The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 78

User Info Menu

I'd like some thoughts on this almost impossibly nice ES-175.

If it seems legitimate, I'm going to put an offer in.

Seller won't ship and wants cash. If anyone from outside the UK is interested, I can facilitate in purchasing and shipping. Just PM me.

Seller wants £5999 or offers. Price is a bit high and guitar has been for sale for about 4 weeks.

I'm posting it here though to ask about the condition of the finish and it's potential to have been refinished.

Thoughts On This Near Immaculate 1951 Gibson ES-175-s-l1600-1-jpgThoughts On This Near Immaculate 1951 Gibson ES-175-s-l1600-2-jpgThoughts On This Near Immaculate 1951 Gibson ES-175-s-l1600-3-jpgThoughts On This Near Immaculate 1951 Gibson ES-175-s-l1600-4-jpgThoughts On This Near Immaculate 1951 Gibson ES-175-s-l1600-5-jpgThoughts On This Near Immaculate 1951 Gibson ES-175-s-l1600-7-jpgThoughts On This Near Immaculate 1951 Gibson ES-175-s-l1600-8-jpgThoughts On This Near Immaculate 1951 Gibson ES-175-s-l1600-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Thoughts On This Near Immaculate 1951 Gibson ES-175-s-l1600-6-jpg 
    Last edited by Archie; 10-20-2021 at 04:51 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sweet!
    When did Gibson start putting the serial number on back of the head? Was that a later thing?

User Info Menu

The colour of the neck doesn't look right but I know very little about vintage ES-175's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Sweet!
    When did Gibson start putting the serial number on back of the head? Was that a later thing?
    Don't know. I've usually been interested in vintage Japanese and post 80's American stuff.

User Info Menu

Looks good. Who would make a fake one of those? Two pickup models sell for way more. And PAF models sell for the most.

User Info Menu

Neck color is fine. That tailpiece was introduced in 1957 and is not original to the guitar. The pickguard is not factory mounted; there should be no screw visible on the top. Finish looks amazing, check for overspray.

Single pickup 175s are sick. I don't think you'll have much if any FOMO about other guitars if you get this.

User Info Menu

It sure looks like a refin to my naked and untrained eyes. But who knows for sure?

The serial number (#8504) and label look legit.

With the help of Mr. Google I located its blonde younger sister or brother (#8503) and linked it here for comparison by the experts on this forum.

1951 Gibson ES-175 Blonde > Guitars Archtop Electric & Acoustic | Authentic Guitars Inc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Looks good. Who would make a fake one of those? Two pickup models sell for way more. And PAF models sell for the most.
    That is my conclusion too but having bought my fair share of guitars, I never cease to be amazed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    It sure looks like a refin to my naked and untrained eyes. But who knows for sure?

The serial number (#8504) and label look legit.

With the help of Mr. Google I located its blonde younger sister or brother (#8503) and linked it here for comparison by the experts on this forum.

1951 Gibson ES-175 Blonde > Guitars Archtop Electric & Acoustic | Authentic Guitars Inc.

It looks like a refin to me, hence why I wanted to check. Excellent work on the search there.

User Info Menu

I saw that on ebay too. I thought it was a bit steep as there was a sunburst single p90 175 for I think around 4.5k a short while back. Wrong tailpiece. I would love to buy something like that but my job is not looking totally secure unfortunately.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Neck color is fine. That tailpiece was introduced in 1957 and is not original to the guitar. The pickguard is not factory mounted; there should be no screw visible on the top. Finish looks amazing, check for overspray.

Single pickup 175s are sick. I don't think you'll have much if any FOMO about other guitars if you get this.
    I've not seen anything close to that colour on searches but I'm not discounting it. If you can show me some more examples that would help.
    I saw the pickguard being mounted oddly, not a huge deal but worth checking in person.
    Was unaware regarding the tail piece. I'm not a big Vintage Gibson guy yet.

Thanks for the input.

Not sure what FOMO is but if it has anything to do with not needing to buy more guitars, you don't know me very well )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon
    I saw that on ebay too. I thought it was a bit steep as there was a sunburst single p90 175 for I think around 4.5k a short while back. Wrong tailpiece. I would love to buy something like that but my job is not looking totally secure unfortunately.
    The sunburst was nice but was nowhere the condition of this one.

User Info Menu

6,000 quid seems a bit steep considering that an antique Welsh dresser can be had for under 3k.

User Info Menu

One at least of the tuning pegs is stamped but some aren't?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    I've not seen anything close to that colour on searches but I'm not discounting it. If you can show me some more examples that would help.
    I saw the pickguard being mounted oddly, not a huge deal but worth checking in person.

Thanks for the input.

Not sure what FOMO is but if it has anything to do with not needing to buy more guitars, you don't know me very well )
    A mate has a 1961 blonde 175 and I'm sure the neck is a similar colour. I don't think the blonde ones had any stain or colour on the neck.

FOMO is fear of missing out, something that often leads to compulsive guitar buying I have found!!

User Info Menu

Don't forget that most 175's have hog necks when discussing color. Yes the zig zag tp is a later feature but that looks like an old later 50s nickel plated one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by plasticpigeon
    A mate has a 1961 blonde 175 and I'm sure the neck is a similar colour. I don't think the blonde ones had any stain or colour on the neck.

FOMO is fear of missing out, something that often leads to compulsive guitar buying I have found!!
    Ah I see. There is an expression my dad told me when I was young "there's always another deal".
    And he's right. There will be another blonde in even better condition and for a better price at some point.

Regarding the neck colour, if someone can show me an example I'd love to see it. I just can't find any.
    I agree with you about the lack of stain being the likely issue but that stain could have also come off, or the wrong stain used in the a re-fin?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Don't forget that most 175's have hog necks when discussing color. Yes the zig zag tp is a later feature but that looks like an old later 50s nickel plated one.
    What do you mean by hog necks and its relation to colour.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven

Thanks for the input.

Here's my 57. Same as yours. Darkness of the neck has more to do with exposure to UV light over the years, which tends to darken/amber the nitro.

Thoughts On This Near Immaculate 1951 Gibson ES-175-img_1478-jpgThoughts On This Near Immaculate 1951 Gibson ES-175-img_1480-jpgThoughts On This Near Immaculate 1951 Gibson ES-175-img_1481-jpg

User Info Menu

It looks like a refin to me. My '58 has lots of natural crazing. Necks from that era usually much darker if original - but it's possibly original, if it lived in a case at a constant temperature and humidity. Blacklighting it might be helpful. With all due respect to the now defunct Chandler's shop, in my direct experience they weren't experts on old 175s.

Great looking guitar though!

User Info Menu

FYI, mine also has very little finish checking, but I've blacklighted all over the guitar, especially where lacquer has worn off, where there are old dings that go to the wood, under the pickup covers, etc. and there is no evidence of any overspray or refinish. It's possible for a 50s Gibson to have made it this far with no checking depending on how it was stored.

User Info Menu

The lacquer on the back of the headstock looks quite bad, very little filler in the grain. On a refin you usually have to re-apply pore filler.
    Could be factory quality though. It is an Es-175.

User Info Menu

Thoughts On This Near Immaculate 1951 Gibson ES-175-51-l4cn-jpg
    That looks like it is in unplayed condition if orig finish...
    Here's my 51 L4CN for comparison ...hope it helps!

User Info Menu

...not apples to apples as L4 has a solid wood (not lam) top..

User Info Menu

Pickguard mounting looks right for me as does the pickup (little more narrow as later models).
    But as a 51 it should have 19 frets just as the sister one serial number away.
    Maybe a factory re-neck / repair in the mid to late 50ies?