Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 108
  1. #76

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    You might be right, but that is no reason to settle for something i don't like. Maybe I'll buy the Pro Junior.
    The only amp so far that has a 12" speaker and isn't too big is the Koch SE6. The trouble is that is not really available near where i live.
    Patience . . . .
    Wanting something that doesn't exist is no reason to settle for something else? Interesting ...

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #77

    User Info Menu

    Maybe you should read this thread. There are already 3 or maybe 4 good suggestions.

  4. #78

    User Info Menu

    Oke, the Koch has been sold, so i am in the market for a new amp.
    The short list for its replacement:

    - fender pro jr iv
    - fender super champ xd (i hate all the modeling and effects, but everybody seems to like it, so i'll give it a try)
    - Koch SE 6 (despite its 12" speaker it's small enough)

    Since a Cube 30 doesn't cost a lot second hand i can allways pick one up if available nearby. Just to give it a go.

    Just one more question: what are the differences between the different version of the pro junior? Does it really make a difference which model i pick up?

  5. #79

    User Info Menu

    fender super champ xd (i hate all the modeling and effects, but everybody seems to like it, so i'll give it a try)”

    Well, the secret of the SCXD is that channel 1 is not modeling and it has very good fender
    clean tube sound.

    The channel 2 has all the modelings but one does not need to use them!

    Here is a video about a guy who has a SCXD and changed the speaker to Celestion Gold 10:


  6. #80

    User Info Menu

    I don’t intend to swap anything. What are you saying? The SCXD is a bad amp?

  7. #81

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    I don’t intend to swap anything. What are you saying? The SCXD is a bad amp?
    No no, I only wanted to point out that there is possibilities to make it even better!

  8. #82

    User Info Menu

    Better in what way? Different at best. People buy amps and start swapping speakers and tubes without giving it too much thought. And it allways sounds better, which is strange. And it is hard to tell anyway, because people never A/B old en new.

  9. #83

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Better in what way? Different at best. People buy amps and start swapping speakers and tubes without giving it too much thought. And it allways sounds better, which is strange. And it is hard to tell anyway, because people never A/B old en new.
    Ok if You think so.

    Just trying to help.

  10. #84

    User Info Menu

    I didn't mean to be rude or anything, but it happens a lot: "this is a great amp, my advice is to swap everything in it".
    That doesn't work for me.

  11. #85

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    I didn't mean to be rude or anything, but it happens a lot: "this is a great amp, my advice is to swap everything in it".
    That doesn't work for me.
    Did I say so? Hmm, then I'm sorry, didn't mean to.

  12. #86

    User Info Menu

    Yeah, ok... I think 4 pages is enough for the OP to make a decision... at this point he's arguing with suggestions people are making... Good luck marcel, make a decision and go buy an amp, this ain't rocket science....

  13. #87

    User Info Menu

    Well, I just had one more question. About the different versions of the pro junior. It would help if somebody knew.

  14. #88

    User Info Menu

    Hey Marcel, I had an early pro jr. (the black one so verion 2 I think) for years and loved it. Very easy to operate – vol & tone. It was a bit noisy though but I think they fixed it with the new version. At home, played quiet it will be a clean amp but if you crank it in the band it can deliver clean and dirty tones that you can control with your picking dynamics and the guitar's controls. Very classic old school approach. You should be able to get a used one for less than 500 €.

  15. #89

    User Info Menu

    The IV is made of particle board, the III with plywood, don't remember the other.

    Regarding speakers changes. If Fender try to sell a Champ XD with a Gold 10 as the stock speaker, they don't sell much units because the high asking price. A Gold 10 makes almost any amp a better amp, is a really nice speaker.

  16. #90

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesR

    Regarding speakers changes. If Fender try to sell a Champ XD with a Gold 10 as the stock speaker, they don't sell much units because the high asking price. A Gold 10 makes almost any amp a better amp, is a really nice speaker.
    Not to start a debate, but this kind of general remarks don't make sense. If you can tell me what's wrong with the original speaker and why the gold 10 is going to fix that, things would be different. But telling me that a particular speaker has some kind of magic, well . . . . no. Most amps sound different after a speakerswitch. That's it, they sound different.

  17. #91

    User Info Menu

    He's not saying it sounds different. He's saying it sounds better. He's right. Magic is not involved, just more expensive materials and construction.

  18. #92

    User Info Menu

    Just another general remark. More expensive is better . . . .

