The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 31 of 31

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond
    I thought that the bridge pick up was terrible so I installed a Johnny Smith PU on the neck base and added tone and volume controls on the pick guard. Sounds great but this model as I read, was discontinued. Too bad.
    great guitar for the cost.
    Did the JS PU have to get attached to the pickguard or were you able to attach it to the neck itself?

And for anyone, is the nut a 1 3/4"? I've seen conflicting info out there. Even the DA website conflicts with all of the vendor sites. Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

New Beach Guitar Day! I've been interested in these since they came out at NAMM. One popped up on CL about 15 miles from our condo at the beach, so had to check it out. I don't think the owner had played it much, had the hanging tag from GG in the case pocket, and what I'm guessing are the original strings. My guess is D'Addario P/B 13's. Mint condition.

It's a BIG guitar, however the thinner depth makes it fairly comfy to play. I haven't had the opportunity to plug it in, the seller brought a small Blackstar battery powered amp over to prove the pickup worked. I've got a Baggs Para to mess with the piezo or guess a magnetic sound hole PU like a Sunrise would work since it's a round sound hole. But I really don't care too much about performing with it.

While I don't plan to sit on the beach and play it, I think it will be good as a travel and camp out instrument. Seems to be built like a tank. Not much in the way of outstanding acoustic tone but hey enough for serenading the wildlife!

Cheers!

D’Angelico EX-63-ex63-jpg

User Info Menu

Nice instrument! As far as volume, try corner-loading to see how much this round-hole archtop is actually putting out. You might be surprised. Corner loading is self descriptive - you play into a corner of the room, ala Rbt. Johnson. This reflects more of the sound back at you and enhances mid-range response.

At any rate, it looks to be gobs of fun. Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Nice one - congrats and enjoy it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Nice instrument! As far as volume, try corner-loading to see how much this round-hole archtop is actually putting out. You might be surprised. Corner loading is self descriptive - you play into a corner of the room, ala Rbt. Johnson. This reflects more of the sound back at you and enhances mid-range response.

At any rate, it looks to be gobs of fun. Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    I wasn't aware that there was a name for playing a instrument into a corner-however I've been doing that for years. "Corner loading"-great term!

And probably like a lot of players, it's fun to try out a guitar in a all tile room to hear the effect that gives.

As you can see by the photo, the EX-63 does a pretty good job of keeping our Dog calm without being plugged in! And yes, so far I'm having lots of fun with it. For $700.00 it's a amazing value.

User Info Menu

New to this type of guitars, anyone use 13 gauge strings on this guitar, also wondering about how phosphor bronze would work? I know it’s an old thread but not much information about this guitar. Thanks