The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 178

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sicourtjon View Post
    Here are my latest picks.
    The one next to the Acrylux is a Dunlop Delrin 500 PrimeGrip 2mm modified to a Jazz III profile. Plays and sounds lovely, very warm mellow deep tone.
    I discovered the D'Addario Acrylux Nitro pick several months ago and it has become my new favourite.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

After my last pick shoot out, I switched to using the D'Addario Acrylux Nitro 1.5mm and the Dunlop Delrin 500 PrimeGrip 2mm modified to a Jazz III shape.
    Purchased this new bunch to test. Well, what can I say. The D'Andrea Pro Plec Jazz 6511.5mm was easily the winner out of all the picks I tried.
    They have a warm but clear tone and feel great between the fingers.
    I noticed they do have a strange look about them; as though they are concaved. Probably due to the moulding process.
    My main pick now.
    Well worth trying these.
    Attached Images Attached Images Plectrums for Jazz-20211230_222105-jpg 

User Info Menu

I try different picks but keep going back to the D'Andrea ProPlec. I especially like the 358, my favorite pick overall, but the 651 is good too. I cut it down to the size of a Jazz III 'cuz I prefer small picks. Being able to feel the edge tells me exactly how the pick is oriented; larger picks like the 351 size don't provide that information and tend to wander.

Currently I am experimenting with the Dunlop 204; I like the feel and size but too much chirp (pick noise) for acoustic playing. It sort of flows off the strings very smoothly.

For many years I used the Dunlop Delrin 500 1.5 mm, also a great pick. But the 351 size is too big, so I've cut a few of those down to Jazz III size. I'd like to try the 2 mm. Curious about the Acrylux, too.

I have always found that I prefer worn picks to new ones; I have some that have been around the house for more than 30 years.

User Info Menu

Hi! Yes, the Dunlop 204s, 205 (Jazztone series) are pretty good. I now sometimes go back to my Jazztone (gold logo lettering) Primetone black 205 3mm. The Dunlop Delrin 500 PrimeGrip 2mm (cut down to a Jazz III shape) beats it for control, feel and tone. Try one.
    Like you, I ordered Dunlop Delrin 500 but a 2mm standard (purple) but yes, it's okay but slips around.
    And yes, the D'Addario Acrylux Nitro 1.5mm is definitely worth trying.
    I'm down to three picks now oscillating between the D'Andrea Pro Plec Jazz 1.5mm (main pick), Dunlop Delrin 500 PrimeGrip 2mm and the D'Addario Acrylux Nitro 1.5mm. All three cover rhythm and solo playing. Good luck! Enjoy your playing.
    Attached Images Attached Images Plectrums for Jazz-20211230_222105-png 

User Info Menu

Here's what I ended up with:

Dunlop 205 Jazztones Pointed Tip 2.0mm for
    Acoustic Archtop. Combined with 13s TI Swing Flats this will give you a firm and warm sound.

Dunlop 2.0 Ultex® Jazz III 2.0mm, for Electric Archtop (Humbuckers in my case). Combined with 13s TI Swing Flats this will give you a very clear but also very natural sounding archtop (provided your humbucker poles are set up properly).

User Info Menu

I got a bag of D’Andrea ProPlec 651s a few days ago and used one for last night’s show. I love the size, shape, and sound. The thickness and edge are great for a warm jazz tone. What I’m not completely sold on is that the logo is readily palpable because it’s embossed. I’ve never used a pick that wasn’t smooth before, and it threw me at first.

By the end of our first set last night, it no longer felt odd. In fact, I think the texture lets me hold it more consistently with a bit less finger pressure than a smooth one. I’ll stick with it for Sunday’s blues brunch - if it proves itself there too, it’s my new favorite. Thanks, sicourtjon!

User Info Menu

A student gifted me a 6 pack of Fender Chugg picks. They are a lot like D Andrea pro Plec, 1.5, bevelled. Didn't even know Fender had picks like that!