  19. #93

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Not to start a debate, but this kind of general remarks don't make sense. If you can tell me what's wrong with the original speaker and why the gold 10 is going to fix that, things would be different. But telling me that a particular speaker has some kind of magic, well . . . . no. Most amps sound different after a speakerswitch. That's it, they sound different.
    The Jensen P10R in the Pro Junior is an excellent espeaker and matched well the amps character. You can change it and put a Gold 10, different sound, you can like it more or less.

    The speaker in the Super Champ XD is not a good one, but fits the production budget and if you don't like it you can put a good one, the one that you like it more.

    What I don't like on the Pro Junior is the particle board construction.

    Money aside, a good speaker should let all the nuances of your playing to be present in the sound ..and have a good tone. I've a WGS Veteran 10" (cheap but good) in my amp and love it.

    My advice is to save more money and get a good amp with a good speaker.

    Or get the Koch SE6, but have a 12" not a 10" that is what you are asking for in your first entry. Amazing amp but don't have reverb so if you like reverb you need to put more money in your budget (the same with the Pro Junior).

    Or get the Pro Junior as it is.

    But try them first, the Koch and the Fender are really different amps.

  20. #94

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    He's not saying it sounds different. He's saying it sounds better. He's right. Magic is not involved, just more expensive materials and construction.
    Thanks!

  21. #95

    User Info Menu

    Yesterday, a guy came over and played his fine archtop straight into my spare amp, a JC55.

    I don't use the JC55 much because I like the Little Jazz better, although I sometimes use both of them together.

    The JC55 wouldn't even be on an archtop expert's list of amps to consider. Solid state, Roland hiss and generally reputed to be icy or brittle in sound.

    But, he sounded awesome.

    I understand the urge to experiment (and have done so) and then I remind myself that great players sound like themselves even with cheaper gear -- and also that they use their usual gear for a reason. I'm straddling the fence.

  22. #96

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesR
    The Jensen P10R in the Pro Junior is an excellent espeaker and matched well the amps character. You can change it and put a Gold 10, different sound, you can like it more or less.

    The speaker in the Super Champ XD is not a good one, but fits the production budget and if you don't like it you can put a good one, the one that you like it more.

    What I don't like on the Pro Junior is the particle board construction.

    Money aside, a good speaker should let all the nuances of your playing to be present in the sound ..and have a good tone. I've a WGS Veteran 10" (cheap but good) in my amp and love it.

    My advice is to save more money and get a good amp with a good speaker.

    Or get the Koch SE6, but have a 12" not a 10" that is what you are asking for in your first entry. Amazing amp but don't have reverb so if you like reverb you need to put more money in your budget (the same with the Pro Junior).

    Or get the Pro Junior as it is.

    But try them first, the Koch and the Fender are really different amps.
    I used Koch pretty much half my life, so the SE6 is a favourite. But it is not that often that I come across one. I am aware that it has a 12” but it is still pretty small.
    I don’t need a reverb.
    The pro junior is a good second on my list. Still available new, so I can try them everywhere. The downside is that 15 watts is a bit too much.

  23. #97

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    The downside is that 15 watts is a bit too much.
    I never dreamed I’d live to hear that from a guitarist!

  24. #98

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar

    I understand the urge to experiment (and have done so) and then I remind myself that great players sound like themselves even with cheaper gear -- and also that they use their usual gear for a reason. I'm straddling the fence.
    I experimented with pretty much everything a guitarist can. At one point I stopped doing that. I realised most of the time I was just kidding myself that tubes speakers cables different amps would make me sound better. I am not saying there is no good stuff and not so good stuff, but once you have good stuff, other good stuff is just different good stuff.

  25. #99

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Just another general remark. More expensive is better . . . .
    Marcel, are you quite sure you are asking for people's help and suggestions here?

  26. #100

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    I experimented with pretty much everything a guitarist can. At one point I stopped doing that. I realised most of the time I was just kidding myself that tubes speakers cables different amps would make me sound better. I am not saying there is no good stuff and not so good stuff, but once you have good stuff, other good stuff is just different good stuff.
    I totally get this point of view, and agree with it. But it begs the question:

    Why are you still asking for other's opinions? You seem to know already what you do and don't like/want, what is/isn't "better"/"different". You've obviously got enough gear experience to know that the only way you will GET YOUR ANSWER is buy something and try it. Internet opinions are fine for maybe finding a general direction (and you've been given that by posters here), but it seems to me the time has come to BUY ONE OF THEM, take it home, and see how you like it. Because that is the ONLY way you will KNOW.

    In the meantime, I'm now researching Pro Juniors LOL. I wanted one years ago, after playing one that had a Greenback in it... then I forgot about them.... I'm actually researching "Pro Junior vs 57 Champ" right now LOL....