The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 127

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Forum, Mogens! And thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mogens Fosgerau
    Here is an example of the SBUS in the wild. I am using the '65 voice. Toob 12J+ cab, loaded with a Cannabis Rex. The speaker is vertical. The video is recorded with my phone with, I think, surprisingly good sound.

Sounds great!

User Info Menu

I do so wonder how I would have felt had I been in the same room. As I was here in Stockholm, listening through a pair of KRK speakers I found I agree with gitterbug above, very small, on the verge of indiscernible tonal differences. All that said, my spontaneous feel was that the last, blackface was the best. Though very much a question of taste, they were all good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 0zoro
    I do so wonder how I would have felt had I been in the same room. As I was here in Stockholm, listening through a pair of KRK speakers I found I agree with gitterbug above, very small, on the verge of indiscernible tonal differences. All that said, my spontaneous feel was that the last, blackface was the best. Though very much a question of taste, they were all good.
    Whenever I get new gear I play it for my wife and she has one of two responses: either she says "That sounds like you" or she says "That doesn't sound quite like you". In the case of the three Superblock voices, she listened to all three and said "Those sound like you". I suspect this is one of those cases where you hear the player more than the gear. As long as I have the master up and the gain down, this amp does sound like me. (And I like the Blackface best as well).

User Info Menu

Amp differences become smaller when the guitar is played quietly at lower volumes, and even smaller still when recorded and played over the internet. Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference between the three. Perhaps I could have hearing it live in the room, but not from here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Amp differences become smaller when the guitar is played quietly at lower volumes, and even smaller still when recorded and played over the internet. Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference between the three. Perhaps I could have hearing it live in the room, but not from here.
    Agreed. Maybe to Jim and some others the differences are more apparent, but I can barely tell the differences (if at all) between any of the rigs he has demoed over the several years I've followed posts here (both guitars and amps).

User Info Menu

I think the player's touch has an over-riding effect. Jim's strong musical character comes through regardless of the amp (within reasonable limits, in this case, subtle voicing differences subordinate to long-refined technique. IMHO). Kudos!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I think the player's touch has an over-riding effect. Jim's strong musical character comes through regardless of the amp (within reasonable limits, in this case, subtle voicing differences subordinate to long-refined technique. IMHO). Kudos!
    Agreed, especially when that touch is light. Someone who digs in more is more likely to reveal a rig's dynamic and distortion characteristics (for good or ill ..)

User Info Menu

I have to agree with the ‘not much difference’ crowd. I listened several times, overall it all sounds like a Quilter. The Blackface is, as i would expect, is emphasizing the highs. Like a Deluxe.
    But overall, nice playing!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Agreed. Maybe to Jim and some others the differences are more apparent, but I can barely tell the differences (if at all) between any of the rigs he has demoed over the several years I've followed posts here (both guitars and amps).
    Many years ago, on a different forum, I got into one of those endless arguments about just how much control did the player have over the tone as versus how much did the gear control. I kept saying that within reasonable limits I could generally make most gear sound like me. One person in particular (who had never heard me play) took great exception to that. As the argument got more heated, he demanded that I post proof of my assertion so I posted a series of videos of me playing different guitars through different amplifiers. Rather than accept my point that the player makes a major contribution to the tone of the gear, his response was that I was a statistical outlier and as such my experience was not relevant. He may be right but the problem with that logic is that I'm not a statistical outlier TO ME. Rather I am a sample size of one. What I hear is only relative to my expectations of what I think I ought to sound like and how close to that I am coming. It is not a projection of what others will sound like. I know that my playing is unorthodox and very few players are going to sound much like me, even when playing my guitar through my gear. But since I'm only ever comparing sounds to my own expectations, the difference that I hear when I'm playing, even when small, becomes significant since I become the entire sample group.

I have no idea if that makes any sense to anyone other than me ... but it makes profound sense to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Rather than accept my point that the player makes a major contribution to the tone of the gear, his response was that I was a statistical outlier and as such my experience was not relevant…I have no idea if that makes any sense to anyone other than me ... but it makes profound sense to me.
    I’m with you, Jim. It ain’t what you play - it’s how you play it. Every aspect of technique, style, personal body structure, etc contributes to our sound. Each of us strikes the strings with a unique combination of force, position, angle, speed, stroke, etc. My 36” arms are positioned differently over the strings from someone else’s 32” arms. I often slightly damp unplucked strings with my left hand fingers. The synch between fretting and plucking is unique to each of us, as is how long we hold a fretted string before releasing it. Some of us have strong fingers and some weaker ones. Even the angle of our left fingers to the strings differs greatly.

This is why trying to buy someone else’s sound is a fool’s errand and why discovering our own unique sound is the way to go. Jimmy Bruno is a perfect example. He’s played many different guitars and amps over the years, yet he always sounds like Jimmy Bruno.

You’ve convinced me of the virtues of the Superblock US. I ordered one from MF and hope their estimated delivery time of 6 weeks is not pure fantasy. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Many years ago, on a different forum, I got into one of those endless arguments about just how much control did the player have over the tone as versus how much did the gear control. I kept saying that within reasonable limits I could generally make most gear sound like me. One person in particular (who had never heard me play) took great exception to that. As the argument got more heated, he demanded that I post proof of my assertion so I posted a series of videos of me playing different guitars through different amplifiers. Rather than accept my point that the player makes a major contribution to the tone of the gear, his response was that I was a statistical outlier and as such my experience was not relevant. He may be right but the problem with that logic is that I'm not a statistical outlier TO ME. Rather I am a sample size of one. What I hear is only relative to my expectations of what I think I ought to sound like and how close to that I am coming. It is not a projection of what others will sound like. I know that my playing is unorthodox and very few players are going to sound much like me, even when playing my guitar through my gear. But since I'm only ever comparing sounds to my own expectations, the difference that I hear when I'm playing, even when small, becomes significant since I become the entire sample group.

