The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 72

User Info Menu

I'm enjoying the AF2000 a lot, but so far have not been able to plug it in, having lost the power cable to my amp, but a new power cable is on its way.

Meanwhile, I was inspired to write a blues based on a motif from Cry Me A River, and called it Blues for Barney, but someone else has claimed that title, so I added a K on the end.

I have T-I flats on it, 12s, but you might hear that the first string is under powered, so I've ordered 14s. So, it's not set up for acoustic playing - I would have chosen different strings for that - but I thought you might want to hear it as is.

For a guitar that is not designed to be acoustic, the acoustic sound is more than acceptable to me, ymmv. The neck is superb! I'm very happy with it, though still have to plug it in.

So, here is the video of me in the kitchen practising my own piece...I almost get it! And here also is the score, should anyone else want to give it a try.

Attached Images Attached Images

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rob - A nice, challenging-sounding piece to inaugurate your new archtop!

The acoustic sound of the Ibanez is surprisingly good in the recording.

User Info Menu

Give it a go yourself! ?

Yes, the unplugged sound is fine for practising with. Looking forward to getting plugged in, though.

User Info Menu

Great idea for a blues head !

User Info Menu

Very nice! Your spiffy new guitar is refreshingly free of those seemingly random rattles and rings that can be so annoying - it bodes well for a clean amplified tone. You're off to a great start with your new axe. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

Also: Nice tune!*

*Also also: What is it with power cables? Do they gather at wind-swept clearings at the full moon to perform arcane rites and then forget to return to their deep-cover mole roles as mere appliances, or what?

User Info Menu

Very nice sound!
    I associate the sound with a good sound of a classical guitar.

User Info Menu

citizenk - That's why I started the guitar screwdriver thread! There were a few rattles, but once I tightened the screws, the rattles disappeared completely.

Kris - I appreciate what you are saying, but it sounds nothing like my two classical guitars. But it does have an evenness over the entire range, which we can get with a good classical, so maybe that's what you are hearing.

I put GB's 14-gauge strings on this morning, and it is much better all round!

The power cable also arrived for the THR 10C. The sound is good, but I'm contemplating a Fender Tonemaster Twin to give it more body. Work in progress.

User Info Menu

Great Rob! I liked the playing a lot. Not many players here better than Rob. He plays musically not mechanically.
    Takes me back to the crush i had on our HS dance band singer doing Cry Me. Kathy somebody))). Sigh.
    And wait a few days for those TIs to settle in! Very pleasant guitar to play acoustically yet kicks tail in an amp.

Funny if you’re into computers you end up with drawers full of power cords.

Been telling y’all: at price point, theres not many better jazz guitars out there than a MIJ Ibanez.

jk; avowed Ibanez bigot, but Gibsons accepted and appreciated on an individual basis.

User Info Menu

Cheers, JK. Good to see you posting. Believe me, there are MANY better players here than me. I'm an amateur when it comes to jazz...but I'm working on it! The hardest thing is not negotiating 251s, but finding room for your own voice. With this little Blues for Barney K, I think I took a tiny step closer to finding a way in...

The guitar is singing better with 14s, those expensive George Benson TI's - and I've just ordered a Fender Tonemaster Twin Reverb (gulp!). Now, there's commitment!

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob; its good to be over that mess. Just need to keep Mrs jk Thinking i need special care and treatment for a while lol.

A Tone Master Twin! Everything i hear is really positive so you are definitely being twisted into jazz the right way. I see some dissatisfaction with the Deluxe, but not the Twin.
    of course, there IS the Super, but unless you really hate your neighbors probably best left alone.

User Info Menu

Ha, I think the super would not get through the front door!

User Info Menu

Rob, earlier you were asking about warmth in GB models, is this the result in your searching and listening, or is it a complete change of course? In either case both the tune and your playing come out very nicely. This promises great things for the amp cable´s arrival!

User Info Menu

Ozoro, good question. I was left feeling that any of the guitars discussed would do me well, but the AF2000 was the newest, and came with mahogany instead of maple back and sides. I found that intriguing, and wanted to give it a try. Some people really like those rare mahogany 175s…

The amp cable arrived for the THR10c, and it does sound good, but an hour ago I paid for a Fender Tonemaster Twin Reverb, so we’ll see how the guitar sounds with that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Ozoro, good question. I was left feeling that any of the guitars discussed would do me well, but the AF2000 was the newest, and came with mahogany instead of maple back and sides. I found that intriguing, and wanted to give it a try. Some people really like those rare mahogany 175s…

The amp cable arrived for the THR10c, and it does sound good, but an hour ago I paid for a Fender Tonemaster Twin Reverb, so we’ll see how the guitar sounds with that.
    According to the Ibanez site, the AF2000 has Anigre back and sides, not Mahogany. I'm not familiar with that wood, but from your description, as well as your acoustic playing, it sounds great on that guitar.

User Info Menu

Yes, anigre. It has been described by a tonewood seller as “the best mahogany you’ll ever play”.

User Info Menu

A haunting melody that is well played. And a wonderful sounding archtop, clearly a "quality" sound. My good friend from New Jersey who sadly left the forum (many of you know who that is) bought a Tonemaster Twin and is loving it. I suspect you will be well pleased with the rig, and at 33 pounds or so, it will even be gigable, should you chose to do gigs with the new rig.

Congrats on the Ibby, congrats in advance on the incoming Twin and do post more of this kind of thing. Listening and seeing such fine playing makes being on this forum worthwhile!

User Info Menu

Aw, shucks, thanks my friend. I often feel I’m here as a lover of jazz rather than as a player. But as I said earlier, I’m working on it! Aren’t we all?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Aw, shucks, thanks my friend. I often feel I’m here as a lover of jazz rather than as a player. But as I said earlier, I’m working on it! Aren’t we all?
    Rob, back in 2007, I had the honor of a lifetime to do two concerts with guitar legend Larry Coryell. When Larry and I first met to do a set list (there were no rehearsals as Larry liked things to be "in the moment and loose") I told Larry that while I felt I was a reasonably competent jazz guitarist who would not embarrass himself on stage, I still felt some intimidation playing with him as his skill level was so much higher than my own. Larry replied that we are all climbing the same hill, a hill that nobody ever gets to the top of and while some are higher up on that hill, the goal for all should be to get as far up the hill as you can.

Those were words of wisdom and certainly put me at ease.

User Info Menu

Excellent Rob !

I'm glad to see you're on the neck pickup ......even acoustically

I dig your stuff

User Info Menu

Wow, that would be an incredible moment in anyone's life. Kudos to you, Stringswinger, just for getting on the stage! But he was absolutely correct. But sometimes the higher you get, the scarier it gets!

User Info Menu

Cheers, Pingu. Much appreciated. Haha, yes, that selector switch is welded in neck position already!

User Info Menu

Rob glad to see you've got the 2000. Looks great!

Great playing too, nice choice of harmony. Very tasteful.

Like you, I've not heard my 200 plugged in yet but I think they're going to sound bloody good.

User Info Menu

They'd better!

User Info Menu

Very nice guitar, tune, and playing! Thanks for posting this, I enjoyed it.

Derek

User Info Menu

Cheers, Derek. Glad you liked it.