The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 67

User Info Menu

New Violinmaster Telecaster Relic Guitar From Fender's Custom Shop - Jazz Guitar Today

Limited edition Violinmaster Telecaster® Relic® guitar from principal master builder, Yuriy Shishkov.

Only $30,000 usd. !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For 30 Gees you'd think it wouldn't be a bolt-on neck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    So we can put you down for three guitars then?

I can't help but think what else you could get for that money from any of a dozen world class luthiers!

User Info Menu

Maybe the Strad that inspired it was a bolt-on

All kidding aside, I was fascinated to learn that bolt-on and adjustable necks on stringed instruments are neither new ideas or limited to guitars. There have been fine classical instruments with these features for a few hundred years and several contemporary makers use bolt on necks. I don't know if Stradivarius made any with these features himself (I haven't ever been able to find details of who actually did the deeds or when), but there are some well known instruments of his that were either made with or were later modified to have these features, e.g. this 1730 bass:

New Violinmaster Telecaster Relic Guitar From Fender’s Custom Shop-strad_bass_1730-jpg

and this Strad cello:

New Violinmaster Telecaster Relic Guitar From Fender’s Custom Shop-strad_cello-jpg

This is a Kolstein Busetto:

New Violinmaster Telecaster Relic Guitar From Fender’s Custom Shop-kolstein_busetto-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    I can't help but think what else you could get for that money from any of a dozen world class luthiers!
    Yes, and without the creepy culture vulture vibe this gives off. Some of us remember Tim Lerch’s archtop Tele, which might have sold for ~$3800. That was an elegant interpretation. One can get a Marchione, a Holst, a Forshage etc etc. for prices that respect the luthier’s standards, but don’t give off even the slightest whiff of snoot, like this thing.

Professional string players may be used to investing $20-250K in rebuilt 19th C instruments with wood that sings, and in a few more centuries more of our archtops and slab guitars will enter that $trato$phere, but what goes through my head looking at this opportunity is “It ain’t me babe, no no no!”

I know it’s unfair, but: My violist wife Linn and I just talked about potential marks for this limited edition, and settled on plastic surgeons and oral surgeons tired of those 8-9lb PRS wood-museum 10-tops.

User Info Menu

He didn't even get the 'f' holes in the right place - the notches in the 'f's are supposed to be even with the bridge.
    Hmmmm.... wonder who's been snooping in my shop? I guess I could add a tailpiece and another pickup. BTW, this one is completely hollow with only a small block under the bridge and, guess what? It sounds like a Tele.
    New Violinmaster Telecaster Relic Guitar From Fender’s Custom Shop-t2-jpgNew Violinmaster Telecaster Relic Guitar From Fender’s Custom Shop-tiger-eye-5-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    He didn't even get the 'f' holes in the right place - the notches in the 'f's are supposed to be even with the bridge.
    Hmmmm.... wonder who's been snooping in my shop? I guess I could add a tailpiece and another pickup. BTW, this one is completely hollow with only a small block under the bridge and, guess what? It sounds like a Tele.
    If that had 7 strings, I'd be first in line for it! My Tele 7 was designed by Chris Forshage and made in a CNC shop in China. It's in the same genre but far from the same league. That's one gorgeous guitar, Skip!

User Info Menu

I just have one thought--what the F-hole were they thinking??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

Reminds me of a certain top ex-government official who spray painted all his furniture with gold paint to "impress " visitors.
    Louis XIV you ain't, Buster!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

I could see if this was a fancy one off for NAMM.

User Info Menu

Everyone seems to realize this is a marketing thing for Fender. I don’t think anyone who is a serious player would ever go near this thing. But they sure got a lot of press and chatter for their efforts, even if it’s negative,LOL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I don’t think anyone who is a serious player would ever go near this thing.
    My gut says the same thing, especially at the price. But to be honest, I’ve eaten those words more than once. I even ended up buying one overpriced guitar (although nowhere near as overpriced as this one) that I made fun of on multiple occasions because it was so good when I finally played it.

When Fender brought out the relic series in ‘95 or so, I was brutal in my criticism of the guitars and the people who bought them. The manager of a well known local shop, who was a friend and a fabulous guitarist, called to let me know that they’d gotten their first relic strat and he thought I’d want to try it because it was such a great instrument. I don’t remember what it cost, but I could have bought a new strat, a bag of steel wool, and a bottle of oven cleaner for less than half and made my own relic.

