The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

As some of you know I'm on the wait list with Mark C. I'm still 18 months out +/- from a start date. My current guitars are an Ibanez AFC-95, 2000 MIM Tele and a 1985 MIJ Contemporary Strat. The Fenders are a joy to play, but I get going playing the blues and, well, my fingers can't take it anymore and cause me pain for a week. The Ibanez is ok, but it has it's short comings. So I decided to look for another guitar that would become my new main guitar and when I'm ready, I can also use it playing out without worries. I looked at guitars in the 2-3k range, and read a lot of user reviews, etc. I was hoping to find something available, in stock, and I'd even be willing to drive for a day to get it. One guitar that fit the bill was the Comins GCS-16-1 Model. I watched some videos by Tim Lerch who gave it high marks along with some other players. So I decided to see if I could find one and I guess it was my lucky day! The Music Emporium, just a short drive away had one in stock, and it was the actual model and color I wanted Violin Burst. Well 2 hours later I was back home with my new guitar and after playing it a couple hours I replaced the stock strings with TI Swings 11's and I've been blown away by how nice this guitar is for the money. Even the case is top notch. I still plan on having a guitar made from Mark C. but this one will be a real work horse for me.

Comins GCS-16-1 Violin Burst-untitled-9-jpgComins GCS-16-1 Violin Burst-untitled-5-jpgComins GCS-16-1 Violin Burst-untitled-7-jpgComins GCS-16-1 Violin Burst-untitled-3-jpgComins GCS-16-1 Violin Burst-untitled-6-jpgComins GCS-16-1 Violin Burst-untitled-10-jpgComins GCS-16-1 Violin Burst-untitled-4-jpg
    Last edited by Strbender; 09-18-2021 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Adding Pictures

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What an elegant instrument! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Thats a beautiful guitar.

User Info Menu

Congratulations. That is a beautiful guitar. Perhaps you could record something for us so we can hear it?

The Music Emporium is a top-notch shop. I’ve played some amazing instruments there. I also live nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

That's beautiful! I have the same guitar in natural. Have you listened to it through an audio interface yet?
    I'm quite happy with this guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by d115
    That's beautiful! I have the same guitar in natural. Have you listened to it through an audio interface yet?
    I'm quite happy with this guitar.
    Thanks,

I don't use a DAW setup, although I do have an audio interface. I tend to use my digital multi track. I haven't recorded anything yet. I bought it last week and I'm still getting use to it. So far I've been playing it unplugged, or with my DV Mark Little Jazz, and I'm real happy with the sound. Eventually I'll try it with my Peavey Classic 30.

User Info Menu

When I practice, it's usually with headphones through a focusrite solo. To my ears, the tone is head and shoulders above my little jazz and bud. Im just hearing the uncolored tone of the guitar without the room acoustics interfering. Either way, enjoy your new guitar. It is beautiful!

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar. I wonder if the lam spruce top has less mid range "honk" than a lam maple top. Would be interesting to go over to G&J In NJ and compare a Peerless spruce with a Peerless maple.

User Info Menu

What is the string gauge that came with the guitar? The only reference I could find anywhere on the internet is that it is 12s, rounds, but no indication as to the set. D'Addario? Is the g wound? Is it 12 to 52?

User Info Menu

nice !

when playing unplugged, have you got all those nice "natural harmonics" from the body ?

(got the same guitar tangerine burst and what surprised me first when I play it unplugged was all those natural harmonics when playing)

(string gauge is 12-52 rounded )