The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 169

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome Dome
    As a relative newbie to trying to play jazz, I lack the knowledge to declare someone the "best" or "greatest". I love what I've heard by George, Wes, Grant Green, Kessel, Martino, Pass and countless others.

What fascinates me is that with many of these players, I listen and am amazed at the jaw-dropping timing, note choice, groove, swing, drive etc. that I hear in their music.

What makes George Benson unique, at least to me, is that he does all this and consistently leaves me grinning from ear to ear as well. There's just something so joyous in his playing that is utterly infectious and positive. I can't really explain it (and I suppose I'm talking about the earlier albums like "Cookbook" or the CTS records as that's what I have) but it's quite special and something that he seems to do way more than anyone else.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chrome Dome
    As a relative newbie to trying to play jazz, I lack the knowledge to declare someone the "best" or "greatest". I love what I've heard by George, Wes, Grant Green, Kessel, Martino, Pass and countless others.

What fascinates me is that with many of these players, I listen and am amazed at the jaw-dropping timing, note choice, groove, swing, drive etc. that I hear in their music.

What makes George Benson unique, at least to me, is that he does all this and consistently leaves me grinning from ear to ear as well. There's just something so joyous in his playing that is utterly infectious and positive. I can't really explain it (and I suppose I'm talking about the earlier albums like "Cookbook" or the CTS records as that's what I have) but it's quite special and something that he seems to do way more than anyone else.
    I agree—George is the consummate entertainer. I can’t imagine anyone with ears going to one of his concerts, especially in his prime, not being completely overwhelmed at his talent and his skill at conveying the joy of music.

Listen to Weekend in LA…great record.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    Little Georgie Benson was singing on the street as a youngster, and if I recall from his autobiography also in clubs before he had a record contract.
    According to a recent interview by John McLaughlin, Benson's first record deal came about as a singer not a guitarist. The record company was not interested in doing an instrumental album with George because they didn't like his guitar sound (!). That's why he sang on his first record under his own name. It wasn't necessarily where George wanted to go, but it worked out for him. How accurate McLaughlin is on this, I can't say.

User Info Menu

It wouldn't surprise me. He'd been a singer since he was a kid.

Obviously This Masquerade was a game changer for him though. His singing career was under the radar prior to that, but he was quite popular as a guitarist ("popular" in the jazz sense, that is).

I also understand the above comment about him being too mellow. While not exactly accurate, it is true that many studio recordings are more.... controlled, because they are a product for sale and need to be tidy and possess high quality, and will stand for all time.

But live playing? Players tend to let their hair down much more when playing live, as that clip of Take Five at the 1986 Montreux Jazz Festival clearly demonstrates.

User Info Menu

George Benson has something that very few have. Along with his mega talant, he has a huge stage presence. He has Star power! It's really what has lead him to such a great career.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    George Benson has something that very few have. Along with his mega talant, he has a huge stage presence. He has Star power! It's really what has lead him to such a great career.
    And he can skate like a MF!

User Info Menu

Benson is great. Great playing, great tone, great singing and great music.
    He's an inspiration. That's all I have to say about that.

I especially like to play this one (written by Jimmy Smith, made to perfection by George). Give it a try!

User Info Menu

Let me just add one thing…GB is clearly the best looking guitarist (male) ever to play jazz guitar (though John McLaughlin wasn’t too shabby looking either back in the day). Or maybe guitar in any genre.

Most guitarists play guitar cause they can’t sing, and the only way they can attract a lady is by strapping a large phallic instrument onto their bodies. You’ve got the Nordic god out front, and the guitar guy in the shadows smoking and strumming and looking creepy with his guitar slung crotch high.

Of course jazz guys are different. There is a certain earnest nerdiness to their image, which does appeal to the librarian set. Not putting down Barney Kessel or Joe Pass, you know, but GB is on a different level.

He might have swung pretty hard back in the day, but he has been married to the same lady since 1962, and has 7 children. (I guess she Gave Him the Night quite often over the years.) And never succumbed to drug or alcohol abuse. Which is also unusual for a guitarist.

