The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Pretty cool device for a flattop.

The Intonator - StewMac

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Cool. I am not sure what is the use of the pencil. No preliminary distance measurement can replace the saddle adjustement process which is based on ear (or tuner)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    Cool. I am not sure what is the use of the pencil. No preliminary distance measurement can replace the saddle adjustement process which is based on ear (or tuner)
    The pencil marks where to cut the slot.

Ah I see, it's just a measuring tool, I just watched the video. I initially thought that it was meant to replace the saddle. No wonder I thought it looks clunky.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jonh
    The pencil marks where to cut the slot.
    I missed that slot is needed, I suppose for maintain the action... This case this is a bit limits the usability, regarding different string sets may require different saddle position.

After writing this I realized, it is possible I misunderstood the whole thing, and this is not a permanent installation, instead a luthier tool... and the real saddles will placed instead one by one...

And after writing that, I realized Woody Sound also went through that enlightenent process, so it would be enough me to pay attention :-)

User Info Menu

This one is pretty cool, too.

User Info Menu

Maybe I am not so enlightened but why not cut the slot wider and shape the saddle per the offsets found with this tool?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    Maybe I am not so enlightened but why not cut the slot wider and shape the saddle per the offsets found with this tool?
    Read the instructions. That is exactly one of the methods presented. The others are to cut a narrow slot and get average intonation, or to install individual saddles. It's up to the person doing the installation as to which method to use.

User Info Menu

I looked at this device recently when tooling up a workshop, with StewMac gear and in the end I passed on it.
    I might be wrong but it seems to me that once you've found the correct placement for the high and low E, it's kinda irrelevant what the other 4 strings say because your slot is cut, on the placement of the low and high E pencil line.

As far as I could make out.

User Info Menu

Not necessarily. It's possible to cut individual slots for individual saddles. It's not common, and it's not easy, but it's possible. It's also possible to use a wide saddle, and cut the angle for each string separately, giving a somewhat closer intonation similar to a wooden compensated archtop saddle. But in general, factory produced guitars have a narrower saddle, cut to a set position for every guitar, because it's far quicker and cheaper, just as it 's quicker and cheaper to cut the nut slots too high, to prevent having to throw some away and redo them. For a handmade individual instrument, speed and economy don't apply so heavily, and StewMac isn't selling to factories, but to individual luthiers and DIYers. For your company, individual attention to getting intonation just right may not be cost effective. Sometimes, close enough is good enough.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I think it's absolutely brilliant!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I think it's absolutely brilliant!
    Which, the noodle fan?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Which, the noodle fan?
    I'm down with noodles,* all right, but I was referring to the gizmo, which I think is pretty nifty.

*I could go for some Singapore Chow Mei Fun right now, were it not for the sodium. Rats!