The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

Lucky to get this guitar I had been sort of looking for an L5c and this custom shop came up. It was own by a forum member years ago and well taken care of. This is 2003 with a special Red finish but you can see through to the wood grain easily. This is not the standard Red but a variation and I really like it, guitar is super clean condition. I don't think it has really been played that much at all.

I got 10 days ago and after spending sometime thought everyone would enjoy the pictures. It came with flatwounds and the tunomatic but I carved a new ebony saddle and it intonates fine. I strung it up with some .12-.52 roundwounds and between those and my playing the guitar for hours on end it has already opened up in sound. I know many do not believe that to be true but I don't care what anyone says, this has really opened up. The neck is perfect and the sound is a bit on the bright side compared to my other archtops. It is close to the Legrand I have and I do hear a signature type sound. This guitar was built and voiced as and acoustic. Has a BJB floating and sounds wonderful through the amp. In fact to tell the truth in some ways the flatwounds sound better for some types of playing. For smooth chord melody the flats are nice. I feel pretty blessed and thanks to Mike!

Gibson L-5c-img_1902-jpg

Gibson L-5c-img_1903-jpg

Gibson L-5c-img_1906-jpg

Gibson L-5c-img_1909-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Mark,
    Congrats!! A real beauty and a smart buy.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

It doesn't matter what anyone says on your NGD. You're automatically right.

As with cars, red is always hard to photograph but in person, it's often a very alluring colour.

Looks great!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Archie; 10-22-2021 at 06:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Wonderful news!
    Play it in good health.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-23-2021 at 03:55 AM.

User Info Menu

I’m really glad I sold this to Mark, and it was nice having him up to the Casa

he got to play a couple other guitars of mine while he was here

BigMike

User Info Menu

That was owned by at least 3 forum members.

Congrats!

User Info Menu

Fantastic Mark! Congrats and may she inspire your playing for many years to come!

User Info Menu

Mark got to play my 1939 gibson L5 with the Charlie Christian pick up on it

Also my recent acquisition of the Heritage Johnny Smith rose

and my 18 inch unity with the angel on the headstock

And my 1956 gibson L5 with a double P 90s

User Info Menu

Mark, I’m really pleased for you, and for the guitar. Good to hear such a fine guitar is getting some playing!

User Info Menu

Very nice. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    Mark got to play my 1939 gibson L5 with the Charlie Christian pick up on it

Also my recent acquisition of the Heritage Johnny Smith rose

and my 18 inch unity with the angel on the headstock

And my 1956 gibson L5 with a double P 90s
    It was a fine day for sure. The Heritage JS clearly is a winner guitar and maybe the most underrated Johnny Smith Guitar. Acoustically it was superior to the Guild JS that I played. The neck and workmanship is first rate. The more I see Heritage the better I am finding them as guitars. Equal to a Gibson JS easily in any era.

The Unity 18 inch was smoker for sure. I had never actually played a Unity Guitar at least that I remembered. The first impression was that it clearly sounded very different than the Gibson L5. It had a bass presence for sure, and being an 18 inch that would make sense. It was not a heavy guitar and the neck superb. When I played it frankly it reminded me a bit of my 1949 D'angelico in the middle of the neck. That tells me Aaron Cowles was carving sound based on response as he carved.

Then of course a Gibson with double P 90s is just another animal entirely. I think with a guitar like that through the tube amp I heard it through would stop you in your tracks. I would probably not be the best player to give the P90 a demo but I am pretty certain the Dutch Bopper could have made it sound like Tal in his prime.

I have to say though really even though we talk guitar and the guitar is the point of focus, in reality it is the people we meet and befriend and interact with that are the real treasure!

User Info Menu

It was a great pleasure having Mark in my home
    And I can say without reservation that he is a great person to do business there’s no nonsense no headaches he comes and has a good time
    he got that Gibson home and made himself a nice wooden bridge for it and the only thing I wish he do that he hasn’t done it is put a hidden Schatten
    tone pot on the other side the pick guard Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

i sold two other huge pieces in my collection recently I sold my gibson Citation to a friend of Marks on Wednesday

and I also sold my 18 inch Heritage Johnny smith back to Marty Grass

I still have so many amazing Guitar started to play today I went through all the cases I must’ve route 25 and I got all of my unity archtop stacked on the bed and this weekend I’m gonna play the living crap out of all of them

BigMike

User Info Menu

Nice score Deacon!
    Know you've been looking for an acoustic L5 for awhile, enjoy that one.....
    (but the "Big" question (ahem) is did Mike avail you of his culinary delights?)

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Nice score Deacon!
    Know you've been looking for an acoustic L5 for awhile, enjoy that one.....
    (but the "Big" question (ahem) is did Mike avail you of his culinary delights?)
    No but I am decent cook. Some people eat to live but I live to eat. Today I put sweet Italian sausages in crock pot with unpeeled golden potatoes. On all day 12 hours on low. Had them for dinner covered in Romano cheese with some garlic bread. A Great Lakes Octoberfest with the operation. Time to snooze till Lauds….

User Info Menu

It’s about a 2 Hour Dr. from Normal where Mark lives to my place and that day there was some pretty good rain coming across Illinois that he would’ve driven through so there wasn’t really time for him to relax

If he could’ve stayed there was chicken and sweet corn enchiladas in a mild creamy green chili sauce

User Info Menu

Big Mike,

Enjoy the weekend with the Unity guitars. Aaron Cowles was a master.

I will be playing my Unity too.

User Info Menu

Yowza!! Congrats, Deacon!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    It was a great pleasure having Mark in my home
    And I can say without reservation that he is a great person to do business there’s no nonsense no headaches he comes and has a good time
    he got that Gibson home and made himself a nice wooden bridge for it and the only thing I wish he do that he hasn’t done it is put a hidden Schatten
    tone pot on the other side the pick guard Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

i sold two other huge pieces in my collection recently I sold my gibson Citation to a friend of Marks on Wednesday

and I also sold my 18 inch Heritage Johnny smith back to Marty Grass

I still have so many amazing Guitar started to play today I went through all the cases I must’ve route 25 and I got all of my unity archtop stacked on the bed and this weekend I’m gonna play the living crap out of all of them

BigMike
    I reflect how the JGF brought people from great distances and various backgrounds together.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I reflect how the JGF brought people from great distances and various backgrounds together.
    I've met two members in the last two months and I'm about to meet another on Sunday.

User Info Menu

I have to say though really even though we talk guitar and the guitar is the point of focus, in reality it is the people we meet and befriend and interact with that are the real treasure![/QUOTE]

Mark,
    This part of your post really sheds light on whats important in life. I've made some great friendships on this forum - and I appreciate the efforts everyone makes to stay connected. We are all getting older.... and can never have too many friends.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Congrats Mark. What a gorgeous L-5! Thanks for sharing the details and the photos. The first Gibson archtop I ever played had a deep, transparent red finish and I still dream about it 45 years later.

Enjoy! Can’t wait to see/hear it!

User Info Menu

What a beautiful guitar, and great story. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

If Mike fed me once I’d still be there. His food looks addicting.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Deacon! That sure is a beauty! And your story is wonderful too. I doubt I could have passed up a meal at Big Mike's though. It must have been a serious storm. Cheers, and I wish you much pleasure on that guitar. It's very cool.

User Info Menu

I love happy endings. Mark being a deacon don’t forget to play
    The Old Rugged Cross on your new beautiful L5.
    A huge Congrats ! and God bless. You are one of the great guys around here. Always kind and helpful. Very happy for you my friend.