User Info Menu

Interesting quote from someone you may have heard of:

yes, george has come to see me play - and yes, i was stunned. he is one of the greatest musicians to ever address the guitar as a serious jazz instrument - and he certainly is one of the major forces in the evolution of what is possible to do with the ax. his sound, his tone, the way that he plays with the drums are all just fantastic. he is someone that i always make a point of going to hear if we are on the same festival or something. besides all that, i know there are people who moan about the fact that he sings so much - but, i love his singing almost as much or more than i love his guitar playing. i guess, you can see - i am a big fan. as far as playing together goes - i think i would just let him have it, and go off to the audience and enjoy the master - then go home and practice picking all night long!

Pat Metheny (Pat Metheny : Question & Answer)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    And he can skate like a MF!

Never saw this - amazing, he has always looked athletic, but I’d be picking myself up after 10 seconds of skating backwards, let alone risking my GB10 in the process! How does one find time to learn to skate like that in a life time of gigging, recording and touring? Pat Metheny was a runner throughout his touring career to stay sane, other famous players took up knitting or meditation while on tour…. Benson just plain rules!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vernon
    Back in 1974, I heard George Benson play at the old Jazz Showcase on Rush Street in Chicago. He played really well. That was before he started singing. After that, I didn’t pay attention to him.

This brings me to one of my secret pet peeves. Listening to a new jazz album by an instrumentalist, and suddenly, an unwanted vocalist appears as if out of nowhere. Always a bummer for me… but I am a radical instrumental music purist.
    In Jazz the voice is also an instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    In Jazz the voice is also an instrument.
    Skip ahead to 11:15 here:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Surely not better looking than Sasha Distel, or Baden Powell?
    I have not heard of these people. Can they roller skate also?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I have not heard of these people. Can they roller skate also?
    Sasha Distel was a French crooner, who could play reasonably well:

Baden Powell was a guitar genius:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Sasha Distel was a French crooner, who could play reasonably well:

Baden Powell was a guitar genius:

Both nice clips. I am really digging that Sasha Distel piece AND the guitar. BTW, my cat is named Sasha. She is a grey tabby.

I would say Sasha was very good-looking and had a good career and a lot of luck with the ladies. He dated Bridgit Bardotte and Dione Warwick, not too shabby.

Baden Powell wrote Samba Triste--I did not know that. Will have to explore his recordings some more.

User Info Menu

George playing Impressions

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Please, let's get back to George the GREAT jazz musician!
    You bet!

How about that Casa Caribe bootleg thing that’s been around for ages, it’s basically George playing standards:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    You bet!

How about that Casa Caribe bootleg thing that’s been around for ages, it’s basically George playing standards:

The version of "Oleo" on this record is some of the most burning guitar playing I've ever heard.

User Info Menu

If you haven't already seen it, this history of GB's guitars is well done (apropos to another thread, shows him with a Les Paul when playing with Jack McDuff):

User Info Menu

George Benson is an outstanding musician. Period. Personally, I'm not a fan of his Jazz style since it is too busy--the same reason I don't listen to Pat Martino, Bruce Forman . . . however, this does not discredit, for me, his considerable talent. So, a few givens:
    1. An artist is judged by his work. Period. He has devoted his life to music performance.
    2. George survived the death of Jazz/live music in the late 70's/early 80's and made millions playing pop music which resulted in much jealousy among many members of the Jazz community for his success. When I lived in Chicago during that time, and later, he was not played on any of the Jazz stations and he was frequently called a "sellout."
    3. He has played with most of the "greats" throughout his life and should be remembered for his prodigious contributions to Jazz and
    Pop music and as a creative musician.
    Play live . . . Marinero

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    2. George survived the death of Jazz/live music in the late 70's/early 80's and made millions playing pop music which resulted in much jealousy among many members of the Jazz community for his success. When I lived in Chicago during that time, and later, he was not played on any of the Jazz stations and he was frequently called a "sellout."
    They said the same thing about Wes for stuff like this. Dig the outfit. I don't see any chord or mic, looks like he's "finger-synching" to the recording.

User Info Menu

Another nice Benson track:

User Info Menu

Thanks Dirk.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Thanks Dirk.....
    Yep, this thread got a much needed haircut to be sure!

User Info Menu

yes thanks Dirk!

(Not sure why my post with the list of GB good things got cut. Collateral damage?!)