The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

I have time to waste this morning (it is 5:30 am) before I leave for work. As you know, I am on a quest once again, for an archtop. Soooo, I took a look online at what some local and semi-local guitar shops have to offer. Nothing at Cream City Music (only 5 miles from where I live - the place can be toxic to my finances), ditto for Dave's Guitar Shop (Dave's is a bit of a haul to the main store [it's on the other side of the state, and is where I bought the Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion in 1993, that was my main gigging guitar in the 90s], but the satellite stores in Milwaukee and Madison are decently close). Chicago Music Exchange is about 90 miles (145 km) from me, which isn't the worst. I visited the place once in 2007, when I decided to drive from work in the Racine, WI area (about 25 miles [40 km] closer to Chicago), in order to avoid shipping delays, in receiving an Eastwood baritone guitar, I'd ordered from Chicago Music Exchange. Big Mistake! Chicago Music Exchange is located on the north side of the downtown of Chicago, which makes it a bit of a pain to get to (there is no quick access from the freeway - you have to drive through several miles of city streets to get there), throw in the fact that the place closed at 7 pm, and I GOT STUCK IN RUSH HOUR (it took me an hour to drive 10 miles [16 km] on Interstate 94), and barely made it to the place before they closed for the day. So, visiting CME on a Satuerday is recommended. Oh, while this may not be a big deal to the European forum members, it may be for the U.S. members - sales tax (if you buy on-site at the store) is 10% (5% state of Illinois sales tax + 5% city of Chicago sales tax).

Well, enough of that. I found a couple of guitars that are intriguing/interesting to me:

1. Eastman T49D - Eastman T49D/v Archtop Antique Classic w/Seymour Duncan Antiquity Humb – Chicago Music Exchange

As you know, I like Eastman guitars (great necks, and I've been impressed with the Eastman acoustic guitars I have had). The only downside - it has a 16" body (I've always preferred 17" body archtops), though that is not a deal breaker.

2. 2017 Prototype Reissue of a Supro Sierra- Supro Sierra Reissue Prototype White 2017 – Chicago Music Exchange

This is intriguing in an offbeat way (and I will admit that I do like guitars that are not run-of-the-mill. It's neck specs (which CME lists) put my fretting hand in a happy place (as I've mentioned, baseball bat necks are nice, but a Medium C that is slightly on the chunky side is fine by me too). It also looks kind of cool in an art deco way. My only concern - the top is mahogany (though considering that it is a laminate body guitar like an ES-175, that may not be that big of a deal). Oh yes, the price is several hundred dollars less than the Eastman.

So, what are your thoughts on these two guitars?

P.S. - I didn't include photos in this post, because they came out VERY big.

Ellen
    Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 10-12-2021 at 01:21 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you do manage a trip to CME in person do venture across the street snd north s few doors up to Dinkels Bakery

BigMike

User Info Menu

Go here for lunch and order the tacos carnitas.

Cafe El Tapatio
    (773) 327-5475
    Google Maps

In regards to CME, call ahead because they have a warehouse that's not on site, if you want to try those guitars let them know you're coming and you'll want to try them. There is a chance that the guitar won't be on the floor

User Info Menu

You can easily get a 17 inch Eastman and really that is what I would consider. Possible an 810 with built in pickups or floaters. Not sure how important that is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    You can easily get a 17 inch Eastman and really that is what I would consider. Possible an 810 with built in pickups or floaters. Not sure how important that is.
    I'd like to get an 810, but they typically cost a bit more than $2500. Still, I could do it if I spend a bit more time saving. I might be worth it.

User Info Menu

810s are really nice
    I have one of the first five Eastmans ever made, an 810, You look around on Reverb and eBay you might find a used one had a really good price

And if you do go to CME make sure you go to Dinkels and get yourself a box of their assorted butter cookies great way to keep you company on the drive back home

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I'd never heard of the Supro Sierra, but I googled it and it looks great.

The tuning machines look like the Klusons, I believe, that my 1964 L50 has. Not a sealed unit, but they work. I think the opening can attract dirt and I recall watching a video about how to take them apart and clean them. Anyway, might be worth making sure they work smoothly, or you're looking at a repair bill.

Apparently it was the top of the line Valco Supro for the year or two it was made.

I've never played one, or an Eastman, so I have no comment about them otherwise.

It can be hard to make a decision when all the choices are good.

User Info Menu

The Eastman is a sure bet - but man, that Supro looks sexy, with that headstock & pickguard, love it! But: While the neck seemms to be reasonably chunky (0.88-0.97" - not a baseball bat, but not a toothpick, either), it seems to be very narrow: 1-19/32" - that's in Rickenbacker territory, that would be a dealbreaker for me, if it isn't a typo...

User Info Menu

EllenGtrGrl,
    You might want to check out this video that Rich Severson just posted today that demos an Eastman AR605ce that he's selling. I've previously bought a couple of guitars from Rich, including an Eastman T49/v and a Heritage 575.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RomanS
    The Eastman is a sure bet - but man, that Supro looks sexy, with that headstock & pickguard, love it! But: While the neck seemms to be reasonably chunky (0.88-0.97" - not a baseball bat, but not a toothpick, either), it seems to be very narrow: 1-19/32" - that's in Rickenbacker territory, that would be a dealbreaker for me, if it isn't a typo...
    I never heard of Supro-branded guitars. On that page I followed a link to another model, the Ranchero, with a 1 11/16" nut and a big-as-Texas pick guard.

User Info Menu

That Supro looks like a lot of fun to me. Off the beaten path, to be sure. I would dig it.

User Info Menu

It's hard to beat an Eastman, if one suits your style save the buckazoids it's worth the wait.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RomanS
    Quote Originally Posted by ARGewirtz
    EllenGtrGrl,
    You might want to check out this video that Rich Severson just posted today that demos an Eastman AR605ce that he's selling. I've previously bought a couple of guitars from Rich, including an Eastman T49/v and a Heritage 575.

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    It's hard to beat an Eastman, if one suits your style save the buckazoids it's worth the wait.
    With regards to the Supro - nah, I think I'll pass. I converted the nut width to decimal, and realized that it's about as narrow as the infamous "Speed Neck" that Gibson put on their hollow and semi-hollow guitars from the mid 60s till the late 70s. No thanks in the 80s, when I was a university student, I had a Gibson Les Paul Signature that had one of those necks - it was definitely not my cup of tea!

I think I'm just going to bide my time, and save my pennies for an Eastman. My only concern about them though is what I read in this thread comparing Eastman to Peerless, that was posted here 4 years ago:

Honest assessment of Peerless and Eastman archtops

It gives me concern about the durability of the finish on Eastman's archtops.

I'd also consider a Peerless Monarch (I have a line on one going for $800), but from what little info I can find about the neck profiles that Peerless archtops have, it seems that their necks on the slim side, so unless I can get information to the contrary, I'll pass on Peerless archtops.