I have no idea if that makes any sense to anyone other than me ... but it makes profound sense to me.
    You would definitely not get an argument from me on the point that the player makes a major contribution to tone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    I’m with you, Jim...You’ve convinced me of the virtues of the Superblock US. I ordered one from MF and hope their estimated delivery time of 6 weeks is not pure fantasy. Thanks!
    Pure fantasy? Let's reserve judgment a bit longer - but the updated arrival date from MF 2 weeks ago was October 7. So I called yesterday and was told it's now October 22. For those who want one of these but would be happy with the combo version, the vocalist in our blues band ordered an Aviator Cub yesterday and discovered that they've already been restocked at MF. He'll have it in 3 days.

Meanwhile, I tracked my Superblock US using Google, and I think I found it within swimming distance of California:

The Quilter Superblock USA-cargo_ships_off_ca-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images The Quilter Superblock USA-cargo_ships_off_ca-jpg 

User Info Menu

Hope its not on the ship that anchor dragged that pipeline!

User Info Menu

Ya still digging that Superblock? Mines pre-ordered, it was one month, then two, now three months on back order. I was gonna get a refund after two months and seller said hold off it's coming soon but soon hasn't come yet...it may be sitting on a ship, it's a screwed up world...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    Ya still digging that Superblock? Mines pre-ordered, it was one month, then two, now three months on back order. I was gonna get a refund after two months and seller said hold off it's coming soon but soon hasn't come yet...it may be sitting on a ship, it's a screwed up world...
    I just keep loving it more. Wonderful sounding rig and beautifully voiced tone controls.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    ...it may be sitting on a ship, it's a screwed up world...
    I checked with Quilter the other week: they are just sitting in Long Beach on the docks! Ugh ...

User Info Menu

I just keep loving it more. Wonderful sounding rig and beautifully voiced tone controls.
    Same here. I liked mine from the beginning but just like it even more now.

I subbed in a big band rehearsal yesterday and I brought my Superblock US and plugged it into 4x12 Marshall cab that was in already in their rehearsal space and I only had my Master volume at around 10'o clock and I felt I had all the controls I would have wanted.

I don't expect a 4x12 Marshall in a big band to be a crazy common use case but I still find it cool to be able to bring almost nothing apart from a guitar and plug it into whatever that just happened to be already there, and I still have knobs and controls that I feel familiar with.

I also recently purchased a Toob Metro BG and combined it makes such a nice sounding and portible, conveinient rig.

The only detaiI don't like about it (I've already mentioned it in some other thread) is that I personally, for my usage, would have preferred a slightly bigger unit with an internal PSU. It would be really cool if the next model would have some kind of a BlockDock like system to optionally attach the PSU to the amp.
    (Ofcourse I understand it is more pedal board friendly with an external PSU, and that was what they aimed for with this product).

User Info Menu

Update on The Gear Page, from one of their sales managers:

"Sorry you all are still waiting! I bring good news - we have a large enough batch to catch up on all backorders sitting at the Port of Los Angeles and we just got word that they should be delivered to our warehouse next week. So we're almost there! Thank you for hanging in there."

User Info Menu

Had two charity gigs yesterday at old age nursing homes. Both venues were cafeterias seating 50 at least. Our old boys' swing band has two horns, a heavy-handed pianist, bass, drums and myself on the guitar. I've been skeptical about the clean headroom of Quilter's SuperBlock US, especially with the less sensitive Metro 6.5" cabs I make. Not anymore. Of course, the audience was dead silent - almost literally - so a noisy bar may be different. Even there, a small speaker cuts through, being more point-like as a source.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Update on The Gear Page, from one of their sales managers:

"Sorry you all are still waiting! I bring good news - we have a large enough batch to catch up on all backorders sitting at the Port of Los Angeles and we just got word that they should be delivered to our warehouse next week. So we're almost there! Thank you for hanging in there."
    And here’s an update from MF. They ran my credit card last week, but their website still said backordered. So I called to find out if that meant that mine was shipping. Short answer is no - the tentative date for arrival at MF is now 11/23. That date has been moved back every 2 weeks since I ordered it.

They claim to have run the card for “preauthorization”, but they’d already done that back in September. No charge has yet been posted, so I’m assuming the preauth expired and they renewed it. I get an email immediately when a charge is posted, so I can reverse it.

So for the present, MF will probably not be able to deliver a Superblock US until at least early December.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway;[URL="[URL
    tel:1147750[/URL]"]1147750[/URL]]Sounds great!
    yes that was lovely
    i dig the neck vibrato thing you do !
    what guitar you using there Morgens ?

User Info Menu

Bummer, thanks for the update, @nevershould!

User Info Menu

I bought one on a whim so far and I’m enjoying the 57 voicing through an EVM 12 style speaker as it has a lot of mids and the reverb sounds pretty good.
    Has me looking at the Mach 3 head potentially for more clean volume.

User Info Menu

It’s now a month since my last update (post #17) in this thread. The more things change….

MF has now run my credit card twice more. Quilter posted a note on their FB page a few days ago saying that they hope the shipment pickup scheduled for that day would be successful. As they haven’t mentioned it since, I posted a simple message this afternoon asking how the pickup went. There was no response and the message is now gone.

On the bright side, Quilter announced that they now sell a beanie (actually a watch cap in the picture, but I won’t quibble because I want my Superblock).