Plectrums for Jazz-61619coynsl-_ac_sx425_-jpg

User Info Menu

Well, with experimentation with new and old picks I have found a couple of conclusions:

1. Like strings there are picks that work well with one guitar and not particularly well with another.

2. Your expectations about a specific pick are likely to be confounded once you start using it.

For many years now I have used the D'Andrea ProPlec 358 shape, sometimes switching it up with the 651 shape. Consistently reliable, works with all of my guitars pretty well and some of them extremely well. I like the 1.5 mm thickness and I really like the bullnose smooth edge. They remain a favorite and stood up well against all the other picks I have tried. They are the standard against which I judge other picks.

Prior to switching to the D'Andrea picks about 15 years ago, I had preferred the Jim Dunlop Delrin 500 picks in 1.5 mm for about 20 years. These are a sort of lavender color, 351 shape. There is a beveled edge on those picks and I always liked the way the string released off them as well as liking the tone. I have taken to cutting them down to Jazz III size as I have developed a preference for smaller picks over the years. The D'Andrea are warmer.

Following the discussions in this thread, I got the Jim Dunlop Delrin 500 Prime Grip in 2.0 mm and 1.5 mm, a D'Addario Acrylux in 1.5 mm, Dunlop Prime Tone 1.5 in Jazz III size and a Dunlop Adamas graphite pick in 2.0 mm (FWIW, this was the one Jerry Garcia used). I also have some Dunlop Jazz 204s and a 205.

My results were surprising to me. The Dunlop 2.0 mm sounds dead and dull with most of my guitars, but seems to work quite well with my Strat. It has very clean string release and flows pretty well across the strings. To my surprise I did not hate the 351 shape, which I normally don't care for since switching to smaller picks many years ago. Maybe the gripping surface was responsible for that. I did not like the 1.5 mm version with any of my guitars, either in terms of feel or tone.

The Adamas sounds great with my flattop (newly equipped with Martin Retro strings) but terrible with my archtop whether acoustic or amplified (same strings), and sounds pretty good with my semihollow and solid body electrics. I initially thought it had too much string noise, but either I learned to minimize that with how I used it or the tip broke in fairly quickly. Or maybe I just got used to the string noise quickly, it is not as prominent as some other ones that I have used. It is a light and fluid feeling pick despite its stiffness. I think this will be the pick I use with my flattop going forward. Also 351 shape which to my surprise I did not hate either; it too has some raised lettering to provide better tactile feedback.

The Dunlop 204 sounds OK to good with most of my guitars, although it has more noise against the string than I like. I had to polish the matte finish off of the edges to get a decent tone. I don't understand the rough-finished picks from Dunlop, they sound terrible. I don't like the 205 with any of my guitars so far- too bright and pointy. Once polished up it had very good string release. The rounded tip results in a nice smooth flow across the strings.

The Acrylux sounds thinner than almost any of the other picks but with my archtop creates a mid-forward sound that comes through very well in a mix. It was awful with my flattop, however, and not my favorite with my semi hollow or solid body guitars. It is a very nimble pick with excellent string release and is the same size and shape as the D'Andrea 651 with a slightly pointier tip. Very easy to play fast and accurately. It will be a contender for regular use with my archtop.

The Dunlop Prime Tone was the worst of all in terms of sound, being just bright and thin with every guitar I have tried it with- despite being extremely nimble in use. In fact, I wish it sounded better because it was one of the best feeling picks I have tried. Smooth, snappy, fast with good tactile feedback from the raised grip.

User Info Menu

Hello all,

I have been using a Fender 351 Celluloid Heavy which brings a surprisingly warm tone out of my amp with treble set quite high. However, for me I think a 351 is not ideal for fast playing. Picks that I enjoy playing fast, I don't love the tone of (e.g. Jazz III, Bermuda III Pointy 2.7mm).
    I have ordered the Pleks Zanna in celluloid which I have high hopes for. Pleks is a boutique plectrum company out of Italy.

