The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Looking for a new guitar under 500 USD. Particulary Washburn J-3 looks and sounds interesting to me, and it`s not so expensive. What can you say about it? Or maybe I should look at another guitars.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wells117
    Looking for a new guitar under 500 USD. Particulary Washburn J-3 looks and sounds interesting to me, and it`s not so expensive. What can you say about it? Or maybe I should look at another guitars.

User Info Menu

Washburn know how to make some very good guitars.

They are as good as any when it comes to the budget range.

I don't think you will be finding something better than what else is available in that bracket but you should get a guitar that works.

If you enjoy the looks then you should be fine.

If you're buying new then I would suggest a used instrument as it allows you to level up into the lower mid range. If you're buying used and you're still in the Lowe range, then sure a Washburn is fine.

User Info Menu

I have a Washburn J600k. Paid about 500 new. Needed a fret polish. Replaced all the electronics and added a string ground. Lot of finish issues- bare spots and overspray. Bought as my first archtop to see if I like ‘em. It did its job and got me hooked. Doesn’t get played anymore. Need to donate it to a school program.

User Info Menu

Back in 2000 I bought two blonde J-10s, yhe Orleans model
    Same thing It could’ve used some fret work, a whole new pick up and harness and a lot of set up work

I donated both of them to kids in my church snd got an ‘82 GB10

User Info Menu

I think the Washburn archtops are good deals for the money, but the proof is in the playing. I've got an old J-10 Orleans and it's a very nice guitar.

User Info Menu

Typically, at all price levels Ibanez guitars are very consistent. They might not be what you're looking for, for any number of reasons, but they are also usually in stock in places like guitar Center or Sam Ash. Also, I agree with going used almost always, but keep in mind new guitars in the shop will rarely be perfectly setup or have the strings you prefer.

Yeah! Thank you, guys, for your replies! It really helps me! Unfortunately, I live in Russia and even Chinese Ibanez guitars there cost about 700$. And in stock they sound not as good as I want. And here we don’t have lots of guitar choices. In my hometown there’s an• Korean Aria Pro II FA65 in used condition for about 550$. I think it’s worth listening. So I wanna give it a try. And again thank you for your help!

?????????? ? ????? iPhone ????????? Tapatalk

User Info Menu

The early Washburn J-6s were made in Japan by Terada for about a year, 1988-89, before production moved to Samick, South Korea in 89. The early models have a traditional tail piece, and the later ones have the "W" Washburn tailpiece. The Koreans are nice but the Japanese made were premium, as was the very rare Japanese made original Washburn J-10, which was not the same guitar as the later model of the same name. Jazz guitarist Jon Dalton has one on his Youtube channel.

User Info Menu

My very first archtop guitar was a Washburn. It was a non cutaway ES 125 copy , but instead of a P90 it had a floating minihumbucker. It was actually really good for the price. It was obviously all laminated, however it still had a surprisingly decent acoustic sound. The J3 is a few models up from the one I had so I would expect it to be a decent guitar.