The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 104

User Info Menu

So you have seen a lot off gear..

My monarch unpluged is very tight, and focused..Its for feedback control or just have a bad one?

As i compare this to other korean guitars, joe pass, regent, broadway.( not fair to compare with the japan-usa),i find their tone more open , but they are feedback monsters

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Peerless should go with Richlite, it's an excellent fingerboard material.

User Info Menu

Most ebony these days is stained. It's very difficult to get black ebony, which has always been a small percentage of the tree, with the lighter colored wood just thrown away. Now the lighter wood is used, but most often stained with a black stain, which will come off on rags, depending a lot on the solvent used. Alcohol will usually remove most of the stain. It doesn't mean the wood is bad, it's just not black enough for looks. Some builders accept the lighter colors, but factories tend to make everything the same color, for repeatability.

User Info Menu

I’ve encountered buffing compound on finger boards. To polish frets, some shops go to town on them with a big buffing wheel. The compound gets embedded in the grain of the fingerboard. And your fingertips will turn black when playing. The remedy is to rub it out. It will take elbow grease and maybe 2 cloths. When the cloth stops getting darkened, you’ve gotten it all.

My last two Epi’s both had lots of dark buffing compound on their fingerboards. I returned the first one not knowing what it was or what to do. When the second one arrived with the same issue, I rubbed it off with cloth. Been flawless since.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Most ebony these days is stained. It's very difficult to get black ebony, which has always been a small percentage of the tree, with the lighter colored wood just thrown away. Now the lighter wood is used, but most often stained with a black stain, which will come off on rags, depending a lot on the solvent used. Alcohol will usually remove most of the stain. It doesn't mean the wood is bad, it's just not black enough for looks. Some builders accept the lighter colors, but factories tend to make everything the same color, for repeatability.
    Very true (although in this case it's rosewood not ebony)
    It's heartbreaking to think that because most people think and expect ebony to be black, that so many beautiful trees are not used. Personally the brown/white streaks in ebony are the best bits and give any piece of furniture or guitar a unique individual look.

User Info Menu

i bought this guitar used, so i dont know how previous owner treated the board.
    My problem is after 15 minutes playing, i started choke on the fingerboard.I keep strings clean, but it wasnt enough.
    I dont have this issue with my others guitars.
    So i used alcool and cotton to clean fretboard and now has much better playability.

However cotton continues to goes brown..i will repeat that soon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzVocab
    Very true (although in this case it's rosewood not ebony)
    It's heartbreaking to think that because most people think and expect ebony to be black, that so many beautiful trees are not used. Personally the brown/white streaks in ebony are the best bits and give any piece of furniture or guitar a unique individual look.
    A scandal as you say, Dan. Paul Reed Smith has campaigned extensively on this specific subject I think.
    In the matter of Peerless, I did distribute more than a few in the days before Foulds began to handle them and certainly the Monarch and Renaissance had rosewood boards. They did, however, have a very fine/thin lacquer applied over the top which was not over attractive after extensive playing. I believe this stopped latterly, probably for cost reasons like some other aspects. The company is headed up by..............an accountant!

User Info Menu

I came here to say exactly this
    Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I recently was exploring buying an archtop. I orginally had my heart set on a floating pick-up and solid carved top. It just made good sense to me to let that solid top vibrate unhindered.

But...

I tested a bunch of archtops side by side thru the same amp and it turned out I didn't like the way the ones with floating pickups sounded when they were amplified. Too bright, too brittle for me. yomv

So my advice is to make sure you play a bunch of guitars side by side. Until you do that you really don't know what you'll prefer.

After a roller coaster of near misses, almost haves, high hopes, and broken hearts, I picked up a used Peerless Monarch that I found locally.

I'll rewind a little bit...

I've been wanting to get into archtops for a while now. My background is in very amateur classical guitar playing followed by a long history of Django Reinhardt's music, mostly as a rhythm guitarist. I went to a couple of guitar stores and tried all the archtops I could - consisting almost entirely of Ibanez art core models. There were a couple of nice ones, but the prices seemed pretty steep for what they were. The used archtop market in Sweden is fairly non-existent. My options are to buy something and have it shipped, or settle for something that comes with a high premium.

