The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 66

User Info Menu

Just hold on. I sell you mine

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, I told you my budget, and this is only £75 over. It could have been new or used. I like breaking in a new guitar myself sometimes.

User Info Menu

The GB200, hands down. Why? It’s got 3 1/4 inch depth.

User Info Menu

The GB200 is not universally loved, I’ve been led to believe. But some do. The AF2000 is not exactly the same, so I’ll make my own mind up. Looking forward to it!

User Info Menu

I think you'll be happy, I love my AF-200. It sounds great and the neck is a joy to play.

User Info Menu

Cheers, Jim. Very similar guitars.

User Info Menu

Rob kudos and enjoy!!!

Had a GB10. I never could get to sound like anything but a small body floating pickup guitar. Sold.

My AF200 is my go to #1 for quite for sound plus comfy playing. IF i could ever get back to playing out its first call.Any questions please let me know!

The AF200 can be sensitive to its pickups as they are not 3.25” but a bit narrow. Makes it comfy as can be to play. The stock MIJs are a bit hot, i tried several and a Fralin Modern PAF really mellowed her out. im sure over there you have nice low output sweeties to try. TI JS with 14/17 on top, the upper register sings.

The current model IMHO thats darkest and most trad jazz sounding is the LGB300 (had the LGB30 too bright, Sold it.). So the ‘other woman/home wrecker’ the LGB300 ‘fell’ into my lap a month or so ago. We are becoming quite serious and we building a ménage a trois with me and the AF200). I got the impression from his interviews GB wanted the GB line to have a perfect reminder of his earliest guitars. The LGB300 sure seems like a 175.
    But expensive. My current Ibanez corral:
    LGB300; AF200; PM200 (all ‘seconds’ as they were show guitars)
    AF95FM, AG75, AF151

Again Rob good choice i think you’ll love it!

jk

still interned and being held by the Virginia Medical Center

User Info Menu

Hey, jk, I hope the docs release you soon, so you can get back to all those great guitars! Hospital staff are never too keen with menages of any kind, sadly!

Yes, the LGB300 is expensive, beyond my means, but I’ve heard it’s a great guitar. As for replacement pups, that’s the last thing on my mind at the moment, but I’m aware of alternatives if needed. The Super 58s are not renown for being hot if lowered away from the strings, so that would be something to play with before experimenting with others. Mind you, I’m a great fan of The Creamery CC pickup…
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 09-30-2021 at 05:49 AM.

User Info Menu

ABSOLUTELY
    The two examples that I bought this year cost me $2200 that’s the one that 2B has and $2000 and they both look like they’re brand new.

what’s not to like ??

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop

User Info Menu

This one is kinda fugly.

User Info Menu

Not my flavour…

User Info Menu

ugh
    What is that “pistachio” ??
    gross

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    This one is kinda fugly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I really like what I’ve seen and heard of the GB200, 2B, but I couldn’t easily find one at the moment. However, the AF2000 has a 3 3/4” body depth with a 16 1/2” width, bringing it closer to the GB200. If it’s as good, I’d be delighted. It might even have a deeper, fatter sound…

Interestingly the AF2000 has a toasted insert in the neck, which they claim helps it feel like an old neck. As most people praise the AF and GB necks I’m a little concerned they’ve done something new, but it could be a positive change, so I’ll keep my mind open. My left hand is getting tired these days, so a smooth, easy neck will be a welcome thing.

User Info Menu

The AF2000 also has a spruce top and anigre back and sides. What is anigre? This from a tonewood vendor:

=====
    Anigre
    Botanical Name: (Aningeria altissima)
    Anigre looks like Butternut with a figure like curly maple,and sounds like the best Mahogany you have ever heard.Unwetted wood has a color very similar to maple. Bends readily no pores to fill. Finishes beautifully. A great tonewood.

About the wood: An African hardwood, Aningeria is most commonly called anigre or anegre. The wood is creamy in color, has a natural luster and a cedar-like scent. The heartwood is a yellow white, pale tan or pink brown. The wood darkens in color after exposure to light. It most often has a straight grain, but the grain can also appear to be wavy. Figured Anigre ranges from a fiddleback to a broader fiddleback or curly figure and also a block mottled look.

=======

“Sounds like the best mahogany you have ever heard”. We shall see! I’m very wary of such claims, but it does sound interesting.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    This one is kinda fugly.

A friend of mine has one of those. I think it looks nice in person, and he sounds really good on it (which is more him than the guitar, as usual)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    and he sounds really good on it (which is more him than the guitar, as usual)
    I guess that's what is important, I just could not stand looking at it.

User Info Menu

Having owned two 80's GB10's and also an early GB20 I can attest to the notion that these have an inherently bright sound which can be hard to "tame" - I've had some luck with an outboard EQ pedal.
    For 4 weeks now I'm the happy owner of a 2007 GB15 model and that is a keeper : I LOVE the easy playing neck and the 24 3/4" scale and this extra half inch in depth really DOES make a difference. This model has a warmer tone, a more mellow response and with a slight roll-off on both the volume and the tone pot I can make it thump and purr without any outboard gear. The pickup is not hotter than the p90/single coil Armstrong pup on my Trenier Jazz Special. It does sound more "electric" but that's cool, I like it that way.
    I was quite surprised by the positive (to MY ears) effect of clamping down the 2 prongs of the tailpiece : before this (with the shallow break-angle of the strings over the bridge) the tone had a somewhat nasal quality , most apparent when played unplugged. Tightening it down all the way did NOT increase the high end as I had thought it would but resulted in an increase in sustain and this nasal part disappeared almost completely. Not going back.
    I jumped on this offer because at that price I was sure to be able to flip it without a problem but now I like it so much that it will stay. Gigging with it tomorrow night !

User Info Menu

I'd not heard of the clamping prongs thing, gitman. Interesting.

User Info Menu

Clamping your prongs should not be undertaken lightly.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Those FG100 guitars are rare in the UK or Europe.
    I have one. It's a well built guitar in the vein of a 175. I changed the original pup though. There's a Classic 57 in neck position now. A subtle difference.

DB

User Info Menu

That sounds very good, DB. And your usual exemplary standard of playing!

Dutchbopper Guest
    That sounds very good, DB. And your usual exemplary standard of playing!
    Thanks Rob. And congrats on the new guitar. Do you like it?

DB

User Info Menu

Still waiting for it to arrive. As expected, Brexit screwed up everything!

User Info Menu

Still waiting for it to arrive. As expected, Brexit screwed up everything!
    You will be the first AF2000 owner I'm aware of. Looking forward to your initial and follow up review. Hopefully it arrives soon and in top condition.

User Info Menu

The GB200 is not universally loved, I’ve been led to believe. But some do. The AF2000 is not exactly the same, so I’ll make my own mind up. Looking forward to it!
    What’s not to love?