The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hello Community,

I would like to have my guitars appraised so I can get insurance on them. How does one go about doing so? I was previously a violin player and there are many places here in Chicago you can go, but for pretty niche-archtop guitars I'm less certain.

Thank you for any advice, experience, help!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'd say Terry Straker at Guitar Works in Evanston would be best local bet for an arch top appraisal

PK

User Info Menu

Can one incorporate themselves, and do the appraisals themselves? I've been thinking about this too. Especially for my wife's violin.

User Info Menu

Don't use them, but this company gets high marks on other forums:

Heritage Insurance | Musical Instruments & Equipment | Free Quote

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    Don't use them, but this company gets high marks on other forums:

Heritage Insurance | Musical Instruments & Equipment | Free Quote
    It gets high marks here too. They’ve always been very prompt and helpful for me. Fortunately I’ve never had to make a claim, so I can’t comment on that.

User Info Menu

If you have something replaceable you may be able to insure it on a special articles policy on your homeowners insurance - at replacement value.

if not replaceable, or if the loss scenario is outside the home, then a professional appraiser may help.

Carter Vintage Guitars in Nashville is helpful, especially with Gibsons.

Good distinction. These aren't replaceable so will be seeking out one of these resources

User Info Menu

Heritage Insurance for the guitar but I personally would do the appraisal with George Gruhn. He has the full standing in the vintage community and generally easy to do even from a distance. As long as you go over the guitar correct they can do it by photos.

User Info Menu

Not to state the obvious, but there's a difference between getting an appraisal and getting insurance.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 10-08-2021 at 10:41 PM.

User Info Menu

I use Heritage as well but thankfully have not had to make a claim, but all I've heard is that they are very good with claims. BTW they are changing their underwriter this year to the Great American Insurance Group, but I don't know if that will make any difference.

I have periodically sent them updated appraisals, but it's getting harder (and more expensive!) to find places to do that. Gruhn did mine years ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by timc100
    Hello Community,

I would like to have my guitars appraised so I can get insurance on them. How does one go about doing so? I was previously a violin player and there are many places here in Chicago you can go, but for pretty niche-archtop guitars I'm less certain.

Thank you for any advice, experience, help!
    I can't add to the great advice already provided regarding appraisals. However, since you indicate your purpose is to insure your guitars, you might start by carefully reviewing your homeowner/renters/condo policy with your agent. Most personal homeowner policies cover musical instruments as part of your 'Contents/Personal Property' section of your policy, if damaged by one of the 'named perils' (e.g. fire, water, theft, etc.), but have a set amount of coverage or 'Contents/PPrpty. Policy Limit'.

Unless you see an Exclusion for musical instruments, there may be some coverage for your guitars. Most personal homeowner policies exclude or severely limit the amount of coverage if you use your instruments if you use them in business or while in the course and scope of employment at any time. That is why the recommendation to check with your agent and research specialty insurers is a wise move.

At the time of a loss and presenting your claim for damages, the last thing you want is a fight with your company about coverage. Also, be prepared to present proof of ownership (photos, purchase receipts, repair invoices, etc.). Without proof of ownership your claim can be greatly reduced or denied. The burden of proof rests with you, not the insurance carrier. Also, if any inconsistencies, misrepresentations or lack of evidence exists by the policyholder, chances are your claim may be denied, and depending on the State, a referral may be made to the governmental regulatory agency for suspected fraud.

This is likely more than you need to know or already know, but every instrument owner, pro musician or hobbiest should be aware of insurance issues. You are very wise to inquire about appraisals. Check with your agent and carefully read your policy. You'll feel better about the protection you've purchased for your guitars and other property.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Not to state the obvious, but here's a difference between getting an appraisal and getting insurance.
    Right, but the appraisal can help get the right amount of coverage, otherwise the insurance company may think that you pulled the number out of the.... rectal database.

User Info Menu

I have never had an appraisal, but the 1947 Gibson L7 I purchased, did come with a realistic in-person appraisal from George Gruhn. On the website I see he also offers appraisals based on photographs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Right, but the appraisal can help get the right amount of coverage, otherwise the insurance company may think that you pulled the number out of the.... rectal database.
    Exactly, the op asked about appraisals, not insurance services. Just wanted to point that out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Heritage Insurance for the guitar but I personally would do the appraisal with George Gruhn. He has the full standing in the vintage community and generally easy to do even from a distance. As long as you go over the guitar correct they can do it by photos.
    As a working musician, I carry a Heritage Insurance policy as my instruments are not covered by my homeowners policy when I leave the house. Heritage allows you to declare the value of the instrument and charges your premium accordingly. If I was relying on my homeowners policy, I might have Gruhn do the appraisal on my high end instruments by photos if I was in conflict with the insurance company about value after a loss.