The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 178

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I was interested in learning what others are using for playing jazz.
    I use:
    Ernie Ball Prodigy 2mm
    Dunlop Jazztone 3mm
    Dunlop Americana
    Clifford Essex bull horn 3mm
    Ukulele felt pick
    Triangle bass pick (brand unknown).
    Last edited by sicourtjon; 12-28-2021 at 05:42 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Dunlop Jazztone 205s, reshaped to be slightly blunter. Like me.

User Info Menu

Mock turtle D'Andreas, Dunlops of many colours, Jazz I and III, huge yellow things found in the bottom of a case – the details long since erased.

User Info Menu

Plectrums for Jazz-dunlop-1-5-jpg

User Info Menu

Gibson EH (Extra Heavy)

User Info Menu

Fender 351 Extra Heavy for the past 30 years, though sometimes in recent years the red Dunlop Jazz III.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    I sometimes use one of those, cut down to the Jazz III shape because I prefer small picks (the 358 is my favorite). I've never tried the 2 mm version.

User Info Menu

I have:

Fender heavy

Snark 107NT,

two Finnpicks

and a nifty pick made of rosewood that a student gave me....

... but I usually play fingerstyle.

User Info Menu

I am so used to using the term "pick,", I thought you meant one using of these for jazz. I've got a 3 week show gig starting next week doing "42nd St." doubling on one of these. I'm thrilled because this will be only the fourth time since I've owned it that I will be using it for performances.

Richelieu 4002 Golden Eagle Plectrum Banjo (c.1977) – Elderly Instruments

User Info Menu

The Dunlop Primetone Small Triangle, 1.5 mm, non-sculpted version, is what I use. A great pick. Before that it was Fender heavies. I also gave a serious try to Dunlop's 208 & Jazz III Ultex and the D'Andrea Plec 1.5.

User Info Menu

Dunlop Prime Tone 1.5mm. Notice that there's two different points to use: the ver rounded one and the other two that are a tad less round.

User Info Menu

D'andrea Pro Plec for me.
    Traditional tear drop shape.

User Info Menu

D’andrea Pro Plec 1.5mm (small tear drop)

Blue Chip Jazz 60’s (small)

User Info Menu

D’andrea Pro Plec 1.5mm (small tear drop) model 358. Some tunes with fingertips (not nails).

I once recorded samples with different picks and I was surprised how different they sounded. The D’andrea 358 sounded warmest and ’jazziest’.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    After I broke my favorite Min'd Pick (a beautiful amber agate with the PERFECT tip) this was my mainstay for years. A nice feel in the hand - just a hint of heft - great tone, and totally un-wear-out-able.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Gibson EH (Extra Heavy)
    I like the EH in the oval edition, and buy them whenever I see them. Best all-around pick ever, IMHO. Tip geometry is bang on.

User Info Menu

This is what I carry around with me right now :
    Dunlop Jazz II, Dunlop Flow 1,5 and 2 custom-made picks from a german supplier, patterned after the old "Kasho" picks which are out of production. The Jazz picks are my fav's with all my electric guitars(been using them for over 35 years...) , the pearloid ones shine on acoustic guitar and the Flow pick is great for strumming on my resonator. For banjo playing I use your run-of-the-mill teardrop picks , thin but stiff.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jT4Y9Zo5Cm54wkXV9
    Attached Images Attached Images Plectrums for Jazz-img_4187-jpg 

User Info Menu

Wegen Picks 1.4mm Bluegrass. I went through a lot of makes, shapes, materials and thicknesses to find a pick I could use for both guitar and plectrum banjo. Quite a collection I'm left with. The banjo reveals how much a pick can influence an instument's tone.

User Info Menu

Wait, there are other picks than Jazz III max grip?

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Mock turtle D'Andreas,

User Info Menu

I never thought of using anything other than Dunlops or those ones you get when buying guitars, but after trying Red Bear Tradings, I cannot think of using anything other than them.
    Simply the best plectrum ever.
    Plectrums for Jazz-20211010_155258-jpg

User Info Menu

Dunlop Jazz II or Jazz I to me are a good compromise for multipurpose tone (jazz, funk, blues) and comfort. I like the textured grip.
    I used to use Dunlop Jazztone for playing archtops which get an even warmer tone but are not as versatile and comfortable to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mincheol.seo
    I never thought of using anything other than Dunlops or those ones you get when buying guitars, but after trying Red Bear Tradings, I cannot think of using anything other than them.
    Simply the best plectrum ever.
    Plectrums for Jazz-20211010_155258-jpg

User Info Menu

Plan to try one of these.

Most interesting picks I have come across
    Here is the site:

Plectrum.ch

Coming from Switzerland

Last edited by jazzimprov; 10-10-2021 at 03:11 PM.

User Info Menu

I’ve started using Fender 451s but using the two rounded corners. Heavy or extra heavy.