The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I love mine. A totally no-drama solid as a rock player. I replaced the 490R pickup with a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover and it’s perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes a friend mentioned the pickup. I played it thorough a small Laney when checking it out. Sounded good.

If I changed the pickup I'd probably go for a super 58 or an Hb-1.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    That fingerboard looks superb, inviting!
    I thought the same Rob.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Yes a friend mentioned the pickup. I played it thorough a small Laney when checking it out. Sounded good.

If I changed the pickup I'd probably go for a super 58 or an Hb-1.
    Actually the 490R didn't sound bad. It has a the punchy, more electric sound of the fully potted humbucker with a bit more high end. I think it sounded a bit more "metallic" without being too much. But I love the PAF-like sound of the SDSL and in my ES165 it's just lovely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Actually the 490R didn't sound bad. It has a the punchy, more electric sound of the fully potted humbucker with a bit more high end. I think it sounded a bit more "metallic" without being too much. But I love the PAF-like sound of the SDSL and in my ES165 it's just lovely.
    I'll have a look on ebay for a used SDSL. Never heard one as far as I know. Worth a go; bit of fun etc..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    I'll have a look on ebay for a used SDSL. Never heard one as far as I know. Worth a go; bit of fun etc..
    I have loved this pickup, using it in a "budget" guitar and then after several years with the ES165 and the 490R, trying it in that one. Perfect match of performance and instrument. Plus I had it in the parts box....

User Info Menu

Archtop.

dont put a Super 58 in trust me i have both. A Super 58 is brilliant, but not for a 175/165. rather a classic 57 or Lawson Seth Lover. The Super 58 has a clearer articulate sound. The orig 490N in the ES-165 is a shade brigter than Classic 57.

Having said this i like dark pups. yet a Ibanez Super 58 talking 79-83 ish are wonderfull AS200 JP20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    Archtop.

dont put a Super 58 in trust me i have both. A Super 58 is brilliant, but not for a 175/165. rather a classic 57 or Lawson Seth Lover. The Super 58 has a clearer articulate sound. The orig 490N in the ES-165 is a shade brigter than Classic 57.

Having said this i like dark pups. yet a Ibanez Super 58 talking 79-83 ish are wonderfull AS200 JP20
    Hmmm, interesting.