A good friend and bandleader plays on a wonderful Heritage Eagle Classic which I have tried on many occasions and found to be quite a lovely instrument. So when a used Heritage Eagle popped up in the local classifieds, I took it as an omen and charged ahead. The price was good but it had a headstock crack - the "Gibson smile" I learned for this forum. After a lot of excellent feedback from this site, I decided to go ahead with the purchase and planned on getting the guitar repaired. The seller instead decided to go ahead with someone else. Oh well, win some, lose some - strike one.

A couple of local players I know are really into the MIJ L5 copies - Epiphone Emperors, Aria pro ii PE-180, Grecos, and Ibanez's. I'm no expert, but I liked the ones that I tried, and compared to the Art cores I've been testing, they were all far superior instruments. I found a shop in Sweden that was selling a used PE-180 for a decent price and called them up to inquire. I was told all amazing things on the phone. Well, let's just say that the shop promised more than it should have. The guitar arrived with undisclosed fretboard pitting and truss rod problems ( also in filthy condition with old rusty strings) - issues which were specifically asked about. Again, I received some excellent advice here on the forum and after having a guitar shop examine the guitar, I decided to send it back. I would have paid less for the guitar if I knew it needed repairs. Win some, lose some - Strike two.

Recently I inquired about a beautiful Heritage Super Eagle from a fellow forum member and after some discussion and very helpful advice - I decided to pull the trigger. There was a significant hurdle in the way - I'm currently in Europe and the guitar is in the States. Well, let's just say that there are some super individuals on this forum and I'm lucky to know a few. With some help, it was arranged to have the guitar shipped to another fellow forum member where I could then pick it up the next time I am state-side. After a long week following Fedex updates and delayed delivery, the guitar arrived but was damaged in shipping. It was decided to ship the guitar back to make the shipping claim easier. Must say I was a little heartbroken on this one - not sure when another one of these will cross my path. I will say that I am thankful and grateful for the members in the transaction. It is scary to conduct business over a virtual handshake and hope for the best. Sometimes things just don't work out, and in this case, everything was resolved with class and in a swift manner. - Strike three. Win some, lose some ( I keep telling myself this).

Reading through old threads, the Peerless guitars all came highly recommended, which was a little frustrating considering that guitars seem to have become quite scarce in Europe. So when one just popped up locally - recall that the used market here is an archtop desert - I almost ran out the door to pick it up. It's a nice guitar. I don't have much to compare it to; I like it better than all the Art cores I tried, but not as much as the MIJ L5 copies, and sure as hell not as much as the Heritages. It seems to be set up fairly well with action at 2.1mm on the low E string. No buzzes unless I really dig in - I'm fairly heavy-handed. Strung up with TI 13 flatwounds.

Hopefully, it will tide me over until something nicer comes along. But man, it's not a good idea to try the nice guitars first. I'm happy to have found something but it definitely feels like settling for less after these guitars have fallen through the fingers.

Here's a couple of pics and videos to add to the archive. The recordings were made with a cell phone and a Rode videomicro mic. I upped the gain a little on the acoustic recording. For the plugged-in recording, I aimed the mic at my AER alpha, which has about a quarter turn on the "effects" dial. Nothing else but a hungry cat meow, so the sound is not as polished as with some fancier equipment. The playing could also be polished - but it's an honest sound, which is what a potential buyer would be interested in.

Peerless Monarch-20210929_121407-jpgPeerless Monarch-20210929_121634-jpgPeerless Monarch-20210929_121647-jpgPeerless Monarch-20210929_122138-jpgPeerless Monarch-20210929_122243-jpg

User Info Menu

I’ve owned every guitar on your attempt to purchase list, including the Monarch. It was a real shame that the SE was damaged. Those guitars check all of the boxes. Enjoy your time with the Monarch, as those guitars are pretty good. I preferred it to a PE180.

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar!

I have a Peerless Sunset, which I've been thinking about selling since I got some other guitars (Gibson 135 and 175), but it's a very well-made guitar and fits in well with the music I play.

