Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 34 of 34

User Info Menu

MY rig not that I've actually used it yet;

Boss RV 6 reverb. EHX Pog. Fulltone Deja-Vibe. Mimi Tube Screamer. Hotone wah/volume. Dunlop blue Fuzz Face.
    I'm not thrilled with the Dunlop. I might try a germanium Fulltone 69'.
    VooDoo Labs board.

It's pretty self-indulgent since I just play with a clean sound most of the time. I'm trying to ween myself off the DAW (FL Studio) and I settled on an MPC Live.
    That's what I got the Pioneer RMX 1000 for.

I don't know what I'm going to do with all this but I'm going to get a house, build a studio and do something.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I should take this opportunity to sing the praises of the El Pescadoro by the Nocturne Brain, hipped to me by our friend neatomic of blessed memory. Basically a Jr. Barnyard octaloid pre-amp paired with a bunch of pre-spring reverb echo and reverb simulations from the always-golden past. Warmth and depth at flick of a switch and or the press of a button for tasteful tone enhancements in multiple tweakable flavors. Well worth the time, effort, and outlay. Just the ticket for your lightweight Class D amps or your classic tube favorites.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol View Post
    Dunlop blue Fuzz Face.
    I'm not thrilled with the Dunlop. I might try a germanium Fulltone 69’.
    Fuzz is a very fickle and difficult search... there are manny different takes on how to get a fuzz sound (square wave or a wave that clips to a square wave)... a lot of fuzzs fall into two camps: big muff, or fuzz face. Big muff tend to lack mid range, fuzz face tend to be bright... when I say tend, I mean there are a lot of pedals out there that tweak things. For example adding mid range into a muff type pedal. Often fuzz pedals are just changed a little bit to run in different harmonic areas. Another thing to take in account, is that some are seriously influenced by the ambient temperature. I think there are typical germanium types, but I need to double check that.

I tend to really like being able to add in the clean sound a little to get some definition on the notes. The fuzz I end up using the most is a VFE Alpha Dog. That pedal is just a Rat, with the three most done mods, and an ability to mix back in the clean sound. Wampler also has a Rat pedal. It has the Rat sound but no clean blend. I also tend to really like my bigsoundsmallsound ... team awesome. It has a clean blend and a mid boost.

If you are going for a germanium type sound. Analogue Man Sunface is a good pedal to look at.

Fuzz is a crazy personal journey into a madness of choices that have to match the guitar and amp, to really sound best.

User Info Menu

What camp is this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles View Post
    What camp is this?

From the demo, I would say this is of the Fuzz Face school of germanium mayhem. I like mine siliconic, if you please.*

* FWIW, my Fulltone FullDrive 2V2 is set for Flat Mids/Wide and is fed by a Hot Tubes Nano for singing sustain, enhanced by a Keely Omniverb's mild plate setting.
    I'm setting up my other FTFD 2V2 (VIN/STD) with the Fuzz Face Jimi Hendrix Mini feeding it for less jangle, more tangle, potentially in stereo.

User Info Menu

The Strymon El Capistan is a wonderful delay pedal that emulates the sound of old tape delays and also does a great amp reverb sound. Might be worth checking out?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by P.J. View Post
    The Strymon El Capistan is a wonderful delay pedal that emulates the sound of old tape delays and also does a great amp reverb sound. Might be worth checking out?
    There are several great options for Tape Delay. The Belle Epoch is another, but my personal favorite is the Wampler Faux Tape Echo despite it being a simpler pedal than the Strymon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by st.bede View Post
    Fuzz is a very fickle and difficult search... there are manny different takes on how to get a fuzz sound (square wave or a wave that clips to a square wave)... a lot of fuzzs fall into two camps: big muff, or fuzz face. Big muff tend to lack mid range, fuzz face tend to be bright... when I say tend, I mean there are a lot of pedals out there that tweak things. For example adding mid range into a muff type pedal. Often fuzz pedals are just changed a little bit to run in different harmonic areas. Another thing to take in account, is that some are seriously influenced by the ambient temperature. I think there are typical germanium types, but I need to double check that.

I tend to really like being able to add in the clean sound a little to get some definition on the notes. The fuzz I end up using the most is a VFE Alpha Dog. That pedal is just a Rat, with the three most done mods, and an ability to mix back in the clean sound. Wampler also has a Rat pedal. It has the Rat sound but no clean blend. I also tend to really like my bigsoundsmallsound ... team awesome. It has a clean blend and a mid boost.

If you are going for a germanium type sound. Analogue Man Sunface is a good pedal to look at.

Fuzz is a crazy personal journey into a madness of choices that have to match the guitar and amp, to really sound best.
    A Fuzz pedal is a whole instrument in itself!
    The way they react to your volume & input impedance, your amp etc....so much tonal space. I end up playing it as much as the guitar.
    Don't leave Tonebenders out of the Muff or Fuzzface dynasties.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue_lu View Post
    Did you try this one? Do you like it? Seems like it's a real popular pedal with many modern jazz players. I am not too fond of the soundbits I've heard... Too shimmery for me I think.
    Soundbites of the dispatch master or the older brother (Avalanche Run?) I've often seen these vids posted together.

I personally prefer the darkness of analog delays- I find digital delays too clean and perhaps- intrusive in their repeats? Especially if I don't have much sustain going on.
    But TBH, I haven't spent too much time trying to get digital to fit.