The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 178

User Info Menu

" A 4 footed treasure. A clean sort of pleasure." I love a cat. We need to get a new one.

I get me 358's from Amazon now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    BTW, I couldn't find the Pickboy 358 online... searched a few sites (Amazon, strumentimusicali.net, Thomann and other online shops). I guess I'll leave it to the pick to find me, then... as with pets, after having had cats for 25 years, afer the last one passed away, I decided I would not look for another one, but it's ok for another one to find me...
    They had them at Osiamo Music just a month or so ago. I exchanged some emails with the company. You might want to shoot them an email at info@osiamo.com.

User Info Menu

Yes, I was also led to Osiamo during my search, they seem to be the ones for Pickboy... though the closest thing they had was a nylon mandolin pick (with a long tip)
    I guess they will be available again at some point.
    Thanks for the email link, I'll try.

User Info Menu

Yes, I was also led to Osiamo during my search, they seem to be the ones for Pickboy... though the closest thing they had was a nylon mandolin pick (with a long tip)
    I guess they will be available again at some point.
    Thanks for the email link, I'll try.
    I just went to Osiamo and both .75 and 1mm jazz picks were in stock.They also sell a Pickboy variety pack of jazz picks.

User Info Menu

Finally found it. They also have T-shell 358 (they look even smaller than the black ones).

Search Results

User Info Menu

Thanks for your help!
    Before I order them I want to check if I can find an EU online store that sells them. Last time I bought strings from Just Strings.com, Italian customs opened the package and charged me import taxes!

User Info Menu

Well, from Osiamo to Italy the shipping system is with Usps priority Mail - $56.18! (not convenient!) I found a couple of shops in Italy that have Pickboys (not 358's at the moment). Will send them an email.

User Info Menu

I got the 358 Pickboys 1.20mm T-shell version from Ebay.They're made of the same material as the black ones: cellulose.
    I should receive them sometime between 19th June and 11th July. Looking forward to it.
    Cheers!

User Info Menu

Just curious: are Fender 358 Medium hard to get in Italy?

These PickBoys seem to be made of the same stuff and about the same size / shape. They are like .05mm thicker though.

User Info Menu

I got the 358 Pickboys 1.20mm T-shell version from Ebay.They're made of the same material as the black ones: cellulose.
    I should receive them sometime between 19th June and 11th July. Looking forward to it.
    Cheers!
    Excellent! The 1.20mm T-shell version is exactly what I'm interested in. Please let me know how they "size up" compared to the Fender 358.

User Info Menu

@ccroft, actually no, Fender 358s are easy to find online, they're hard to find in shops, in my experience; eccept for one shop, in my area, which is where I've got mine. I?ve got my Pro Plec D'Andrea's online.
    It'll be interesting to compare them with the Pickboy's.
    I'm not sure about the exact gauge of the Fender heavies... for the other ones: D'Andrea 1.5; Pickboy 1.20 and Harley Benton 0.96. ...different gauges, same material (more or less).
    P.S. I think Fender Heavy might be 1.5 (like the Plec D'Andrea)? I've read somewhere that D'Andrea's are actually made by Fender...

User Info Menu

@FourOnSix, I will! (+ post photo)

User Info Menu

Plectrums for Jazz-img_4008-jpg

For the past year or so it’s been these two, the Dunlop for solids with round 10s and the Blue Chip for archies with flat 12s.

With the Dunlop, I like how it ever so slightly conforms to my fingers with use.

For the BC, I’ve also used the slightly larger jazz with the holes drilled through it, and the 60 and 80 with 13s.

User Info Menu

P.S. I think Fender Heavy might be 1.5 (like the Plec D'Andrea)? I've read somewhere that D'Andrea's are actually made by Fender...
    Pretty sure the Fender heavies are lighter than that. I have a couple of older Fender extra heavy 358s, and they are about 1.2 mm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    Pretty sure the Fender heavies are lighter than that. I have a couple of older Fender extra heavy 358s, and they are about 1.2 mm.
    You're right, Fender heavies must be 1mm. Even my blue, 1mm Tortex Dunlop looks just slightly thicker than the Fender.