I see that yours has the same interesting feature as mine on the headstock: "Since. 1970". Weird, but no biggie.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Congrats Nick. Sorry that the Heritage did not work out. The Peerless will hold you over just fine till the right ES-175 shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I’ve owned every guitar on your attempt to purchase list, including the Monarch. It was a real shame that the SE was damaged. Those guitars check all of the boxes. Enjoy your time with the Monarch, as those guitars are pretty good. I preferred it to a PE180.
    Yes, I believe the Super Eagle would have been a great fit. Looks like I'll have to be patient for a bit longer. I like the Monarch so far but feel the acoustic sound to be a little lacking.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Congrats Nick. Sorry that the Heritage did not work out. The Peerless will hold you over just fine till the right ES-175 shows up.
    I do believe I need to try out some more of them! Perhaps in the near future

Thanks again good sir!

User Info Menu

Nice looking Monarch.

What is the neck like? I have a chance to buy one, but I'm worried about ending up with a thin necked guitar (I don't like thin necks - I find them uncomfortable to play on). Is like the neck on an Eastman, or at least a Medium C (neck thickness of 22mm or more at the 1st fret)?

Ellen

Quote Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl
    Nice looking Monarch.

What is the neck like? I have a chance to buy one, but I'm worried about ending up with a thin necked guitar (I don't like thin necks - I find them uncomfortable to play on). Is like the neck on an Eastman, or at least a Medium C (neck thickness of 22mm or more at the 1st fret)?

Ellen

It looks like it might borderline too thin for you. Measuring 20mm at the first fret.

That being said, I find it pretty comfortable to play and it doesn't feel amazingly skinny - I didn't even think about it until you asked. I've owned some guitars with serious baseball bat necks and every time I pick up a solid body electric (I've never owned one) they feel ridiculously thin. But I also can usually get used to anything after an adjustment period.

Can't compare it to the Eastmans as I don't really remember what they felt like. It seems to be a pretty popular guitar, so I'm sure someone else has more experience. Perhaps a picture is more helpful.Peerless Monarch-20211015_213007-jpg

User Info Menu

Good score - "All things come to those who wait...." Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by littleknicky
    It looks like it might borderline too thin for you. Measuring 20mm at the first fret.

That being said, I find it pretty comfortable to play and it doesn't feel amazingly skinny - I didn't even think about it until you asked. I've owned some guitars with serious baseball bat necks and every time I pick up a solid body electric (I've never owned one) they feel ridiculously thin. But I also can usually get used to anything after an adjustment period.

Can't compare it to the Eastmans as I don't really remember what they felt like. It seems to be a pretty popular guitar, so I'm sure someone else has more experience. Perhaps a picture is more helpful.Peerless Monarch-20211015_213007-jpg
    Thanks for measuring the neck thickness for me. You're right, 20mm is too thin for me for playing comfort. I think I will consider saving my money, and get an Eastman.

Hello from Sweden. I'm about to purchase a Peerless Monarch but the previous owner, for his own esthetical and mysterious reasons decided to remove the trussrod-cover that he's lost....I've been looking for that cover, even wrote to the Peerless factory, without getting any answer.

I 'm looking on forums for someone who could scan (a flatbed scanner should work) the shape and holes of that cover.. of course I'd pay to get it if necessary...it would be nice as well to get a pic of the cover (as the 2 screws seem to be on the higher bout of it I don't really understand how the lower part of the cover is hold on the headstock. That scan would allow me to do myself an own cover (I worked as a guitar maker years ago, before becoming watchmaker, now retired).

Anyway I sure would appreciate any help a lot, as this seems to be impossible until I find soneone willing to help with a scan of the cover or to myself loan another Monarch to make a copy of that cover (which is pretty impossible to find over here).
    Please if you can't help me

I sure would appreciate if you have any contact that might be able to help.

I wish you a great weekend.

Michel in Sweden (You can answer in english, in french, in italien ...well in swedish too but that... )

Anyway, hope to hear from you!

Best regards, Michel.

