Posts 151 to 169 of 169

User Info Menu

I thought I was the only one into that!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I thought I was the only one into that!
    Not so...

Why So Many Medieval Manuscripts Depict Butt Trumpets?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Seems slightly less uncomfortable than a corncob.

Speaking of George Benson....-794dacf7-6b74-40fb-bb8c-a5b7f9a2c51c-jpeg

User Info Menu

I guess there is nothing more to be said about George Benson and the thread has now reached bottom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zdub
    I guess there is nothing more to be said about George Benson and the thread has now reached bottom.
    I see what you did there.

User Info Menu

Innuendo, no doubt.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Perhaps the genesis of the phrase, "Blow it out your...."?

Maybe a chicken/egg situation?

A Newtonian dichotomy? [My early visual art for awhile had this subtext, made sometimes explicit: Love/Truth/Beauty counterposed to Lust/Smut/Filth]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Innuendo, no doubt.
    Isn't that an Italian suppository?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Reminds of "How do Italians describe where Canada is located?"

Uppa U S

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vernon
    Back in 1974, I heard George Benson play at the old Jazz Showcase on Rush Street in Chicago. He played really well. That was before he started singing. After that, I didn’t pay attention to him.

This brings me to one of my secret pet peeves. Listening to a new jazz album by an instrumentalist, and suddenly, an unwanted vocalist appears as if out of nowhere. Always a bummer for me… but I am a radical instrumental music purist.
    Me and Friend were at that show. I think we were the only white guys in the place. We were treated like kings! Given a table front and center maybe 6 ft. from the man. I'll never forget.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Innuendo, no doubt.
    More like out the door than innuendo.

User Info Menu

First innuendo
    then out the door

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PDinAZ
    Me and Friend were at that show. I think we were the only white guys in the place. We were treated like kings! Given a table front and center maybe 6 ft. from the man. I'll never forget.

User Info Menu

Let Mr. Benson and Ron Carter do the talking about body parts...with this amazing performance of "Body Talk".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PDinAZ
    Hi, P,
    Only white guys in the place? I went to the Jazz Showcase every week during the 70's(unless we were playing out of town) and I was at Benson's show. The location on Rush Street was in the heart of the Disco/Restaurant District where the vast majority of people were upwardly mobile, young White Near North siders and suburbanites looking for love and fun in the door-to-door taverns and clubs. So, for the record, I never went to a Jazz Showcase concert that didn't have a mixed crowd. The last concert I attended was Joey D'Francesco's in 2018, or thereabouts before I moved out of state. And, in those earlier years, we also went to the shows/jam sessions at "Cadillac Bob's Toast of the Town" and the "Enterprise Lounge(Von Freeman)" which were in exclusively Black neighborhoods on the South Side where there was also a mixed crowd--usually other musicians. Just curious, P . . . . why would you be treated differently than any other person at the show. Joe Segal, the owner, was, in most cases, equally rude to everyone unless he knew you were a player.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Hi, P,
    Only white guys in the place? I went to the Jazz Showcase every week during the 70's(unless we were playing out of town) and I was at Benson's show. The location on Rush Street was in the heart of the Disco/Restaurant District where the vast majority of people were upwardly mobile, young White Near North siders and suburbanites looking for love and fun in the door-to-door taverns and clubs. So, for the record, I never went to a Jazz Showcase concert that didn't have a mixed crowd. The last concert I attended was Joey D'Francesco's in 2018, or thereabouts before I moved out of state. And, in those earlier years, we also went to the shows/jam sessions at "Cadillac Bob's Toast of the Town" and the "Enterprise Lounge(Von Freeman)" which were in exclusively Black neighborhoods on the South Side where there was also a mixed crowd--usually other musicians. Just curious, P . . . . why would you be treated differently than any other person at the show. Joe Segal, the owner, was, in most cases, equally rude to everyone unless he knew you were a player.
    Marinero
    I have fond memories of going to the Jazz Showcase on Rush in the 70s. I was in high school, so I wasn't able to attend many shows. Most notably Joe Pass, Ray Brown and a young Pat Metheny. I lived in the neighborhood, so it was cool to be able to walk to the show and walk home. No "El" ride necessary.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    I have fond memories of going to the Jazz Showcase on Rush in the 70s. I was in high school, so I wasn't able to attend many shows. Most notably Joe Pass, Ray Brown and a young Pat Metheny. I lived in the neighborhood, so it was cool to be able to walk to the show and walk home. No "El" ride necessary.
    I lived in Chicagoland for a rew years in the 70's and made it to a few shows at the Jazz Showcase. My first show there was seeing Milt Jackson in 73 or 74. I can still see and hear Bags bent over the vibes delivering a sublime solo with blue notes being inserted in all the right places. And I can still taste the deep dish pizza at Pizzeria Due also on Rush street......

User Info Menu

" And I can still taste the deep dish pizza at Pizzeria Due also on Rush street......" Stringswinger

Hi, S,
    Everyone I knew went to Giordano's when I was in Chi but I see they've been there since 1943 as the first "original" deep dish pizza.
    Marinero

User Info Menu

I lived in Chicagoland for a rew years in the 70's and made it to a few shows at the Jazz Showcase. My first show there was seeing Milt Jackson in 73 or 74. I can still see and hear Bags bent over the vibes delivering a sublime solo with blue notes being inserted in all the right places. And I can still taste the deep dish pizza at Pizzeria Due also on Rush street......
    Hi, S,
    Do you remember Big Mike's at North and Wells(Old Town)? I played there frequently as a sax/trumpet duo who accompanied some of the top R@B/Soul groups in the early 70's when they had scantily clad "Shake Dancers who accompanied the music. I often wondered . . . if that place could talk . . .
    Marinero