The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not technically a New Amps Day, but I decided to get my Harry Kolbe-modded silver Fenders back in use. I had my 2 Deluxes, a Princeton and a Champ gone over by Andy Fuchs after spending a number of years in storage. So far so good, except for a channel switching 'pop in one Deluxe ' that originates in in the 'goop' section of Harry's secret circuitry....

Anyone else here using Kolbe-modded amps? Anyone work on them? Let's share what we know about keeping these great sounding amps in working order

PK

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut
    Not technically a New Amps Day, but I decided to get my Harry Kolbe-modded silver Fenders back in use. I had my 2 Deluxes, a Princeton and a Champ gone over by Andy Fuchs after spending a number of years in storage. So far so good, except for a channel switching 'pop in one Deluxe ' that originates in in the 'goop' section of Harry's secret circuitry....

Anyone else here using Kolbe-modded amps? Anyone work on them? Let's share what we know about keeping these great sounding amps in working order

PK
    I used to live a few blocks from Kolbe's shop and brought all my tube stuff to him for many years. I had him install a master volume on a brownface Fender Pro I had, but no mods more extensive than that. I recall him explaining what he typically did, and it amounted to building an entirely new amp in the same chassis. I did toy with the idea, but never went through with it. I subsequently I had the Pro returned to stock because there's no real point to a master volume in that amp (which I eventually figured out). I don't think Kolbe's in business anymore. A guy named Eric Bradley who used to work for Kolbe is still around in NYC (I think; haven't had any work done by him in few years). He would probably know best what's under the goop.

Thanks! I had heard that Eric was at 30th St a while ago, but I lost track of him after that . Good to know he's got his own shop!

PK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by paulkogut
    Thanks! I had heard that Eric was at 30th St a while ago, but I lost track of him after that . Good to know he's got his own shop!

PK
    The last time I dealt with him he was working for/out of Guitar Center, but reachable through private contact info (you can PM me for details)