The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I'm looking to buy one of these that has a backrest, and doesn't force me to put my feet on a bar (in other words, I can put them on the floor ).

So far I've found this Gator model, which seems to fit the bill, but I have no idea if it's any good. I'd appreciate any comments on it, or suggestions for others.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Unless you really expect to lean back I would recommend getting a quality piano bench.

User Info Menu

You don’t say if you want it for gigs or just home use. This Rockville is a great choice if you need it for gigs or portability. It’s only $60 and it’s comfortable for home use as long as your beam isn’t too broad.

Rockville RDS40

Also consider drum thrones. The good ones are solid, durable, and comfortable. Gibraltar makes a nice one with backrest.

On stage where I play twice a week, I have a commercial version of the Fender style bar stool but stronger and higher, with two circumferential rungs (higher for foot rest and lower for strength), and a thick padded seat. You might like the 24” single rung version sold by Fender, Taylor and others - but the ones sold by the guitar makers are generally flimsier and more expensive that the same stools sold by houseware vendors.

It's for home use, so it doesn't have to be ultra-portable. The Rockville looks pretty good, and I'm renowned both for my legato technique and my narrow beam. So I may give it a try.

User Info Menu

I use an Ikea desk chair with the right arm rest mounted upside down

It’s so comfortable, I sometimes fall asleep in it…. Especially when playing lullabies for my little one (when she was still small….;-) )

User Info Menu

I use an Ikea straight wooden chair from Good Will. Works fine for me. I sometimes use the desk chair with fold-back arms.

User Info Menu

And i use a plain folding wooden chair from Ikea. Put a gel cushion on it and all set well under $50. Classical sit forward, relax back for jazz. Does creak a bit)
    jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Does creak a bit
    Are you sure it’s the chair that’s creaking?

User Info Menu

This topic comes up every now and then; try here and here, and even here. Always great ideas/options that people are using!

User Info Menu

Someone on the Acoustic Guitar Forum recommended a folding chair called the Flex 1. It's not cheap, and you have to buy lots of 4. It's not attractive either, lol. But I am always looking for a COMFY (on the bottom) seat, with back support (I have been using a keyboard seat for awhile, it's comfy but no back support. And the vinyl makes me sweat).

Anyway, the same guy who owns the Flex 1 also said Home Depot makes a cheap knock-off that is almost as good. It looks just like the Flex 1, is very comfy, and it only $25. I only got mine a week ago, so I can't give a long-term review...

sorry, I can't seem to get a picture of it to post here... browser won't let me "save as" or even "open in new window" so I can embed the jpg address...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-Blac...010P/204269967

User Info Menu

I use a roc-n-soc with a back rest. Have had it for years. Comfortable and portable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Unless you really expect to lean back I would recommend getting a quality piano bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlyacht
    It's for home use, so it doesn't have to be ultra-portable. The Rockville looks pretty good, and I'm renowned both for my legato technique and my narrow beam. So I may give it a try.
    I love vintage furniture too, so I have a beautiful vintage piano stool. Not the one in this photo, but one a lot like it. Swivel is a plus. Relatively easy to find and not too expensive if you hunt for one.

Guitar seat/stool recommendations-s-l1600-1-jpg

User Info Menu

I like the Plck’n’Glide. A.K.A. A maternity chair with the arms removed
    Attached Images Attached Images Guitar seat/stool recommendations-bde8a87a-4f3f-45d9-abbb-52a7166dd8d7-jpg 

User Info Menu

I use a metal folding chair. It is inexpensive, easy to transport and provides good back support.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I use an Ikea desk chair with the right arm rest mounted upside down

It’s so comfortable, I sometimes fall asleep in it…. Especially when playing lullabies for my little one (when she was still small….;-) )

Sweet pic L J

User Info Menu

A drum throne (seat) is very nice. They have a wide variety of padding, cost, stability and weight. I had a seat with back rest but found that I really did not need it, unless you have back issues.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NEWCITY
    A drum throne (seat) is very nice. They have a wide variety of padding, cost, stability and weight. I had a seat with back rest but found that I really did not need it, unless you have back issues.

User Info Menu

I just wanted to add.... for those that may have neck/shoulder issues (back issues have already been addressed)...

When I use a stool or throne (I had been using a keyboard seat), I tend to not sit up straight, I hunch over the guitar. But whenever I have a chair with a back (even a simple folding chair; it doesn't have to be a fancy office chair with lumbar support or anything), I lean back, and sit up straight. StraightER, anyway. It really helps with my chronic low back, NECK, and SHOULDER issues... which are also linked to my chronic TENSION HEADACHES. I really noticed the difference recently when I bought the Flex chair (in my post above), and immediately realized what I had been doing (without even knowing it, really). It's amazing how much difference a chair can make. Whether it's a armless dining chair or a folding chair, if it's got a back, for me it seems to make quite a difference in how I sit.

Sure, I could "try to make myself" sit up straight on a stool, but why? I'm trying to pay attention to playing, and if a backed chair helps correct my posture, all the better.

Just some more food for thought...