User Info Menu

Hi Rob
    Really nice sound! Indo like that one)
    jk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks, digger!

User Info Menu

Thanks, JK! I just need to get to work on these two fine instruments!

User Info Menu

Rob it sounds wonderful you got a winner and these really are the point of diminishing returns. You could spend many times the money and not get any better sound.

User Info Menu

That's what I'm thinking, Mark. Lucky to have it. Thanks for the encouragement!

User Info Menu

It does sound like a canon Rob. I've spent many times more on guitar's which didn't sound any better than your new Eastman. I love the look too! And your accent!

User Info Menu

What accent? ?

I mumble incoherently sometimes when making videos, as I am literally talking to myself. But in teaching on Zoom I am clear and articulate, as I am literally talking to someone else.

Very happy with both my acquisitions lately, though have said goodbye to three others. C’est la vie!

User Info Menu

Eastmans are Benedetto clones, so no surprise they sound brighter than Gibsons. When they were starting the company, they tried to get Bob to show their craftsmen how to build a guitar. He told them to just buy his book, and so they did. They follow it to this day.

And yes, the wooden cover on the tailpiece is just screwed onto a metal tailpiece. But it does affect the sound, noticeably. I've tried removing the wood and playing with just the metal tailpiece, and quickly put the wood back on. It tames the treble jangle quite a lot.

User Info Menu

Good to know, sgosnell. Stewmac sells a solid ebony Benedetto-style tp, but I can’t find a European outlet that does.

User Info Menu

And once you have the tailpiece, you need the attaching cord, and a strong endpin to hold it. The cello-style tailpiece looks good, but it's difficult to use. That's one reason why most manufacturers, both boutique and factory, went to the wood-on-metal style instead. You get the looks and some of the tonal characteristics without the hassle. Not to mention the difficulty in grounding the strings. I built one instrument using the full wooden tailpiece, and one was enough.

User Info Menu

Fair enough. I’ll look further into it all. There’s no hurry.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

The Eastman style tailpiece is widely available at a reasonable price. Lots of tailpieces of all styles available on ebay UK.

User Info Menu

That's a gorgeous guitar, and I LOVE the color I would consider putting a pickguard on it, but that's as far as I would take that (the consideration, I mean - I wouldn't actually change it.)

User Info Menu

Cheers, Jim. To my surprise, the absence of the pick guard doesn't bother me at all. And that's a good thing, as those things often become the source of buzzing. Happy to get by without it.

User Info Menu

What a terrific instrument - gorgeous and great-sounding! Congratulations, and play it in good health morning, noon, and night!

User Info Menu

Thanks, citizen. I’m doing what I can, but must occasionally sleep…