Review- Pleks Zanna | Heavy Repping

For all my plectrum thoughts I go to Heavy Repping which is a website dedicated to the subject. In general, I prefer north of 1mm or even 2mm.

User Info Menu

I've recently been using the 2mm Dunlop Jazztone 205 a lot. I alternate between that and the 3mm Dunlop Stubby. I use the normal red Jazz III for chord melody stuff, and the aforementioned ones for single line picking.

User Info Menu

Hi,

The one and only!

Plectrums for Jazz-fender-351-jpg

Fender 351 celluloid

User Info Menu

Am I the only one who likes small (358) teardrop plectrums?

Plectrums for Jazz-img_0481-jpg
    (the Jazz II and 351 are for size comparison only)
    Last edited by frabarmus; 06-03-2023 at 12:53 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus View Post

Plectrums for Jazz-img_0481-jpg
    (the Jazz II and 351 are for size comparison only)
    You should try the Pickboy jazz picks.I love these on my acoustic archtops and flatops.Plectrums for Jazz-pickboy-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz View Post
    You should try the Pickboy jazz picks.I love these on my acoustic archtops and flatops.Plectrums for Jazz-pickboy-png
    358 is the only shape I get along with. I'm tempted to try the Pickboys, but I asked someone from the company to measure one, and it appears it is slightly smaller than the Fender 358, which is my Goldilocks size. Can you confirm that, or is it pretty much a clone of the Fender?

User Info Menu

Nope. I'm not comfortable with any other size and shape.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nyc chaz View Post
    Thanks, I'm going to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix View Post
    358 is the only shape I get along with. I'm tempted to try the Pickboys, but I asked someone from the company to measure one, and it appears it is slightly smaller than the Fender 358, which is my Goldilocks size. Can you confirm that, or is it pretty much a clone of the Fender?
    I don't mind if it's slightly smaller than the Fender. I'm definitely going for it.

User Info Menu

I don't mind if it's slightly smaller than the Fender. I'm definitely going for it.
    If you can report back after you receive the Pickboy with a photo of it and the Fender 358, I would be most appreciative.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix View Post
    If you can report back after you receive the Pickboy with a photo of it and the Fender 358, I would be most appreciative.
    Sure! anyway, if you look at the foto I've already posted, I can report that the two plectrums on the right (Pro Plec D'Andrea and Harley Benton) are very slightly smaller than the Fender. You can hardly tell by looking at them, but you feel the difference when you hold them.

User Info Menu

I have about 300 picks but alas no Fenders to compare the size.The Pickboy comes in .75 and 1mm and i really like both.Compared to Dunlops of a similar size,they just feel and sound better in my opinion.My Blue chip is usually my go to pick but the Pickboys just sound really good acoustically.

User Info Menu

You are not alone. I haven't played anything other than Fender 358 Medium since 1971. When was gigging it was one pick per night. Used to get them by the gross.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    You are not alone. I haven't played anything other than Fender 358 Medium since 1971. When was gigging it was one pick per night. Used to get them by the gross.
    That was my pick choice from 83 to 2005.

User Info Menu

I was using them in those years as well :-)

When I started it was pretty much either Gibson & Fender. I went with Gibson for guitars and Fender for picks and amps. There's so much other stuff now!

User Info Menu

I did switch to Jazz IIs & IIIs, for a while and got used to them, then I went back to 358s and felt so much more at home.
    They're not that easy to find in shops... like, where I live, there's 2 shops (out of a dozen) where you can find them: in one Dunlop Tortex only and in the otherone Fenders only. The other shops don't have 358s. I remember during the mid eighties, when I started using them, they were, mostly, D'Addario's, at my local shop...now those have disappeared. I use Fender and D'Andrea most times.

User Info Menu

BTW, I couldn't find the Pickboy 358 online... searched a few sites (Amazon, strumentimusicali.net, Thomann and other online shops). I guess I'll leave it to the pick to find me, then... as with pets, after having had cats for 25 years, afer the last one passed away, I decided I would not look for another one, but it's ok for another one to find me...