amp is pretty much this size and (i guess) way better than a Katana.
    I believe there is a Cube that has a 10" speaker? The Cube 30?

User Info Menu

No, i didn't consider this amp. Mainly because it is too big. My current amp is pretty much this size and (i guess) way better than a Katana.
    I believe there is a Cube that has a 10" speaker? The Cube 30?
    The Roland Cube 30 has a 10". I've never played through the current ones. I had an original Cube years ago and loved it, but the new ones are modeling amps and totally different from the early ones. They get great reviews - but like anything else, you have to play through it yourself to know if it's right for you. Sorry I can't help with that one.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 10-27-2021 at 09:39 AM.

User Info Menu

Cubes are great.

User Info Menu

I had one years ago. Why did i sell it again?