The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hi what Guitar is Al Defino playing, looks like L4 with floater.

What Gibson is this L-4?-al-defino-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images What Gibson is this L-4?-al-defino-jpg What Gibson is this L-4?-al-defino-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

L-4 c

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    L-4 c
    With several upgraded parts, I believe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    L-4 c
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    With several upgraded parts, I believe.
    As WS notes:

> The tuners are Grover Imperial "stairstep" units

> The pickup is statistically likely to be a Kent Armstrong thin-guy
    >> Recall that a vintage L-4C has the fingerboard extension glued flat, rather than flying above, the top

> There's a $1.00 snap-in cap on the pickguard filling a hole
    >> That means either Mr. DeFino ditched a tone pot or relocated his volume pot

> Mr. DeFino is sporting the Jazz Sweater of Doom
    >> The JSoD conveys major groove power on the wearer (but only at random moments)
    > In contrast, Mr. DeFino's gig-partner -- shown punching himself in the face -- wears the Leather Vest of Power
    >> The LVoP makes everything the operator plays sound like System of a Down
    Last edited by Sam Sherry; 09-28-2021 at 11:12 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    >> Recall that a vintage L-4C has the fingerboard extension glued flat, rather than flying above, the top
    Applies more to the L-4. L-4C usually has an elevated board.

>>> The LVoP makes everything the operator plays sound like Soad (System of a Down).
    Fixed it for you.

User Info Menu

> Mr. DeFino is sporting the Jazz Sweater of Doom
    I would be sweating my ass off in one of those on a gig, probably couldn't function.

User Info Menu

Ages and stages. Take enough blood thinners and you’ll be wearing that fine garment in July))).

jk

User Info Menu

Now if somebody could tell what is the guitar we see on the left and which clothes has the wearer...

User Info Menu

I don't know if it's been the same guitar, but he's pictured over the years with several versions of it.

Here's a 2019 shot of him on stage with what looks like his L4 but with oddly low pots in the top and what appears to be an intact guard.

What Gibson is this L-4?-al_defino_l4_onstage-jpg

Here's a 2018 shot from his Facebook page of what may be the same guitar next to an Eastman. The L4 has the same controls set into the top in an unusually low position, with filled holes in the guard:

What Gibson is this L-4?-al_defino_l4s-jpg

Here's a 2011 shot of him with both volume and tone controls on the guard:

What Gibson is this L-4?-al_defino-jpg

Here's a video of him with the same or a similar guitar with the lower knob missing from the shaft (only visible in a few views later in the video).

He obviously favored the L4 / 175 size and character, because he's pictured over the years with at least a few of each (in addition to other guitars).

User Info Menu

thanks all, sod the guitar i want a jersey like that, closest thing to that jersey ( called jumper in UK ) is the val Doonigan Christmas jumper a hideous piece of clothing if ever there was.

User Info Menu

Here's a 2018 shot from his Facebook page of what may be the same guitar next to an Eastman. The L4 has the same controls set into the top in an unusually low position, with filled holes in the guard:
    And several unfilled holes as well.