The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I just picked up a lovely Gibson HR Custom:

Floating Humbucker for Gibson Howard Roberts Custom-0c8ecb7d-8ba6-4320-9e54-4e284a436537-jpeg

It has a mini hum currently installed, which sounds good - but I definitely have that kind of sound covered and I’m hoping to put a full size humbucker in there. Since I tend to be a bit a of superficial traditionalist as far as looks go , I really want a chrome cover. I’m hoping you all might have some advice. Nothing crazy, just a good old fashioned humbucker. I’ve never had a floating pickup before so I’m not sure what’s out there. I’ve googled but there seems to be mostly Johnny Smith mini’s or the black/open pole faced pickup types.

Thanks!
    Last edited by bww; 10-03-2021 at 09:54 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Boris Dommenget sells an full-sized floating pickup.
    I've played a guitar with it and it sounded great.
    It comes with a clever mini-switch that can be installed under a pickguard, and allows for two or three different sounds.
    I think Harry Haussel may also offer a full-sized floating humbucker as well.
    This has been previously discussed here and, IIRC, there are a couple of American makers who will make one for you as well.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-04-2021 at 07:19 AM.

User Info Menu

If you're in the US, Pete Biltoft aka Vintage Vibe is your best bet.

User Info Menu

The Gibson and the American built Epiphone versions of the HR have a Bill Lawrence built pickup from when he worked for Gibson. That pickup is distinctly different from the Johnny Smith pickup.

Howard Roberts | Vintage Guitar(R) magazine

User Info Menu

Strange that a previous owner replaced the original full sized pickup with that mini.

User Info Menu

Yes, Pete Biltoft makes one, and it’s good enough that Bryant Trenier is using it now.

Thanks everyone. I reached out to Pete Biltoft. He doesn’t list it on his web site, but makes exactly what i was looking for.

Thanks all!

User Info Menu

How does the Biltoft full size humbucker compare to the one made by Kent Armstrong?

User Info Menu

Pete will customize windings, magnets, dimensions, etc. So will Kent if you contact him directly, but most of his pickups are his standard recipes sold through various retail options. I have found both very good to work with.

User Info Menu

Contact MJ who handles the custom shop at Seymour Duncan. They've made them for several players I've known and you can specify your magnets, windings, number of conductor lead wires, etc. You can even get 4 conductor leads so you have the option of a full humbucker or single coil, as is the old D'Armond sound with the flip of a switch or pull of the pot knob. They do a fine job.
    One thing of note though, the Roberts and any neck mounted pickup has a set height. This means non negotiable distance between the pickup and the strings. The neck mount puts the pickup towards the high end of an adjustable humbucker adjustment. For some this gives a very sharply focused sound, and to some, accentuates the high end or brings out the limitations of one's picking technique. I know for someone I know, this was not the warm forgiving and mellow sound he wanted and he switched to a different floater.
    With a Duncan custom, you can chose magnets and windings that can work with your individual instrument, style and desired sound. MJ is also very well informed in suggesting a combination that would work well for you.
    I found Duncan very reasonable for a custom pickup. I switched the pickup on my GB10 to a Duncan and I was VERY pleased with the result. It's worth considering anyway.

User Info Menu

Hi jimmy, thanks for your thoughts around Duncan's custom shop work.

I also have a GB10 and have thought about changing the neck p/u out for a full HB sound.
    What did you have made for your GB?

You seemed happy with the outcome,that in itself is a positive for me.

I think Duncan makes a JS type neck mounted floater, so they have the mount situation covered,
    but I wonder if they could squeeze a few more winds and perhaps by using a different magnet they
    could get me a bit bigger, warmer sound? Hmm....
    Or perhaps the pick guard would have to be carved out a bit if needed to get a full sized HB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonray

I also have a GB10 and have thought about changing the neck p/u out for a full HB sound.

I think Duncan makes a JS type neck mounted floater, so they have the mount situation covered,
    but I wonder if they could squeeze a few more winds and perhaps by using a different magnet they
    Or perhaps the pick guard would have to be carved out a bit if needed to get a full sized HB
    The original had a full sized bucker, so If the OP has the original pg he should be all set.

User Info Menu

I had them wind me a '59 and a Jazz, because at the time I had a Japanese GB10 and a Korean one. The Fujigen one has a little darker overall sound because it's fitted with ebony fingerboard and bridge. I put the 59 into that, to get a warmer PAF type voice from that guitar.
    The Korean GB has Rosewood FB and br and it has a distinct acoustic attack because of that. I had them wind me a Jazz in a tiny pickup. That guitar has a woodier overall sound to it (I have always like Jim Hall's D'Aquisto sound with the Guild pickup he had in there; that's my ideal.)
    The pickups came with a signed spec sheet from Seymour who wound them. But when they arrived, they had pickguard mount rather than the Johnny Smith. Oops. No problem, they apologized, and then they made me the ones I wanted and said "Keep the other ones if you want to just cover our costs." Such nice people to work with.

And how do they sound? SOOO good. World of a difference. Not exactly a big box clone and definitely not a GB10 sound, but something with the warmth of a larger humbucker, the attack of a 15" guitar, that solid distinctive sustain of the Benson. By the way, I kept the stock GB10 on the bridge and the blend lets me mix the bark of the stock PU with the punchy warmth of the Duncan.

They can work miracles there. Write to the custom department and they can alter windings, offer magnet choices, fix you up so you can do a series/parallel, whatever you want.

Hope you find what you're looking for either way.

User Info Menu

Definitely. But on the plastic guard, it's not difficult. A dremel or file can do that with a little elbow grease.
    It becomes a matter of choice and taste. The full sized humbucker has a considerably wider sampling area, meaning it 'hears' more of the string length. That tends to create a little rounder(?) sound if you A/B them. The mini feels to me to have a slightly more focused plugged in sound.
    But this is VERY subjective. I listen to Johnny Smith on recordings. Does it sound definitively different because he's got a tiny humbucker? I don't really know, it just sound like him. So in this adventure, you have information, you write the book on what works with your setup.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.
    Sorry not to have acknowledged it earlier, I didn't see it on New Posts.

I am liking the 59 idea, I'll get on to Duncans and tell them what I'm trying to achieve.