The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Anyone here own one of those SKB Universal gig bags: Universal Shaped Electric Guitar Soft Case | SKB Music / ProAV ? Any input on them? Looking for a decent gig bag for under $150 looking to upgrade from the standard Fender deluxe bag that came with my Road Worn 50's Telecaster. Also found what seems to be a new offering Fender has in gig bags: https://www.fender.com/en-US/accesso...991612406.html .
    I like the idea the SKB soft cases have a foam type shell like the Tric cases.

I do have a SKB hardshell case but a gig bag with back pack straps comes in handy when going to and from local cafe gigs.

I know about the Mono and higher $ bags and looking for something under $150.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks great. I love rigid foam. Incredibly light weight but good protection.

User Info Menu

Most of the gig bags that I have ever had suffered from having fabric interiors that eventually the string ends on the headstock chewed up. Also, the guitar usually seems to be kind of floppy inside the bag and I don't like that.

A few years ago I bought a guitar that came with a Levy's EM17 or something like that; it had a pile interior, a sort of triangular shape and hugged the guitar very securely. It is my favorite gig bag, but it does only have one pocket that really is suitable only for some sheet music and/or a cable. Gibson used to sell them with their own branding for a while and I have found them on Craigslist for $30-$40. Mine easily hold a Telecaster or Stratocaster which are the longest electric guitars I own.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Most of the gig bags that I have ever had suffered from having fabric interiors that eventually the string ends on the headstock chewed up. Also, the guitar usually seems to be kind of floppy inside the bag and I don't like that.

A few years ago I bought a guitar that came with a Levy's EM17 or something like that; it had a pile interior, a sort of triangular shape and hugged the guitar very securely. It is my favorite gig bag, but it does only have one pocket that really is suitable only for some sheet music and/or a cable. Gibson used to sell them with their own branding for a while and I have found them on Craigslist for $30-$40. Mine easily hold a Telecaster or Stratocaster which are the longest electric guitars I own.
    Not sure about the new gigbags but the old Reunion Blues and subsequent Kronkhite bags have a leather patch sewn in the top where the headstock is that prevents tearing the interior.

User Info Menu

All the gig bags I've seen have at least a heavy nylon patch to protect from the strings. I have a Gator that I like, but it's for a full-size acoustic guitar, not a solid-body. I have a Levy's that I bought for my G&L tele copy, and it does fine for that. Not a lot of pockets, but I don't really need much for what little use I have for a solid-body.

User Info Menu

I own the SKB bag. I keep my telecaster in it. It travels with me in the car a lot and I’ve taken two flights with it. It fits in the overhead and is awesome!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BillCoplin
    I own the SKB bag. I keep my telecaster in it. It travels with me in the car a lot and I’ve taken two flights with it. It fits in the overhead and is awesome!
    Glad to hear that. I am leaning towards that SKB soft case.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci
    Glad to hear that. I am leaning towards that SKB soft case.
    It's not really a "soft case". It has a nylon fabric outer layer but rigid foam provides a genuine structure that in many ways is better at protecting the contents than most traditional hard cases. The downside is that the longevity is not as good but if the function of a case is protecting the guitar, then rigid foam does a great job while adding the convenience of being incredibly light weight.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    It's not really a "soft case". It has a nylon fabric outer layer but rigid foam provides a genuine structure that in many ways is better at protecting the contents than most traditional hard cases. The downside is that the longevity is not as good but if the function of a case is protecting the guitar, then rigid foam does a great job while adding the convenience of being incredibly light weight.
    The longevity is what concerns me. I've read reviews of the straps coming apart. They are stitched on vs. clipped on like my Guild poly foam case which has held up well for a few years.

User Info Menu

I have one of these for my Les Paul (different shape, same concept) I think it's a good case. For the tele I use a Mono Sleeve which I like even better.
    The main point for me is the unique easy access to the guitar. I often play very small stages and rehearsal rooms and it's much easier to pull the guitar from the case standing up than finding a spot to lay down a more traditional case (like the SKB). It is a bit more expensive but this handling advantage makes it worth it (IMHO) every day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    The main point for me is the unique easy access to the guitar. I often play very small stages and rehearsal rooms and it's much easier to pull the guitar from the case standing up than finding a spot to lay down a more traditional case.
    I agree. But a word of caution is in order: look up before pulling your guitar out of a top loaded case. There’s a lot of stuff to hit between you and the ceiling over many stages / performance areas. I’ve whacked the headstocks of several guitars on the free ends of mic booms (always the ones over the drums!), stage lights, trapeze supports for flying speakers, etc.

There are many hazards for guitars on stage, from frame mounted drum kits to music stands to keyboard ends. Amazingly, I’ve only picked up a few marks in decades, but they’re inevitably on better instruments - my Epi LP remains free of blemishes despite 25 years of heavy use and abuse in dives around the country. Be careful!

User Info Menu

Ended up going over my original $150 budget by $100 and got the Mono Vertigo. Feels robust for that style bag. I very much like the top loading concept of the Vertigo.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by curbucci
    Ended up going over my original $150 budget by $100 and got the Mono Vertigo. Feels robust for that style bag. I very much like the top loading concept of the Vertigo.
    Mono make first rate cases.