Long story short, he held on to it until I could get there…….and it was one of the best guitars I’d ever played. It felt and sounded amazing, and I bought it on the spot. Even with my huge discount, it was one expensive strat back then. So while I also believe that no one in his right mind would pay 30 large for that Strad Tele, I can believe that it might be a wonderful guitar worth a stiff premium to someone with the desire, the appreciation, and the money. It ain’t me, babe - but it’s not out of the realm of possibility for somebody.

User Info Menu

So while Fender still makes a few nice Teles and Strats still.The majority of them are quite overpriced and or generic feeling guitars imo.
    Ive had way better luck putting Partscaster Teles and Strats over the years. You really are paying for a brand identity which isn’t even Fender, Gibson etc. any longer anyways,lol!

But if you have the $$$$$ and can swing it ,more power to you.
    All I know is a bar gig still only pays $100 if you’re really lucky!

User Info Menu

Thread needs a picture of the perp..

User Info Menu

My guitar too has a bearclaw spruce top from the Foresta dei violini where Stradivari got his wood from, top grade Bosnian mapple back and sides, ebony etc, violin-style binding and hand-applied varnish (without the pathetic relicing though). Yes, it has f-holes too. Talk about "Violin master". And it was carefully built by master luthier Nico Moffa.

Most expensive guitar I ever bought. About 1/4 what Fender want for that bolt-on, lol.

User Info Menu

And coz it’s a Custom Shop, you get to also pay for discreet relic touches. Looks like some gouges were created with antique dental picks. No auto-body sanders or drunk rasp files here, as with the CS relic Strats and Teles!

User Info Menu

Nope.

User Info Menu

I quite like this guitar. Not $30,000 like but if it was $3,000, I might consider it.

User Info Menu

Will there be Chinese knockoffs?

User Info Menu

Will there be Chinese knockoffs?
    Are you with me, Mr. Wu?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Are you with me, Mr. Wu?
    I think that every time I see his name mentioned here.

Are you crazy are you goofier
    Or just an ordinary luthier

Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 10-22-2021 at 11:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Interesting choice of pickups: TV Jones Thunderblades, which are bass pickups. Anyone ever tried them in a guitar?
    Thunder'''Blade Bass Pickups | TV Jones

User Info Menu

hmm

I watched the marketing video that Fender put out to accompany the guitars launch and was left feeling perplexed that Fender would compare themselves to the greatest, most prized instrument maker in history.

The indignation that should be rightfully felt towards Fender for this offensive narcissism, is a waste fo time.

It's a marketing exercise and a very good one at that. Take that Gibson, with your historic Archtops.

The link between Stradivarius and Fender has now been made.
    Last edited by Archie; 10-22-2021 at 02:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter
    Interesting choice of pickups: TV Jones Thunderblades, which are bass pickups. Anyone ever tried them in a guitar?
    Thunder'''Blade Bass Pickups | TV Jones
    I’ve put a few bass pickups in 7 string guitars because they’re about the same size as 7 humbuckers. But they were all active, largely because I never came across a good passive bass pup both big enough for a 7 and cheap enough for a tightwad.

When I first built my single pup 7 string FrankenPaul (neck only), I had an EMG bass pup that I’d picked up on “final clearance” just to play with it. It was surprisingly fine, with smooth mellow tone and fairly wide response to the tone pot. When an EMG 7 string popped up on sale (but, sadly, not clearance ) years later, I bought it and switched the two back and forth to compare them. Any difference was truly minimal.

User Info Menu

Weird flex, I guess. Might look nice next to those game of thrones fender

If you really wanted, you could ask hofner for a real archtop, made by people who actually know how to do that, and how to make violins and how to make guitars that look like violins and so on, for a fraction of the price.

Or if you were a clever sort, you'd walk past the fender custom shop and stop at the gretsch custom shop in the same building and have a real archtop made by a guy who not only knows who to do that, but who might be one of the few people extant with a building/training pedigree that you could even begin to compare to Stradivarius in Stephen Stern (who studied under d'aquisto and benedetto). Again, for less than a third of the price. Which isn't nothing, but come on.