The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 98

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gorgeous Eagle!

Speaking of which, there’s a fabulous buy on a Sunburst Eagle on Reverb. $3200

The Heritage Standard Eagle Classic Hollow Electric Guitar | Reverb

User Info Menu

That was fun! But based on their confusion about Heritage naming it “The Eagle”, I’m guessing they missed the whole 1776 thing. At least our side of it…. Heritage… Eagle… USA?
    To the pub!

User Info Menu

I've been going to Andertons since I was a child. I know the Lee the guy on the left. He took over the shop from his father.

I assume they're going to start stocking Heritage now? Otherwise not sure what the point of the video is.

User Info Menu

Every Anderton's video is a sales pitch! Highly entertaining mob.
    They happily acknowledged they know nothing much about Jazz.

We have but one place in Australia I know of and it stocks only 3 or so at a time. But in retrospect that is probably more Heritage Guitars per capita than most other countries get outside of the US...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EastwoodMike
    Every Anderton's video is a sales pitch! Highly entertaining mob.
    They happily acknowledged they know nothing much about Jazz.

We have but one place in Australia I know of and it stocks only 3 or so at a time. But in retrospect that is probably more Heritage Guitars per capita than most other countries get outside of the US...
    Without doubt Andertons will go with the same set-up as they don't have a 'jazz guitar dept'.
    The team up might not last too long. Andertons tend to like changing things up and over the years have dropped their jazz guitar offering to nearly zero.

I suspect when Gibson come back on line Andertons will move back, as they are an authorised Gibson distributer. I doubt Gibson will want to complete with Heritage for shelf space.

Heritage would be better suited to Guitar village, a much better guitar shop in the neighbouring town.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Without doubt Andertons will go with the same set-up as they don't have a 'jazz guitar dept'.
    The team up might not last too long. Andertons tend to like changing things up and over the years have dropped their jazz guitar offering to nearly zero.

I suspect when Gibson come back on line Andertons will move back, as they are an authorised Gibson distributer. I doubt Gibson will want to complete with Heritage for shelf space.

Heritage would be better suited to Guitar village, a much better guitar shop in the neighbouring town.
    OMG set ups of archtops at mainstream dealers are invariably execrable. Heavy gauge chromes with no attempt to adjust the action. No wonder they never sell any of the bastard things.

maybe I can snap up at a bargain. Wait six months and don’t pay the asking price is my advice.

At some point I will visit Guitar Village. Seems like a cool shop, no?

User Info Menu

He says the big Eagle is the same basic construction as the 575. Wrong.

User Info Menu

Sigh....
    Attached Images Attached Images Clever Review of Heritage Jazz Boxes-bruegel-blind-leading-blind_orig-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Sigh....
    Is there an English painter’s version of this parable? …the Brueghel might not hit the mark where American jazzboxes in an English shop are concerned.

Or maybe just cue up Never Mind the Bollocks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhl-ferndale
    …the Brueghel might not hit the mark...
    How so?

User Info Menu

As a Dutch treat to the English painter’s version not hitting the mark where American jazzboxes are concerned, the BLTB metaphor invariably conjures up what in German is a very funny joke, with the blind man addressing the lame man "How's it going?" and the lame man retorting "As you can see."

(Not sure if there is a particularly good English, or, er, American, version of this.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    How so?
    …Too Dutch/Flemish to serve as a warning to Anglo-Americans, already divided by a common language, concerning whose questionable advice to follow about US jazz guitars in an English rocker shop?

…something like that?

*I’d* like to see R. Crumb redoing Brueghel with the blind guys based on Spinal Tap hairdos and costumes, appropriately aged, and guitars in place of canes. The solid bodies go into the ditch first, the archtops last—but the headstocks on the Gibson derivatives explode as the last blind guys stumble.

———-
    As for me, I have a baseball cap that reads Unreliable Narrator to wear when I drive the Miata. No one should take me seriously. (But touché, Palindrome.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by palindrome
    As a Dutch treat to the English painter’s version not hitting the mark where American jazzboxes are concerned, the BLTB metaphor invariably conjures up what in German is a very funny joke, with the blind man addressing the lame man "How's it going?" and the lame man retorting "As you can see."

(Not sure if there is a particularly good English, or, er, American, version of this.)
    "Have you seen my dog" Said the blind man to the deaf man?

User Info Menu

Everyone loves Breughel.

User Info Menu

I always thought of the painting as a timelessly relevant commentary on ignorance.

Lee and Pete certainly do an excellent job of leading the way with their abject ignorance.
    Over 27,000 views since June/21.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    "Have you seen my dog" Said the blind man to the deaf man?
    Apologies in advance

User Info Menu

Gotta hand it to the Anderson’s guys though- the production value and their audience: younger audiences now know so much of what is available or exists because of them. I love their blind tests- debunked many myths.

