Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 102 of 102

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    I'm enjoying this discussion so to continue I will know posit that what seems to make something 'jazz' in your book, is the ability to "swing"?

I think you're being pretty generous with Scofield but I'm not against your point.
    Allow me a moment to kibbitz: in my book, Swing may be neither necessary nor sufficient, but it sure does help!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    I'm enjoying this discussion so to continue I will know posit that what seems to make something 'jazz' in your book, is the ability to "swing"?
    Not only. The social aspect of jazz is incredibly important, for instance. The idiom, the way the language gets transformed, the lineages, all that stuff. It's not a set of systems, it's a cultural practice. That's perhaps why people who aren't in that cultural practice think it's a theoretical thing (as I did). But it really depends where you are, that side of it is quite weak in the UK, it's all a bit technical and unmoored from that sort of stuff. I was chatting to a friend who's in NYC the other day. Different world.

Swing is certainly a defining feature. It's not a technical thing like the inequality of eighth notes, it's partly the interaction between Western meter and African diaspora concepts of rhythm, you get different flavours of that all over the Americas of course. People think it's notes, but it's rhythms. (I was lucky Phil Robson told me that like day 1; wish I'd listened to him lol.)

But as you say, it's those outside the bubble who probably get the final word on this. 'Urgghhhh it's jazz, turn it off!'

I think you're being pretty generous with Scofield but I'm not against your point.
    Nope.

It's more likely I'm being too generous to Kenny from that perspective, he wasn't really that sort of thing to my ears. But I like his tunes, and he had a beautiful sound.

I'm not interested in gatekeeping jazz anyway, miserable thing to do, and a total waste of time. But I am interested in relating some of the thing I hear and enjoy in the music, and have learned about from the great musicians I've been lucky to be in contact with over the years.
    Last edited by Christian Miller; 11-01-2021 at 07:30 PM.