The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 72 of 72

User Info Menu

Hi friends.
    I'm considering buying x 500 1992.
    I know that vintage 70 year models are good sounding.is it any difference at sound between 92 and 70 or 60 models?thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

every guitar is different regardless of year made, but a 1960 model came w/single coil pickups/
    later models had humbuckers, those will make a difference

User Info Menu

Hello,
    I think the real question is does the 1992 X500 have the original full sized HB1 pickups that were a hallmark of the Guild sound!
    Jimmy D'Aquisto, Jim Hall, and Emily Remler were fans of this pickup, and I'm guessing a 1992 X500 would have them, but you'd have to research that. Here's a link for you:

Guild Full-Sized HB1 and SD1 Pickup Variations | GAD's Ramblings

User Info Menu

A 1992 X-500 should have Guild HB-1s, unless they've been changed by a previous owner. It was later, around 1996 or '97 that SD-1s, then Fender self-made pickups started to be installed.

An X-500 from the '90s might be a bit more heavily built than one from the '70s. This might mean its a bit quieter acoustically, but shouldn't really affect the electric tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    A 1992 X-500 should have Guild HB-1s, unless they've been changed by a previous owner. It was later, around 1996 or '97 that SD-1s, then Fender self-made pickups started to be installed.

An X-500 from the '90s might be a bit more heavily built than one from the '70s. This might mean its a bit quieter acoustically, but shouldn't really affect the electric tone.
    The author of the article in the link I posed thought the SD pickups made for Guild (after Guild discontinued pickup production) were not the bad (SD1), but he did not care for the Fender made pickups (HB1) of the late 90's. He provides details on how to tell them apart.

User Info Menu

Went to buy 4 guitars today but 1 had an issue with the truss rod, the other two I couldn't get close enough on price.

The third was this. Who could say no? Not a mark on the body, just a tiny bit of fret ware.

The original bridge is in the case and will be put back on asap.

Guild X-500-1-8-jpegGuild X-500-1-7-jpegGuild X-500-1-6-jpegGuild X-500-1-5-jpegGuild X-500-1-4-jpegGuild X-500-1-3-jpegGuild X-500-1-2-jpegGuild X-500-1-1-jpeg

User Info Menu

It is a beauty and Guild make great guitars. If you can't play jazz with this one then you can't play jazz. Good catch.

User Info Menu

With Guild you get an extremely well made guitar, that's incredibly easy to play, with excellent tone, beautiful appointments and timeless style.

All in an affordable price range.

What more could you want?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    With Guild you get an extremely well made guitar, that's incredibly easy to play, with excellent tone, beautiful appointments and timeless style.

All in an affordable price range.

What more could you want?
    Congrats - thats a beautiful guitar !!
    Wishing you years of playing enjoyment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Great guitar and nice catch. Congrats!

User Info Menu

You do manage to find great guitars!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    You do manage to find great guitars!
    I'm going for either

'when it rains it pours'

or

'If you seek you shall find'.

That's all I can put it down to.

User Info Menu

A stunner for sure ! I love Guilds. I keep hoping they will make real USA archtops again.

User Info Menu

The third was this. Who could say no?
    Beautiful guitar and tough to say no to that one! Congrats! Does it have a sound post under the bridge?

User Info Menu

I'm going for either

'when it rains it pours'

or

'If you seek you shall find'.

That's all I can put it down to.
    Very nice! What is the scale length and width on those, and is the profile fat medium or skinny? I don't know much about these.

I have a blonde from 76. Most beautiful Jazz guitar that i played in my life. Hard to come by these days for sure! Yours is in beautiful condition and looks amazing, congratulations. Put some Thomastik 13 swing on, i found that this set matches the best with the guitars nature.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ggjaguar
    Beautiful guitar and tough to say no to that one! Congrats! Does it have a sound post under the bridge?
    Hi GG no it doesn't. It think Guild stopped doing that in the early 80's? Correct me if you know otherwise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    Very nice! What is the scale length and width on those, and is the profile fat medium or skinny? I don't know much about these.
    The neck on this is quite chunky for a Guild, as was my late Guild X-700.
    It's reminiscent of some of the fatter necks Ibanez put on the Artist series in the late 70's. Fast but full; not Gibson chunky.
    I believe scale length on these is 25/5, which I think has been standard since 1969 and pre 1955? but I would have to double check.

The Guild X-500 is probably the best L5 laminate type guitar around and has been for many years. The Japanese haven't built anything close, in all their laminated replica days. Gibson doesn't have anything close that comes to mind. Tal Farlows are nice but imo the Guild X-500 offers a better playing experience by some way and sonically they are more like an L5 than the Tal.

They have a very woody sound and you could almost mistake them for a solid top. Almost!

My motto would be, If you can't afford an L5 get one of these but that doesn't quite do the X-500 justice. Never played a bad one but that's Guild for you.

User Info Menu

The neck on this is quite chunky for a Guild, as was my late Guild X-700.
    I've never heard relinquishing a guitar put that way. It's sounds like there should be an obituary for it.

My very much alive X-700 doesn't seem to have a full figured neck. I would judge it to be medium.

I believe it's only the matters of timing and marketing that Gibson dominated the electric jazz box. Guild could have. Both companies made excellent guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I've never heard relinquishing a guitar put that way. It's sounds like there should be an obituary for it.

My very much alive X-700 doesn't seem to have a full figured neck. I would judge it to be medium.

I believe it's only the matters of timing and marketing that Gibson dominated the electric jazz box. Guild could have. Both companies made excellent guitars.
    I'm still in mourning Marty.

User Info Menu

Please put a comma before Marty ^

I thought he had suffered a mishap!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Please put a comma before Marty ^

I thought he had suffered a mishap!
    'Let's eat Grandma!"

"Let's eat, Grandma!"

Punctuation matters.