User Info Menu

Interesting Heritage comments over at tgp. It’s not long, scroll to the last (largest) response.
    Thought it was some good insight, although I’m sure MartyG can verify.

Heritage Guitars | The Gear Page

User Info Menu

It's interesting that Anderton's have an undercurrent of "not knowing your instrument makes you a true guitarist" attitude. I was under the impression that most guitarists have moved on from that attitude a long time ago. Even the 20+ year pro Danish Pete seems to share that sentiment.

It sounds like practicing concepts to play over the changes in order to develop ears and fretboard skills is alien technology to them. They should invite Ariel Posen when they do "Jazzy" demos.

User Info Menu

The guitars are more consistent now. The company doesn't have the same interesting character dynamics.

I have copied the following from one of our forum member's post on the Heritage Owners Club website. It tells you a lot about how willing they were to build custom guitars. Carvin still does that.

The current Heritage Guitarsof Kalamazoo web site does not provide pricing for custom options orupgrades. Yes, it has a section for some of their Custom Shop guitars aswell as limited editions, and a few NAMM one-offs.
    However, some customers simplywish to add a few 'upgrades' or personal touches to an already existingmodel.
    The former owners provided abasic guide, and it really helped customers build their dream guitar. Customerswere directed to their dealer for specific prices, but at least they had anidea of what was possible. One example would be a current H-575hollow body jazz box. The come standard with an unbound neck, unboundheadstock, simple pearl dot inlays and unbound F-holes. Back in theday, adding those options would increase the cost of the guitar approximately$1,000 to $2,000.
    Why can't the current ownersgive us at least a general idea what custom upgrades are available andmaybe add cost?
    Here's an old (2007) priceguide from the archives...

Custom Options...

User Info Menu

Agree Tal175…. Like, hey dudes, about ten minutes on google and you would sounded soooo much more knowledge able.
    They do have google in the UK, yes?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    It's interesting that Anderton's have an undercurrent of "not knowing your instrument makes you a true guitarist" attitude. I was under the impression that most guitarists have moved on from that attitude a long time ago. Even the 20+ year pro Danish Pete seems to share that sentiment.

It sounds like practicing concepts to play over the changes in order to develop ears and fretboard skills is alien technology to them. They should invite Ariel Posen when they do "Jazzy" demos.
    Lee Anderton who runs the business took it over from his dad. I don't think Lee had much of an interest in music or playing in the early years. I could be wrong as I don't know him as a family member or long term friend but I think if he hadn't of got involved in his dads business, he would have never picked up a guitar in the first place.

Recently though, and I say over the last 10 years he has made an effort to learn the guitar and (damn my fav Bill Frisell song just came on whilst wiring this message and it's the most haunting piece he's composed to date. Should have been the theme tune to Twin Peaks), where was I? Oh yes, so I give him credit for taking on the challenge of learning and coming on as well as he has.
    He plays more now than I do and am younger than he is.
    So with this in mind, I give Lee credit. The prat (I say in jest) he hangs around with 'Chappers' has probably rotted his mind out with rock and metal and solid body guitars, which is the world most of these people live in. They gush over Les Pauls and the latest finish on a Fender.
    They look at us as the weirdos for liking jazz guitars but we already know this.

I was speaking to a salesman in Andertons this week and he was incredibly knowledgable. He asked me what guitars I liked and I said "jazz guitars" to which he grabbed a Gretsch.

It's all a good laugh in the end.

Now back to my song.

Skip To 27:30

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    So Pete career? ... Shitty? ... Not really worth mentioning? .. Dude can't play?
    Are you just making up stuff I didn't say? He says he doesn't know what he is playing (in terms of what he is playing over the changes) but that doesn't mean he can't play well. I wasn't in anyway implying that he is a shitty player.

User Info Menu

Jazz is not their wheelhouse. We would all know that- the talent pool of their friends is huge but in different genres.
    But I for one appreciate their effort to try- what other vendors with such reach do?
    I’ve seen earlier vids of theirs with DvMark little jazz, and Ibanez artstar and yes- sales spiels but better than nothing.
    jazz specific hardware is probably <5% of their sales? If it was that high, then perhaps 1 in 20 of their team would have a focal interest in playing these instruments proficiently?

keep in mind Covid is stopping a lot of travel still and for those lucky to perform again they are probably filling their calendars as hard as they can.

Lee has come an extraordinary way in his own guitar skills over the last 5 odd years. I wish I could claim to say the same. Good on you Captain! Now go dig up Simon Jarrett next time he is in the UK or Robben Ford if he is about. Surely the UK has some filthy good guys with Jazz Chops to do those guitars justice.
    m