User Info Menu

Hello, Michel. I cannot help with the Peerless cover, but I can tell you that on many guitars the trussrod cover is held by only one screw at the top, and the end against the nut is not fastened at all. One is sufficient, if the cover is properly fitted against the back of the nut. At least one manufacturer uses magnets, but that seems gross overkill to me. Players who like the lowest possible action often leave the cover off after adjustment, because they make frequent adjustments as the temperature and humidity change, and different strings are installed. I can understand losing one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michelguitar
    Hello from Sweden. I'm about to purchase a Peerless Monarch but the previous owner, for his own esthetical and mysterious reasons decided to remove the trussrod-cover that he's lost....I've been looking for that cover, even wrote to the Peerless factory, without getting any answer.

I 'm looking on forums for someone who could scan (a flatbed scanner should work) the shape and holes of that cover.. of course I'd pay to get it if necessary...it would be nice as well to get a pic of the cover (as the 2 screws seem to be on the higher bout of it I don't really understand how the lower part of the cover is hold on the headstock. That scan would allow me to do myself an own cover (I worked as a guitar maker years ago, before becoming watchmaker, now retired).

Anyway I sure would appreciate any help a lot, as this seems to be impossible until I find soneone willing to help with a scan of the cover or to myself loan another Monarch to make a copy of that cover (which is pretty impossible to find over here).
    Please if you can't help me

I sure would appreciate if you have any contact that might be able to help.

I wish you a great weekend.

Michel in Sweden (You can answer in english, in french, in italien ...well in swedish too but that... )

Anyway, hope to hear from you!

Best regards, Michel.
    Tjena,

Sorry, cant help, but I found a good picture at least:

The headstock of a Peerles Monarch KA jazz-style archtop electric... Nyhetsfoto - Getty Images

I think you can do it freehand, but watchmakers are perfectionists so

User Info Menu

It shouldn't be too difficult to just find a local builder (or anyone working with wood) and have them make a cover for you. I would just use anything and make two screw holes myself if needed.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Aladin111
    Peerless produce fine guitars - last year i bought a Renaissence and a Jazz City. Decent quality.
    Distribution nevertheless is very poor. Since a couple of months there's a new uk distributor ( Euromusic ) - but strange : almost no Peerless guitars in stock. ( some shops in the Uk even banned them )
    Service is also very dramatic.( one guy asked for a replacement : his guitar
    is still on the way, after TEN months )
    What started as a fairytale ( good sales ) is beginning to look like a nightmare.
    Peerless Korea ? ? ? ? : are they aware of the problems? ?
    Doc Dosco knows the full story, but the Lee family ( Mr Lee was the company accountant who bought out the original owners and invested heavily, closing one plant/site in the process and focussing entirely on own brand models after some years making for various well known brands including Epiphone and Gretsch ) owned the entire outfit. Quality control was good some ten or twelve years ago and during the time when Graham Esson ( since having founded Fibonacci Guitars ) held the distribution rights for 27 EU countries. Over time however, things slipped and the above story ( replacement issues ) rings a bell here and in time, Graham found the whole thing non-viable. Shame, as he introduced some excellent innovations and models notably the two Martin Taylor models. Not sure who stocks them now.

User Info Menu

We gave two models to Matt initially, a Monarch and a Renaissance Deluxe ( all solid - not sure if they make that exact model anymore ) and he was delighted with them. He particularly enthused about the neck on the latter model and would entirely agree, that being the one guitar in recent times I should not have sold. We later organized a Cremona for Matt and he plays this in more recent clips. He also made a CD: 'Matt Otten Plays Peerless Guitars' as a 'thank you' to the team - still avilable it would seem direct from Matt's site: Matt Otten - Jazz Guitar - Matt Otten plays Peerless Guitars My own view is that Eastman took over the space previously occupied by Peerless with models like the AR371/2CE but then who knows...................

In the matter of pickups, there is no doubt that the OEM Korean made pickups were not the strongest point of the guitars. Referred to in the catalogue as 'Epiphone style humbuckers' or similar. This led many to believe that they were somehow madeby Epiphone - they were not.