The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 66 of 66

User Info Menu

Indeed, it sounds great to me. It’s just that I’ve seen comments saying it was one of the least liked of the GB guitars - a statement I find incredulous. To my mind, the AF2000 is getting close to being the same guitar, and I was happy to shell out my money for it. But I’ll know better in a few days’ time. Your own GB200 is gorgeous!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    I was quite surprised by the positive (to MY ears) effect of clamping down the 2 prongs of the tailpiece : before this (with the shallow break-angle of the strings over the bridge) the tone had a somewhat nasal quality , most apparent when played unplugged. Tightening it down all the way did NOT increase the high end as I had thought it would but resulted in an increase in sustain and this nasal part disappeared almost completely. Not going back.
    Despite having had my GB10 for 35 years now, I have never played around much with the tailpiece other than as a way to make some minor adjustment in the string feel. I probably haven't adjusted those screws in 20 years. So yesterday I tried cranking down the movable string anchors and, lo and behold, the tone does indeed change. I think what happens is that as the break angle over the bridge gets more acute, overtones are reduced and the fundamental becomes more prominent. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. Thanks for mentioning this!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Despite having had my GB10 for 35 years now, I have never played around much with the tailpiece other than as a way to make some minor adjustment in the string feel. I probably haven't adjusted those screws in 20 years. So yesterday I tried cranking down the movable string anchors and, lo and behold, the tone does indeed change. I think what happens is that as the break angle over the bridge gets more acute, overtones are reduced and the fundamental becomes more prominent. I'm liking what I'm hearing so far. Thanks for mentioning this!
    Interesting. Have loved my GB10 (2002) since I got it and yes, it can be bright, but so easy to dial it to a warmer classic tone. Almost hate to mess with the tailpiece, as it plays and sounds so good. If they just made a 16 or 17” version of the standard GB10, cutaway, neck and all, I would likely not need another arch top. Rob, have fun with your new guitar, but if it doesn’t blow your skirt up, a Japanese GB10 just might!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    Interesting. Have loved my GB10 (2002) since I got it and yes, it can be bright, but so easy to dial it to a warmer classic tone. Almost hate to mess with the tailpiece, as it plays and sounds so good. If they just made a 16 or 17” version of the standard GB10, cutaway, neck and all, I would likely not need another arch top. Rob, have fun with your new guitar, but if it doesn’t blow your skirt up, a Japanese GB10 just might!
    The late 70's GB20 came close to the guitar you describe. However, it had a single floating pickup, but otherwise very similar design to the GB10. Add a second floating pickup and the design would be complete...as well as a fatter/thicker jazz tone.

GB20 specs: Body size at lower bout: 16 3/4" Body depth: 3" Scale length: 24 3/4" Nut Width: 1 11/16"

I think Big Mike has a photo of one of Benson's buddies playing a dual pickup GB20, likely an Ibanez one-off. Maybe he'll spot this thread and post it.

User Info Menu

My AF2000 is scheduled to arrive today, but at a fairly unpropitious time: I accidentally bashed my left-hand index finger, and pressing down with it is very painful; I have done something bad with my right arm, maybe sleeping in a bad position, requiring ibuprofen gel and paracetamol pills every four hours; and having not used an amp since moving here a year ago, I can’t find its power cable, so will have to order one!

So…I’ll do what I can with the guitar, and hopefully be able to give a proper review in a week or two.

User Info Menu

Wish you a quick recovery, Rob !

User Info Menu

I'll be fine, thanks. I just have to be patient.

User Info Menu

Rob - Sorry to hear of your plight, and hope you find relief soon. Please take care of those fingers, hands, and arms that we all benefit from so much in all of your recordings!

User Info Menu

Thanks, but that involves not being stupid, and I can't promise that!

User Info Menu

Aw Rob, and that happens next to the NGD?
    Really sorry to hear, be a patient patient)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    My AF2000 is scheduled to arrive today, but at a fairly unpropitious time: I accidentally bashed my left-hand index finger, and pressing down with it is very painful; I have done something bad with my right arm, maybe sleeping in a bad position, requiring ibuprofen gel and paracetamol pills every four hours; and having not used an amp since moving here a year ago, I can’t find its power cable, so will have to order one!

So…I’ll do what I can with the guitar, and hopefully be able to give a proper review in a week or two.
    I've been getting good results with topical Voltaren 1% gel. I hope you have a swift recovery!

User Info Menu

Well, the AF2000 arrived safely. It's a beautiful guitar to look at, but it also feels great too. Perfect neck - can't imagine a better one. I replaced the strings with TI flats 12s - as heavy as I dare go at the moment. The stock strings are 11s, but I see people claiming this and others like it really sing with 14s. As an electric guitar with flats, the acoustic sound is actually not bad at all. But I couldn't play for long. I even had to postpone my teaching, just not feeling up to it.

I'll give it a proper NGD in a week or two, but first impressions are very favourable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Well, the AF2000 arrived safely. It's a beautiful guitar to look at, but it also feels great too. Perfect neck - can't imagine a better one. I replaced the strings with TI flats 12s - as heavy as I dare go at the moment. The stock strings are 11s, but I see people claiming this and others like it really sing with 14s. As an electric guitar with flats, the acoustic sound is actually not bad at all. But I couldn't play for long. I even had to postpone my teaching, just not feeling up to it.

I'll give it a proper NGD in a week or two, but first impressions are very favourable.
    Rob. I."ve had a GB200, which I hated, heavy and with an inferior tone for me ,recently I acquired the AF200 ,vastly superior IMO
    which I'm sure you will prefer.

User Info Menu

Cheers, Alan. Everyone's different. I've been playing it unplugged, and really enjoying it! Hopefully I'll get it plugged in soon, and if that passes the test, I'll be very happy.

User Info Menu

Hi Rob, hope you're well again soon. I happen to have a GB10 and GB200 which - apart from decoration – looks very similar to your AF200. Both are wonderful guitars that can be bright or warm depending on the EQ. I wouldn't say one is better than the other – they are .. different. With the fullsize body and built-in humbuckers the 200 is indeed the more traditional model – closer to an ES175 (laminated woods) or even an L5 (spruce top) than the very unique and agile GB10.
    But warm tones can be made with each – get the right strings, pick and amp setting and you'll be happy.

Edit: With the GB200 I had a problem with the pickups rattling in their frames when playing unplugged. Putting surgical tubing over the screws that hold the pickups inside the frames solved that.

User Info Menu

It’s the 2000 I have, though I doubt it is ten times better than the 200! It’s very good, though, though I’ve still to plug it in! New power cable arriving early this week.