The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 75

User Info Menu

Hooray to understanding, supporting and discerning wives! Not everyone is blessed with one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congratulations Steve on the latest addition to your Trenier collection. I remember hearing the Classic last year when Will posted the two Monk tunes on YT and being really impressed by the guitar. It seems to embody all of the quintessential Trenier qualities-the amazing balance across the strings, big voice and the organ like sustain not to mention that it’s another fine example of Bryant’s artistry. Play it in good health!

User Info Menu

That’s a stunner, Steve! I have admired it from Pasquale’s instructional videos. I’m glad it’s in your hands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Balanwood, I'm sure they were hanging right next to each other in the spray rack. I'd love to see a pic of #1108.
    Here’s #1108. Built for John Stewart in 2014 and pictured (below) next to its D’Aquisto ‘parent’ and inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Utterly magnificent - visually striking, with contours simultaneously zaftig and elegant, with an easy poise and what I call "object-ness." Sonically, articulate and precisely detailed with a ringing sustain that gives each note its full voice within an exquisite balance. This is a apex instrument, world-class without doubt, and it has found its rightful home. Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    Citizenk74,
    You have always been a class act my friend - and thanks for the thoughtfully kind comments-much appreciated. Stay well.

Quote Originally Posted by FourOnSix
    And thank you. But actually, my Aurelia already IS very special. It's this one.

https://www.facebook.com/trenierguit...9336331309249/
    FourOnSix,
    WOW- I missed the connection of that build being in your possession. Congrats ! You can hear the throaty warmth and organ like sustain - which is a unique characteristic of Bryant’s guitars. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    An 18” Trenier! Hey, that’s nearly the depth of a Super Eagle but with a voice and true refinement. Congratulations Steve!
    Yes-it’s similar in body size to the Super Eagle - but the voice and timbre is quite different. Thanks for your participation and the congrats 2b - much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Hooray to understanding, supporting and discerning wives! Not everyone is blessed with one.
    Gutter bug - your right. I’m blessed that my wife has such an interest in Archtop guitars. She could actually walk you through the build process.

Gutter bug - your right. I’m blessed that my wife has such an interest in Archtop guitars. She could actually walk you through the build process.

Quote Originally Posted by marcut
    Congratulations Steve on the latest addition to your Trenier collection. I remember hearing the Classic last year when Will posted the two Monk tunes on YT and being really impressed by the guitar. It seems to embody all of the quintessential Trenier qualities-the amazing balance across the strings, big voice and the organ like sustain not to mention that it’s another fine example of Bryant’s artistry. Play it in good health!
    Marcut- so great to hear from you and I hope all is well. Your succinct impression of the guitar is right on the money. It fits well among my other Treniers - which all have a different voice - but equally possess that great balance and organ like sustain. Thanks for your participation and kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    That’s a stunner, Steve! I have admired it from Pasquale’s instructional videos. I’m glad it’s in your hands.
    Hi Mark - hope your still enjoying your Trenier. This one is real special - and I’m really glad it came my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanwood
    Here’s #1108. Built for John Stewart in 2014 and pictured (below) next to its D’Aquisto ‘parent’ and inspiration.

Balanwood - Thanks for posting pics of #1108- what a beauty ! Seeing it next the D’Aquisto really showcases Bryants commitment with faithfully recreating Jimmy’s design.

This is turning into a fun post by having participants like yourself share more Trenier stories. Thanks so much for posting your pics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Balanwood

Congratulations. I remember when John had that Trenier. FYI, that D'Aquisto in the picture is my former D'Q NY Classic which was originally built for Gary Larson. That's my "The one that got away!" Hence my somewhat silly but sincere name on this forum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Congratulations. I remember when John had that Trenier. FYI, that D'Aquisto in the picture is my former D'Q NY Classic which was originally built for Gary Larson. That's my "The one that got away!" Hence my somewhat silly but sincere name on this forum.
    A D’Aquisto is the only guitar I could not ever imagine parting with. I mean, where do you go from there? I imagine life circumstances can happen. But damn, that’s the ultimate!

