The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 178

User Info Menu

Hi Rob,
    I was just about to ask you what pick/s you use and there was the answer!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi all,

The search goes on for that ultimate pick!
    Recently I procured a few more new ones to try:
    Timber Tones buffalo horn 2mm.
    Dunlop Flow 2mm.
    Dunlop Flow 3mm.
    Dunlop Delrin 500 PrimeGrip 2mm.

Out of these four picks the Dunlop Delrin 500 PrimeGrip 2mm won the test. Once this picks between your thumb and index finger it doesn’t want move! It's tone is warm and mellow. I like it a lot and it's now become my main pick. The Dunlop Flow 2mm came second followed by the 3mm. The Timber Tone was a little too pointy for me but when I turned the pick around and used the round edge I wasn't bad for three note comping chord rhythms.
    Any else like the Dunlop Delrin 500 PrimeGrip?

Ps- thank you for all your replies.

User Info Menu

Here are my picks I'm currently using
    Attached Images Attached Images Plectrums for Jazz-20211211_212448-jpg 

User Info Menu

Plectrum.ch.

Some wild stuff here........

User Info Menu

I use different picks depending on the guitar and the playing situation. For pure acoustic archtop, I tend to use one of several ebony picks. For electric, one of several Blue Chips, or a Benedetto teardrop. I have dozens of picks and periodically I pull out the box and try one or another, but they all quickly go back in the box.

User Info Menu

Plectrums for jazz?

User Info Menu

John Petrucci signature picks for me. They actually do make my guitar sound better than the plasticy Jazz III's. They are the same profile but a little thicker and some other kind of material, although I'm not sure. Only thing I don't love is I wish they were a little more grippy.

User Info Menu

I use picks between 2mm and 4mm thickness for all of my non-fingerstyle work. Thick picks really keep the transfer of energy efficient.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chris32895
    John Petrucci signature picks for me. They actually do make my guitar sound better than the plasticy Jazz III's. They are the same profile but a little thicker and some other kind of material, although I'm not sure. Only thing I don't love is I wish they were a little more grippy.

User Info Menu

I have some of the JP picks, and I like them. I think the top part with the etched logo is supposed to help grip, but it doesn't, for me. I tend to keep one or two lying around within reach, for those times when it's too much trouble to dig into m pocket for a Blue Chip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    I tried these and really liked the sound, but I have never, ever, owned anything as slippery as these picks.

I've now settled on a mix of Primetone 1.3mm small triangles, and Dunlop Flow 1mm, depending on the guitar.

User Info Menu

Last edited by jazzimprov; 12-15-2021 at 09:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Great photo!
    I ordered one of these to try. Not bad but not for me. The PrimeGrip 2mm sounds much better.

User Info Menu

I believe Steve Khan uses these.

User Info Menu

Here are my latest picks.
    The one next to the Acrylux is a Dunlop Delrin 500 PrimeGrip 2mm modified to a Jazz III profile. Plays and sounds lovely, very warm mellow deep tone.
    Attached Images Attached Images Plectrums for Jazz-20211228_141156-jpg 

User Info Menu

For all you folks who have issues with your pick slipping out of place or out of hand, a very likely cause is that your hands (finger tips) are very dry. Try some Neutrogena Norwegian formula hand lotion. Start by using it before you go to bed, then a few times throughout the day, even just massaging a tiny bit on all finger tips. I find it can also lower the volume of squeaking. Best not to apply immediately before playing but after a few days of use you should note an improved control of your pick.
    My most recent pick revaluation is the humble Fender heavy celluloid along with Martin retro monel strings on my AR 805ce. Perfect mix of volume, clarity on lower strings and sublime sweetness on the trebles. I had used the same strings in .12’s but the difference with .13’s is significant, at least on this guitar.

User Info Menu

I recently tried a polished stone pick. Did not like it at all. Very brittle metallic sound.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I've tried wood, metal, bone, horn, stone, and about a gazillion varieties of plastic and various composites. Ebony works pretty well for acoustic rhythm, but the Fender Heavy does too. Bone, horn, stone, metal, are all useless to me. I like Blue Chips for single-note playing. The Benedetto heavy 358 shape is great when a brighter tone is needed, and the John Petrucci (whoever he is) signature pick is very good, really as close to a Blue Chip as anything I've tried. I just don't like the embossed initials and other stuff, preferring a smooth pick. What I usually carry around in a pick pouch in my pocket is some Blue Chips and a Benedetto. I suppose Fender makes a pick just like it, but I got a package free from Benedetto, and haven't seen a need to buy more.

User Info Menu

Been a Jazz III player for years.

Recently started alternating between the black XL, purple tortex Jazz III XL and Black Ice 1.10mm.

Plectrums for Jazz-img_20211229_201619-jpg

User Info Menu

Dat triangle

Quote Originally Posted by sicourtjon
    Here are my latest picks.
    The one next to the Acrylux is a Dunlop Delrin 500 PrimeGrip 2mm modified to a Jazz III profile. Plays and sounds lovely, very warm mellow deep tone.

User Info Menu

In order of frequency of use:
    thumb
    thumb, index, and middle
    black Jazz III, red Jazz II, black Jazz I
    Jazztone 204
    Big Stubby 2mm
    Big Stubby 3mm

User Info Menu

I have a Dunlop Primetone 3mm which I am increasingly fond of tone wise. for pic see below. My second pick so to speak is a Dunlop Asamas 2mm.

Dunlop Primetone Pick Pack 3mm L – Thomann Sverige

User Info Menu

A really thick pick like a wegen is great for a gypsy jazz style guitar but pretty awful for a 'regular' archtop.

User Info Menu

Plectrums for Jazz-2picks-jpg

I use the black one for acoustics and archtops with 12s and the green for solid and semi-hollow bodies with 10s.