Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 119

User Info Menu

I loved that, DB!

Thanks for posting.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by telephone
    Dig it! What are you using for backing tracks? I’m on the hunt.
    I created this myself. I found a bass only vid that I had to edit because the bass player in question played the a section 3 times in every chorus, which is wrong. I added a rhythm guitar after that and voila.

These days I find my backings on Youtube mostly. I speed them up and slow them down (the tracks, not my playing haha). I shorten them and I even transpose them to a key that I favor. Or I add a rhythm guitar. Sometimes I use the good old Aebersold or a Hal leonard. Or half of them (without the piano). I got quite good at tweaking them.

DB

User Info Menu

You play so effortlessly, DB. Always impressive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    I created this myself. I found a bass only vid that I had to edit because the bass player in question played the a section 3 times in every chorus, which is wrong. I added a rhythm guitar after that and voila.

These days I find my backings on Youtube mostly. I speed them up and slow them down (the tracks, not my playing haha). I shorten them and I even transpose them to a key that I favor. Or I add a rhythm guitar. Sometimes I use the good old Aebersold or a Hal leonard. Or half of them (without the piano). I got quite good at tweaking them.

DB
    Thanks. It never really occurred to me to look for em on YouTube. Gonna get busy now…

User Info Menu

Sounds fabulous as always. Especially your playing!

User Info Menu

What software do you use to do the editing and speed adjustments for the background tracks?

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    What software do you use to do the editing and speed adjustments for the background tracks?
    I use Cakewalk Sonar X3 producer. It's actually available for free these days in some kind of online version. I have the older stand alone version.

DB

User Info Menu

I agree with Lawson...wonderful guitar.

And, wintermoon is right, the TKL 17" will work.

User Info Menu

Luscious tone, swinging playing - just so nice!

User Info Menu

What ever you do don’t get a Cedar Creek case. They color bleed.
    Another option is to order a factory Gibson L5 case. I have bought 2 and they were only $200 US dollars brand new. They also are made by the TKL case co.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I just want to dive face-first into that tone. It's velvet. You really have hit on the perfect guitar for your own style and technique, delivering absolutely perfect tone.
    Velvet is a good word too Lawson. Thanks. Anyway, this is the sound I always hear in my head for myself. The ES 350 is a fantastic vintage guitar.

DB

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Velvet is a good word too Lawson. Thanks. Anyway, this is the sound I always hear in my head for myself. The ES 350 is a fantastic vintage guitar.

DB

You definitely scored a home run on that one. I remember when you were talking about getting it. Good choice!

User Info Menu

Great playing as always DB!

There are Guild and Epiphone 17 inch cases out there that will fit that guitar and will cost less than one which says Gibson on it.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Through my Mambo amp .... My first post with proper avatar and signature ...

Last edited by Dutchbopper; 10-12-2021 at 12:35 PM.

User Info Menu

Through my Mambo amp .... My first post with proper avatar and signature ...

Lovely! At these easier tempos, the melodicism of bebop is so evident. It isn't just 8th note licks at 250 bpm. Bebop was and is a very melodic form when played correctly.... which you do!

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Lovely! At these easier tempos, the melodicism of bebop is so evident. It isn't just 8th note licks at 250 bpm. Bebop was and is a very melodic form when played correctly.... which you do!
    Thanks Lawson. This tune features a wonderful melody indeed. Just playing the head is a joy in itself.

DB

User Info Menu

Nice take and a great tune.

Fun fact: the composer of Boplicity is listed as Cleo Henry, who was Miles Davis’ mum!

Don’t know why Miles and Gil Evans did that.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambop

Fun fact: the composer of Boplicity is listed as Cleo Henry, who was Miles Davis’ mum!

I did not know that. Thanks. I noticed that the changes for this tune seem to vary a bit ...

DB

Dutchbopper Guest

By the way, the tune seems to be called "bebop lives"too! Any info on that?

DB

User Info Menu

Always enjoyable. Great avatar too!

User Info Menu

Still boppin’, after all these years!

User Info Menu

By the way, the tune seems to be called "bebop lives"too! Any info on that?

DB
    No I haven’t come across that. But I just googled it, and it looks as if that was the title used for a version with lyrics that Mark Murphy sang (he starts off wordless, then the lyrics come in eventually):

User Info Menu

I think there is sometimes a legal thing where if you write lyrics to an instrumental tune by someone else, you have to record/perform it with a different title.

I have a CD by Carmen McRae where she sings a load of Monk tunes, but most of the titles have been changed at the insistence of the publisher (according to the CD booklet). So ‘Straight No Chaser’ is renamed as ‘Get It Straight’, for example.

User Info Menu

I think there is sometimes a legal thing where if you write lyrics to an instrumental tune by someone else, you have to record/perform it with a different title.

I have a CD by Carmen McRae where she sings a load of Monk tunes, but most of the titles have been changed at the insistence of the publisher (according to the CD booklet). So ‘Straight No Chaser’ is renamed as ‘Get It Straight’, for example.
    Great record btw, just listening last week

User Info Menu

Gerry Mulligan did a nice re-make of the Birth of the Cool tunes, with Wallace Roney and Phil Woods taking the place of Miles and Lee Konitz. I think someone had to transcribe all the arrangements from the original records, as most of the charts had been lost over the years.