The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

Hello everyone.

This is a question for those who use a gig bag like a MONO case or a Reunion Blues case. You walk around with the instrument on your back like a giant backpack. The guitar gig bag has a couple of pockets but they're not very practical to use for anything other than small, guitar-only related things like picks, strings, clip-on tuner, maybe a cable or two.

How do you carry all the other stuff you need like folders, books, headphones, water bottle, and laptop with chargers etc.?
    The backpack I've always awkwardly hung on one shoulder for this is finally needing to be replaced and I'd like to find something more comfortable and convenient.
    Can anyone recommend a sling bag or shoulder bag that they like to use that would fit a 13" MacBook Pro? It would be nice if it could be worn over either shoulder and if it was also good for use when not carrying a guitar.

Thank you very much.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Not really what you're looking for, but I've been using one of these construction worker's gear bags for several years now, love it. What's great is I can fit my Rat stand AND Henriksen Bud in it. Guitar on back, gear bag in one hand, that's it. Even if I'm using a slighly larger amp like a Quilter combo, it's still guitar on back, amp in one hand, gear bag in the other.

Bucket Boss Gatemouth 20 Tool Bag

User Info Menu

The Mono, Reunion Blues and Fusion are the most popular choices but I recently found a small company that makes fantastic cases (i hace the solid body one) . They're called "music area". Better than my mono and cheaper as well. Also if you can get your hands on an Incase "the dub" or maybe other models as well that would solve your problems. (for solid body guitar at least)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gggguitar
    Can anyone recommend a sling bag or shoulder bag that they like to use that would fit a 13" MacBook Pro? It would be nice if it could be worn over either shoulder and if it was also good for use when not carrying a guitar.

Thank you very much.
    Funny -- I was just looking for bags like this last night! [I have cheap, soft-briefcase type bags for my cables, music, etc., and they're falling apart!]

Maybe something from Jansport? They have a few cool options ..

Gruvgear has a few, too.
    Last edited by marcwhy; 09-26-2021 at 09:57 AM. Reason: update

User Info Menu

I have a "gig bag" -something like this, it's got multiple pockets for different things. Honestly you don't need an expensive one, you could probably find some kind of "gym bag" at a sporting goods store that would work for you.

What bag do you use for everything else?-jpg

User Info Menu

I have two Summit gig bags and love them. The Summit system has a removable gear bag that clips to the front of the guitar bag and is usable on its own. Mine came with a separate, detachable shoulder strap for the gear bag. The shoulder straps are large and comfortable, and the guitar bags have multiple pockets and elastic straps that are very useful. I've been using mine for at least 20 years and they still look like new. I don't know if they're still in business, but I still see ads for them on the web, e.g. this one. Here's what it looks like:

If you can't find one of these, I also use lighting and DJ gear bags to carry my small amps and assorted gear like cords, computer, chargers, spares and accessories. Look at the Rockville and Chauvet lines for decent gear bags in many sizes at very fair prices compared to the high end stuff.

User Info Menu

I got this one a few years ago on sale with a smaller bag included. Watch for sales.

Husky 18 in. 18 Pocket Rolling Tool Bag-HD65018-TH - The Home Depot

User Info Menu

I use a 50s Tweed suitcase.What bag do you use for everything else?-il_570xn-269471930-jpg

User Info Menu

My usual load was a guitar, a guitar amp, and miscellaneous accessories like signal cables. For years I used a "salesman's catalog case", a semi-rigid briefcase-like thing I got at an office-supply store. My amp went on a folding handtruck and the catalog case went on top of the amp. The catalog case was big enough to carry a heavy extension cord, some signal cables, a Real Book, and some other stuff.

If I were hauling this stuff around now, I'd use something like the DeWalt Toughsystem 2.0 mobile tool box. It's a toolbox built onto a hand truck. All the miscellany would go in there, and the amp would go on top of the toolbox. I got the idea from another member's posting on one of the guitar groups I read, but I'm afraid I don't remember who. IIRC that poster used a Craftsman brand toolbox-on-a-cart.

If I just had to carry a little bit of stuff around on my back, just about any rucksack would do. I seem to like REI products, but there are a zillion manufacturers of such things. You'd probably want one with a large top opening, maybe some internal dividers, and some exterior pockets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Littlemark
    I use a 50s Tweed suitcase.What bag do you use for everything else?-il_570xn-269471930-jpg
    My thoughts precisely! Yard-sale luggage is cost-effective and practical. Not to mention stackable. Save for the medium-duty hand-truck gifted by my family, all my schlepping needs have been covered by the please get this stuff off my lawn market.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I have a "gig bag" -something like this, it's got multiple pockets for different things. Honestly you don't need an expensive one, you could probably find some kind of "gym bag" at a sporting goods store that would work for you.

What bag do you use for everything else?-jpg
    I have something like this, $7 @ the thrift store.

User Info Menu

I've used them but not easy to carry in one hand with, say, an amp or guitar in a rigid case. I like to keep trips from car to stage to a minimum.

User Info Menu

This gets my vote for the classiest choice.

User Info Menu

I use an electrician’s work bag. It has lots of pockets, etc to keep me organized. I just keep it in the trunk with my spare music stand so I’m good to go.

