The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 169

User Info Menu

Billies Bounce has been mentioned, but I don’t think anyone posted it, so here it is - wonderful playing by GB:

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Billies Bounce has been mentioned, but I don’t think anyone posted it, so here it is - wonderful playing by GB:

With Ron Carter on bass, Herbie on piano, Billy Cobham on drums and Johnny Pacheco on conga...wow what a backup band.

Great playing by all--Love the arrangement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Yep, this thread got a much needed haircut to be sure!
    I know, but don’t you think those thoughts were extreme?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Dang, hair sure grows back fast around here ...

User Info Menu

Extremely bizarre.

User Info Menu

I've seen Benson several times over about 40 years. I've never seen anyone with his stage presence, he just glows. And he plays and sings so seemingly effortlessly. He's on my shortlist of favorites.

User Info Menu

Watching the GB guitars video…. I didn’t know he was billed as ‘Little Georgie Benson” as a little tyke. Understand the LGB 30/300 and how he wistfully talks about naming them that.
    neat!
    jk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I've seen Benson several times over about 40 years. I've never seen anyone with his stage presence, he just glows. And he plays and sings so seemingly effortlessly. He's on my shortlist of favorites.
    Lots of love for Benson, here. The musical kind!

User Info Menu

LOL. Don't start that agin!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    LOL. Don't start that agin!
    Admiration, admiration!

I was honored to be present at Pat Martino’s Starbright recording session one night. He was urging his manager to get Stevie Wonder to do a track on his album. This was mainly because Benson was coming out with a new album that would be Breezing.
    So I guess Pat was looking for that main stream appeal as well. We know which album won out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep

Wes had a glow as well. I was lucky enough to hear him 6 nights running at the Jazz Workshop in Boston, where I got to know him a bit. His stage presence was enormous, like Benson's, who I also met at the Jazz Workshop with Earl Klugh.

This is from 1979. Notice "Gibson" blacked out on the headstock. I think the GB10 was introduced around '77(?) after "Breezin." Maybe an old photo they used.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    No one is being forced to buy these things. Plus, they keep George in champagne and ladies.
    And his cosmetic surgeries.

User Info Menu

No need to slip, slide or fall...
    When you say George Benson,
    You've said it All.

George Benson THE MAESTRO

User Info Menu

Dissing Wes should be an excommunicable offense around here, IMO.....

User Info Menu

Whatever happened to the member who merely suggested the possibility of criticising Joe Pass?

User Info Menu

Whatever happened to the member who merely suggested the possibility of criticising Joe Pass?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    He has been dealt with.

Speaking of George Benson....-67fcfd00-cfb4-4213-b6d4-49747531c530-jpeg

User Info Menu

GB with Tony Williams and Jan Hammer, recorded in 1978:

User Info Menu

I tell you I didn't agree with the posters conclusions and reasons for them, but I would fight for his right to say them. I personally didn't think the post needed to be censored. As long as they are non threatening, I think we all have to be tolerant of everyone's opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbernstein91
    GB with Tony Williams and Jan Hammer, recorded in 1978:

I have not heard that. Nice to hear George playing a bit out of the mainstream, though there are fair amounts of his 70’s work that would qualify as fusion.

I wish George had continued on in this vein in the 80’s instead of pursuing his more lucrative “urban” records. Though he definitely would not have been able to buy as many shoes for his 7 kids if he had.

Note to self: more vinyl to look for…

User Info Menu

Hi sgcim:
    Can you cite that interview? I can cite the "poppin and burnin" one, because it's on that album.”
    First off, no guarantees come with my memory anymore, I could be way off base. And of course Tal never said a bad word about anyone when we were kicking around. (Strongest statement I would hear in the slow southern drawl was “well… he’s not really a player, is he? “. But surely not used on a pro.)
    The book I am remembering had a black cover. It sits with most of our worldly goods in a Pod somewhere in Northern VA. Plan now is it gets opened mid January, so sometime after that.
    Thus the jk vs cg showdown awaits us

User Info Menu

It’s quoted in the book ‘Wes Montgomery’ by Adrian Ingram:

Speaking of George Benson....-0d0536f1-293f-4a36-b509-8d60894a548b-jpeg

Speaking of George Benson....-884d05b1-fe1c-4445-919c-6497194499de-jpeg

User Info Menu

Nothing against Tal but I didn't hear him until after I'd heard everyone else. I'd seen a lot of them too (except Wes).

My first impression of Tal was that he sounded like a sloppy Joe Pass. (that sounds like a sandwich).

Anyway, I was a baby boomer fan (Benson, Martino, Coryell, McLaughlin, Metheny, Holdsworth, etc.) So when it came to the "greatest generation" of players I just stuck with Joe, Wes, Jim Hall. I had the same experience hearing Parker after listening to a lot of Trane and Cannonball. I thought "what's the big deal?"

Of course that's not really fair to go backwards like that, it diminishes the contributions of the trend setters in the proper historical context. Oh well.