User Info Menu

Thanks for filling in a little more of the origin story of #1108 for me. It’s wonderful to hear of the connections to other instruments and their (sometimes sadly temporary!) custodians.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    A D’Aquisto is the only guitar I could not ever imagine parting with. I mean, where do you go from there? I imagine life circumstances can happen. But damn, that’s the ultimate!
    The good part of my "The one that got away story" is that the guitar served as a bridge to a relationship with the current owner who is now one of my dearest friends. So it was worth losing the guitar to gain the friend.

Okay. Back to Steve's wonderful Trenier Classic!

User Info Menu

Beautiful, Steve. Congratulations! Did you get it from Will? It's funny, I've had Jimmy D'Aquisto guitars on my mind. A couple of months ago I went to TR Crandall and played that New Yorker. It was the best guitar in the shop at the time (at least among the guitars that were for sale; a friend of mine had an amazing L5 there for repair).
    Last edited by omphalopsychos; 10-08-2021 at 01:49 PM.

User Info Menu

The good part of my "The one that got away story" is that the guitar served as a bridge to a relationship with the current owner who is now one of my dearest friends. So it was worth losing the guitar to gain the friend.

Okay. Back to Steve's wonderful Trenier Classic!
    Half of the joy of having and playings great guitars comes from the friends we make along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    Beautiful, Steve. Congratulations! Did you get it from Will? It's funny, I've had Jimmy D'Aquisto guitars on my mind. A couple of months ago I went to TR Crandall and played that New Yorker. It was the best guitar in the shop at the time (at least month the guitars that were for sale; a friend of mine had an amazing L5 there for repair).
    Hi Juan - nice to hear from you ! Yes, this guitar was sent to me from Will.

Glad you had a chance to play the New Yorker. As you know, once you begin the journey of playing these great guitars, you experience something unique- and an obsession can begin which is only satisfied by acquiring one , or something close.

This 18” Classic has a soft round timbre with incredible sustain , and very well suited to my style of playing. It’s very different than say a brighter / crispier Super 400 - which has that parallel braced orchestra vibe. Both great in their own right, but this is much more comfortable to play and better suited for chord melody work in my opinion.

Using the right plectrum is they key to achieving full tone from these wide bridge D’Aquisto style builds. I shape the radius of each plectrum to meet the needs of my individual guitars. For this guitar I’m using the .054 thick Monteleone - which drives the top in powerful , but warm kind of way. John Monteleone is one of my best friends, so I have a access to these all the time.

To get great tone - the plectrum has to be right. Jimmy D’Aquisto taught me this concept back in 1991. He was adamant about the thickness of the plectrum , how to hold it - along with the correct attack angle. That lesson has stuck with me all these years.

Thanks for the congrats !

User Info Menu

Matching the plectrum to the guitar: now, that’s the kind of detail and sensitivity that makes life worth living!

User Info Menu

Amazing and congrats. Enjoy in good health. Cheers to you!

User Info Menu

That's quite a wife.

Quite a special guitar too.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Amazing and congrats. Enjoy in good health. Cheers to you!
    ArchtopHeaven,
    Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    That's quite a wife.

Quite a special guitar too.
    Greentone
    Thanks ! Both are special for sure. My wife is a real gem when it comes to me buying guitars. The key is to reciprocate - so I buy her all the fabric, framing materials, sewing/quilting machines etc. - to support her hobby equally.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Matching the plectrum to the guitar: now, that’s the kind of detail and sensitivity that makes life worth living!
    It really makes a difference. If you open my guitar cases there will be a plectrum with hand shaped radius for that guitar.

Since you and I also play Classical guitar, you know how important it is to shape the fingertips - and polish in a nice radius around the nail and under ( thickness portion) the nail. Without doing that you cannot get optimal tone.

I use a manicure set of soft buffering files , with various grits to arrive at a highly polished rounded edge on the plectrum - the results are amazing.

I generally find the radius on a typical V shaped pic is too pointy, and will provide a thin tone.