What bag do you use for everything else?-2c3d555e-02f5-4fe3-9fd9-57ed54a7ff5e-jpgWhat bag do you use for everything else?-1c2d4232-e2e2-48d1-8e7b-d567df7c09f6-jpg

User Info Menu

Mono makes a add-on bag called The Tick. You can store a (Nano) pedalboard in it, or quite a few cables.
    The last few rehearsals I brought a guitar, one cable, DV Little Jazz, amp stand (cardboard) and a few small things. It's nice to be able to keep things simple. I have to walk 15 minutes with my kit, so a light kit works best.

If you want a shoulder bag that will last a lifetime, check out Billingham photo bags. You can take out the interior if you want.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    Mono makes a add-on bag called The Tick.
    I just got home from my band’s weekly Sunday brunch blues show & jam. A guest new to our club brought his bass in a Mono bag with a Tick attached. I asked about it and he loves it. I’d never seen one before - it’s very cool, we’ll made, and practical. He told me it’s $90, which seems reasonable if you have a Mono bag, need that much capacity, and don’t mind carrying the extra weight and bulk.

I can fit a big iPad or 13” laptop in the Summit bag and in the outside pocket on most of my gig bags (which also have at least one smaller zipped pocket or pouch that holds strings, tools, cables etc). I keep a long 1/4” guitar cable in the pocket with the tablet, and the second pocket holds everything else I need for the guitar. I carry the Little Mark in a lighting bag a few inches longer than the amp so I can keep power cords, a short 3 outlet extension cord, my Boss wireless rig, one pedal and a wall wart in there too.

User Info Menu

Shooting range bags work well. Bags designed for fly fishing are great but hard to find for a decent price.

Thank you all for the great suggestions!
    The tweed suitcase has some charm in the most unpractical way. Reminds me of a friend of mine who made a pedalboard out of an old tweed briefcase. He drilled a few well placed holes in the sides for input/output and power cables and it was pretty sweet.
    I hadn't really thought of the tool bag approach. I have a Husky tool bag that I used for my pedals and stuff for years until I went with Pedaltrain. The tool bag is not very easy to carry around but I guess there are a lot of different kinds of tool bags these days I haven't seen. I shall have to look into that.
    Thanks again!

User Info Menu

I use the bag my worm-drive Skil saw came in. It has a shoulder strap and works fine.

User Info Menu

That's awesome. I used an old suitcase like that for many years, but my needs, mainly width, outgrew it. I didn't want different gear bags for different situations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Not really what you're looking for, but I've been using one of these construction worker's gear bags for several years now, love it. What's great is I can fit my Rat stand AND Henriksen Bud in it. Guitar on back, gear bag in one hand, that's it. Even if I'm using a slighly larger amp like a Quilter combo, it's still guitar on back, amp in one hand, gear bag in the other.

Bucket Boss Gatemouth 20 Tool Bag
    What a great idea!

Apparently, it's possible to get one, with wheels, that will fit my Little Jazz (a 10.5 inch cube, more or less) and my pedalboard, with room left over for the cables and gadgets. If I can strap a music stand to it, I'll have the guitar on my back and everything else in a rolling bag. One hand free.

I'm going to do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    What a great idea!

Apparently, it's possible to get one, with wheels, that will fit my Little Jazz (a 10.5 inch cube, more or less) and my pedalboard, with room left over for the cables and gadgets. If I can strap a music stand to it, I'll have the guitar on my back and everything else in a rolling bag. One hand free.

I'm going to do it.
    After really looking into bags, because I like my Rat music stand, I wanted something to plan around carrying that and the Bud 6 together. Here it is. (Sorry about the orientation, can't seem to get it horizontal.) The Rat stand, Bud 6, ext box in the bag, plenty of room to spare The Beaudens battery pack in the middle is if I want/need to be completely independent from the house power. If I need to also bring my PedalTrain board, it lays very nicely on top of everything. Super flexible. If I don't need the Rat stand (which is often) there's room for other stuff. Likewise with the Bud, ext box, & the Beaudens. Always enough room to swap things, yet I can take everything if necessary. Guitar on back, everything else in one hand.

What bag do you use for everything else?-gearbag-jpg

ps - RATstands RAT-JAZZ Portable Music Stand | Easy Music Center | Reverb

Sorry! Something went wrong!
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 09-28-2021 at 02:28 PM.

User Info Menu

[+100 on the Rat Jazz stands, btw! They are excellent!]

Woody, looks pretty cool, but heavy! It's reasonable, though?

User Info Menu

I just use the soft case that came with a pedalboard - metro 16. It has a metal zip, padded and big enough to hold a4 sheet folder, cables, picks, mx50x headphones, a few pedals used occasionally, (sans amp para driver di/ ditto x2/ Carl Martin rock bug/ tech21 blond) microphone/clear etc.
    takes everything I need for ensemble or Jamulus sessions. Also comes with a shoulder strap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    [+100 on the Rat Jazz stands, btw! They are excellent!]

Woody, looks pretty cool, but heavy! It's reasonable, though?
    Yes, if I am carrying all 3 things (Rat stand, Bud amp, Beaudens battery) it's heavy. But rarely are all 3 are going to a gig. Most times one or two are not coming along. But the fit is there if I need it. What you see is the "armageddon" scenario, ready for anything, especially with that battery pack that will last roughly three full jobs.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 09-29-2021 at 06:24 AM.