The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 35

User Info Menu

I’m finding that, as essential as delay/echo pedals are in rock/country/etc, I don’t often feel the urge to use them in jazz. For other genres, I find a delay pedal is necessary….maybe even two delay pedals.

Alternatively, I hate reverb in other genres. Not a fan. But I love a bit of verb for jazz.

I tend to gravitate mostly towards chorus and tremolo when playing jazz, if I even use effects at all…

You?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I prefer a bit of dark or modulated analog delay over reverb.

Mike Stern uses it prominently in some solos for an over the top feel. You can see his board here Mike Stern concert pedalboards - Album on Imgur he has two, one more subtle.

User Info Menu

Most of the younger (under 50) cats use delay, and some of us over 50 like a little, too!

User Info Menu

I think delay and reverb is super nice in a smaller group setting (solo up to quartet or maybe quintett). Especially if the overall level is so low, that the acoutic overtones of the guitar mingle with the amplified sound

Lage does this live. Federico on instagram as well Login • Instagram

Not a fan of "shimmer" stuff though.

User Info Menu

Though I have a delay in my Tech 21 Fly Rig (preamp / effects / tuner / DI-box) I only use it for the wah wah watson effect: sliding up and down the neck while working the wah pedal – and only for a few seconds in our whole set. That said I use the wah only as a favour to our organ player who tends to like that tone.
    Using delay as a room effect sounds a bit stale to me. I find myself using reverb less and less. There is something intimate about a dry guitar tone that I really like.

User Info Menu

Delay is a great sound for contemporary jazz but it’s easy to get addicted to it. Recently I’ve been playing dry mostly even without reverb. You get that big orchestral sound with delay though….

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

With the jazz gigs and sessions I mostly do there's almost no time for setting up or room on the floor for more than a small amp, so I almost never use effects other than reverb in the amp. But when recording I often use a little bit of stereo delay (plus reverb). Delay times vary (anywhere from slapback to 1/4 note) according to the tune. Mix and feedback are just barely loud enough to hear (around 5-7% each typically).

I actually really like the sound of playing through 2 amps with stereo delay and/or light stereo chorusing, but it's completely impractical in the world I inhabit.

User Info Menu

Did you try this one? Do you like it? Seems like it's a real popular pedal with many modern jazz players. I am not too fond of the soundbits I've heard... Too shimmery for me I think.

User Info Menu

Give me a lo fi analog any day. Keeps the first attack in the foreground…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    Though I have a delay in my Tech 21 Fly Rig (preamp / effects / tuner / DI-box) I only use it for the wah wah watson effect: sliding up and down the neck while working the wah pedal – and only for a few seconds in our whole set. That said I use the wah only as a favour to our organ player who tends to like that tone.
    Using delay as a room effect sounds a bit stale to me. I find myself using reverb less and less. There is something intimate about a dry guitar tone that I really like.
    The mod on the Tech 21 is quite wibbly

User Info Menu

Depends on the guitar, somewhat. Having just acquired a Gretsch after 50 years of pro playing, I find that it handles reverb and delay very well, because the pickups have more clarity and pop, making a minimal amount of effects really sound good. Same with a nylon-string electric, delay works a little better than on the mid-rangy and compressed PAF type pickups most jazzers prefer. Both Metheny and Martino use delay to excellent purpose, giving each note an added dimension. It's fascinating to play with, can easily be overdone, but really provides a fullness to the sound that my audience members always comment on positively. I have my Digitech multi-processors set up so that each succeeding setting adds a little more juice, starting from fairly dry to fairly wet over about 6 settings. The tune's tempo and mood actually selects the setting.

User Info Menu

Delay is the new chorus.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue_lu
    Did you try this one? Do you like it? Seems like it's a real popular pedal with many modern jazz players. I am not too fond of the soundbits I've heard... Too shimmery for me I think.
    No I haven't because all of my current amps have reverb. But the pedal has always interested me in case I go with a "dry" amp or powered speaker. But it seems most of the demos focus on more extreme uses. I would think you could tame it down to a subtle reverb/delay.

User Info Menu

Just a touch of the amp's reverb does it for me. 2 - 3 ish. Maybe a very light and slow tremelo if I'm feeling adventurous.

User Info Menu

I like the Mako delay for the feature that it can cut the initial attack of the repeats. It solves the problem that the repeats can be rythmically disturbing.

Last edited by Mogens Fosgerau; 09-22-2021 at 08:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mogens Fosgerau
    I like the Mako delay for the feature that it can cut the initial attack of the repeats. It solves the problem that the repeats can be rythmically disturbing.

Thanks very much for posting this video.
    Very enjoyable! CONGRATS to everyone in the trio.

Are you using a bit of delay and reverb combined?

Thanks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mogens Fosgerau

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greco
    Thanks very much for posting this video.
    Very enjoyable! CONGRATS to everyone in the trio.

Are you using a bit of delay and reverb combined?

Thanks
    Many thanks!

Yes, there is both a little delay and a little fairly short reverb.

User Info Menu

I love delay. But not for jazz "textures". Reverb all the way for that. I guess I see jazz as a more "pure" (unadulterated?) form of playing, so I just want guitar tone, and some nice reverb (not too much!) Almost as if you were playing alone in a hall.

Actually, come to think of it, I'll include blues too. I lean towards reverb there as well. I do love some slapback rockabilly, but that's a very specific style. Delay is definitely more "rock" to me (David Gilmour, Eric Johnson, etc.)

User Info Menu

Effects or not I shouldn't have sold my Boss DD-200 delay pedal. The 200 series of effects is excellent.
    I use some slap back sometimes and want to get into ambient music. I'm going to get another one. It has room for 4 presets.

I'm fussy about fuzz. It has to react with the volume control on guitar. I want unpredictable explosions and oodles of tone from a fuzz.

User Info Menu

Delay, Boss.

User Info Menu

My secret weapon;

User Info Menu

HX Effects user here. Parallel chain with reverb and a long, subtle delay with low repeats tucked in quietly behind the main signal has been in rotation for me lately. Another fun trick, if your reverb doesn’t have a pre-delay, is to put the reverb in series after the delay (mix 100%) on a channel parallel to the raw signal. Separating the reverb from the main signal with the delay helps preserve the clarity of the raw signal.

User Info Menu

Just reverb for me. I have an old Fender amp that has Tremelo, but I never use the effect (and hardly use the amp these days). I have a Chorus pedal and an overdrive pedal for use if a fusion/rock/blues gig comes along, but seeing as I haven't had one of those gigs in over a decade, I probably should sell those. If I did, one of those gigs would probably show up soon thereafter, so on the gear shelf they stay.