Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Well, just a couple of weeks after posting a WTB in the For Sale section, this showed up. It ain’t easy to find one of these. There are a couple on Reverb which, for various reasons, did not appeal. That’s where Hammertone and Floatingpickup both came to my aid by directing me to the good folks at 12th Fret, in Toronto. They were easy to work with, and the guitar was accurately described, well packed, and arrived pretty quickly, all things considered.
    Huge neck on this one, re-fretted as well. Aside from one replaced tuner, tone knob and pot, everything else is original to the guitar. Price was right as well.
    Seeing as I’m more of a player than collector, I’m contemplating moving my L5CES on. It was always a toss up between these two, and now I have both in the house, the 350 will be the one I reach for most often. Thanks for looking.



    Last edited by telephone; 09-28-2021 at 09:31 PM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Tied for my favorite burst finish

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Whew…..that’s a beauty. Congrats!

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Nice! May she inspire your playing for many years to come.

    Do advertise the L-5 here and hopefully keep it in the jazz guitar forum family.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Lovely shape to those plates.
    Beautiful finish.
    Well done!

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    It is a beauty but letting an L5 go that I have to question. Wish it were a one pickup Wes would that interest me. The guitar though looks fantastic the nice sunburst and good curly maple too. You did well!

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Very nice. Congratulations!
    I really like the looks, and I bet it sounds awesome.
    Gibson has sure made some fantastic guitars. And those old P90's are amazing.
    Easy to love a classic like this one! Enjoy.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    What a beautiful instrument. Congratulations!

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Beautiful guitar, congrats! My roommate back in the day when I was at Berklee had the exact same guitar. I had a 1956 ES-175 at the time.

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Now THAT is the poo!

    Just gorgeous. The maple on the top is dandy.

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by telephone
    Well, just a couple of weeks after posting a WTB in the For Sale section, this showed up. It ain’t easy to find one of these. There are a couple on Reverb which, for various reasons, did not appeal. That’s where Hammertone and Floatingpickup both came to my aid by directing me to the good folks at 12th Fret, in Toronto. They were easy to work with, and the guitar was accurately described, well packed, and arrived pretty quickly, all things considered.
    Huge neck on this one, re-fretted as well. Aside from one replaced tuner, tone knob and pot, everything else is original to the guitar. Price was right as well.
    Seeing as I’m more of a player than collector, I’m contemplating moving my L5CES on. It was always a toss up between these two, and now I have both in the house, the 350 will be the one I reach for most often. Thanks for looking.
    telephone:
    I have been anxiously awaiting an update on the new guitar. I’m so happy to hear that it met your expectations. I was watching that one on 12th Fret’s website for a while and when you posted your, WTB ad, I thought you should take a serious look at it. The guys at 12th Fret are really good to deal with and I was fairly certain there wouldn’t be any surprises. Enjoy the guitar. It looks fantastic.
    Keith

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Nice one, and Hammertone will be along shortly to give you the correct single ring Kluson tuner to replace the double ring replacement on there now.
    Well, one can hope can't one?

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    telephone:
    I have been anxiously awaiting an update on the new guitar. I’m so happy to hear that it met your expectations. I was watching that one on 12th Fret’s website for a while and when you posted your, WTB ad, I thought you should take a serious look at it. The guys at 12th Fret are really good to deal with and I was fairly certain there wouldn’t be any surprises. Enjoy the guitar. It looks fantastic.
    Keith
    Thanks, man! And thanks to everyone else for the well wishes!

    For decades I’ve had the hots for both the L5CES and the ES-350. I could keep both, but now I know the L5 won’t see as much play time as the 350, and I can’t justify having both if one will end up sitting. The L5 is a fantastic instrument, but sonically it’s not exactly what I’m after. I kind of needed to have both in hand to come to this conclusion. I’ll give it a little time before I put it up for sale just to be sure.

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Nice one, and Hammertone will be along shortly to give you the correct tuner to replace the double ring replacement on there now.
    Well, one can hope can't one?
    Yeah, one can hope…
    I wouldn’t mind finding a correct knob either. If anyone has an extra they’d like to part with, lemme know.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by telephone
    Yeah, one can hope…
    I wouldn’t mind finding a correct knob either. If anyone has an extra they’d like to part with, lemme know.
    Just about anything you need is on Reverb or the bay but it'll cost ya...

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    That's as good as a jazz guitar gets.

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    The Holy Grail bop guitar right there. A big Congrats !

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Wonderful instrument. Congrats!

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Congrats! It's a wonderful guitar and I'm sure those P90s are killer! At this point we're all curious and would like to see the poor L-5 that got dethroned ;D

    Ont thing tho: letting go of really good gear that would not be a snap to replace is always delicate. If you have the money and the room to keep both, give yourself the time of a thorough reflection. But of course, I see and respect your point!

    All the best, and enjoy that beauty!

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Congrats, beautiful guitar!
    Memories of Tal Farlow come to mind...

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Dammit!.. meant to go to Toronto to check this one out! Congrats!
    I'd be very curious to hear comparisons with your L-5 now...

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by telephone
    Well, just a couple of weeks after posting a WTB in the For Sale section, this showed up. It ain’t easy to find one of these. There are a couple on Reverb which, for various reasons, did not appeal. That’s where Hammertone and Floatingpickup both came to my aid by directing me to the good folks at 12th Fret, in Toronto. They were easy to work with, and the guitar was accurately described, well packed, and arrived pretty quickly, all things considered.
    Huge neck on this one, re-fretted as well. Aside from one replaced tuner, tone knob and pot, everything else is original to the guitar. Price was right as well.
    Seeing as I’m more of a player than collector, I’m contemplating moving my L5CES on. It was always a toss up between these two, and now I have both in the house, the 350 will be the one I reach for most often. Thanks for looking.
    Congrats. A beautiful guitar for sure. The ES 350 is a bop monster. Below my blonde 1952 in action!

    DB


  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Gab A.B.
    Dammit!.. meant to go to Toronto to check this one out! Congrats!
    I'd be very curious to hear comparisons with your L-5 now...

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Congratulations on scoring a real jazz classic, and play it in good health!

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Congrats. A beautiful guitar for sure. The ES 350 is a bop monster. Below my blonde 1952 in action!

    DB

    Thanks, man! Seeing your videos didn’t help ease my yearning for one. I always enjoy hearing you play.