User Info Menu

Excellent! The 1.20mm T-shell version is exactly what I'm interested in. Please let me know how they "size up" compared to the Fender 358.
    FourOnSix, here they are!

I'd say it's in your goldilock's zone. The size looks and feels (to me) like the Fender pick (except for the Pickboy being thicker)

Plectrums for Jazz-img_0484-jpg
    Side by side
    Plectrums for Jazz-img_0485-jpg
    Pickboy on top of Fender
    Plectrums for Jazz-img_0486-jpg
    Fender on top of Pickboy
    Plectrums for Jazz-img_0487-jpg
    Pro Plec on top of Pickboy
    Plectrums for Jazz-img_0488-jpg
    Pickboy on top of Proplec
    Plectrums for Jazz-img_0489-jpg

User Info Menu

I'd say it's in your goldilock's zone. The size looks and feels (to me) like the Fender pick (except for the Pickboy being thicker)
    Thank you frabarmus!! I appreciate your getting back to me, and I REALLY appreciate the photos.

User Info Menu

No one else using D'Addario Nylpro Plus Jazz Picks @ 1.4 mm? I get them for 0.50 € apiece. Good grip and a color that let's you find them easily after having dropped one on a dark stage floor.

Last edited by Bop Head; 06-23-2023 at 01:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Interesting... D'Addario 358 picks were quite common back in the eighties, I've still got one left (sky blue, the logo was gradually erased by my thumb and the pick became slightly bent after many years of constant use)... a bit similar to Dunlop Tortex 358, in appearence, but smaller.

Plectrums for Jazz-img_0490-jpg
    D'Addario in the middle, between Fender and Dunlop Tortex
    Last edited by frabarmus; 06-23-2023 at 03:00 AM.

User Info Menu

frabarmus,

I bought three 10 packs from Osiama music, and these are MUCH smaller than the Fender picks. What gives? How can they be different from the eBay sourced picks? Hopefully, Osiama will take them back. These are unusable to me. I just ordered three more 10 packs on eBay. Hopefully, they will be sized like yours.

Plectrums for Jazz-img_0502-jpg

User Info Menu

frabarmus,

I bought three 10 packs from Osiama music, and these are MUCH smaller than the Fender picks. What gives? How can they be different from the eBay sourced picks? Hopefully, Osiama will take them back. These are unusable to me. I just ordered three more 10 packs on eBay. Hopefully, they will be sized like yours.

Plectrums for Jazz-img_0502-jpg
    Your pick does not appear to be made from celluloid like the one Frabarmus is showing.Is it made of delrin? If it is a delrin pick maybe those are different in size from the celluloid.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz
    Your pick does not appear to be made from celluloid like the one Frabarmus is showing.Is it made of delrin? If it is a delrin pick maybe those are different in size from the celluloid.
    It's celluloid. Osiama calls it "cellulose" on the website.

User Info Menu

I think you misunderstood me.I'm saying your fender pick does not look like celluoid while frabarmus definitely is.Your pick looks red and seems to be made from a different substance which might be different in size.

User Info Menu

FourOnSix, I'm sorry to hear that! I hope Osiama takes them back.

Like nyc chaz, I'm beginning to doubt that your Fender Pick and my Fender pick are exactly the same... not just the material but also the shape and size? I wish we could compare them side by side. Yours looks slightly different in colour/texture (more reddish and plain?) and the shape of it looks (to me) slightly more rounded on top and sides? I bought my Fender picks from my local guitar shop in town. I'm really enjoying my new Pickboys, both soundwise and feelwise, I got just one 10 pack.

User Info Menu

I also use the (smaller and thicker) Pro Plec D'Andrea every now and then, no problem... I think I can, though gradually, get totally comfortable with that one too. I have small hands, though, that must be said.