The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

I obtained an Ibanez ES-175 copy (2355) many years ago, before I could afford a Gibosn. I modded the Ibanez many times over the years.
    Now I have a real Gibson ES-175 and want to put the Ibanez back closer to its original configuration.

This is the guitar as I got it in 1994:

Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-ibanez-2355-jpg

I took out the failing metric size pots and put in CTS pots:

Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-file-197-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This is the guitar as it is now. It has all gold hardware, none of it original.

Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-ibanez-175-2355-jpg

User Info Menu

I've never seen a 2355 with a sunburst finish on maple. It looks more like an FA-100 but with an early headstock.
    Something interesting about that headstock too. Can we see a better pic of it?

Good Job on the restoration btw. Looks great. What pups did you use, or did you find covers for the ones on there?

Is it the same depth as the ES-175?

User Info Menu

I did think it was an FA-100 for many years. In fact in my spreadsheet it is still called "FA-100" but due to the "open book" headstock and the "Gibson Style Fancy Tailpiece" that was in the case that I think is original (picture to come) I think it is a 2355. But, of course, there is no number on the guitar.

This is the closest Ibanez catalog picture I can find (1976 Catalog).

Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-screen-shot-2021-09-16-6-37-04-pm-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    I did think it was an FA-100 for many years. In fact in my spreadsheet it is still called "FA-100" but due to the "open book" headstock and the "Gibson Style Fancy Tailpiece" that was in the case that I think is original (picture to come) I think it is a 2355. But, of course, there is no number on the guitar.

This is the closest Ibanez catalog picture I can find (1976 Catalog).

Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-screen-shot-2021-09-16-6-37-04-pm-png
    I'd be interested to see the headstock on your 2355/fa-100

User Info Menu

Oops, I was mistaken, my Sebring has the "open book" style the Ibanez is like this:

Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-ibanez-headstock-jpg

User Info Menu

So, when I got the guitar I was just a rock guitarist playing solid body guitars. I did not know much about it. Many years later I am always learning more. I found this other Ibanez brochure from 1976 on the internet and this one looks closer:

Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-screen-shot-2021-09-16-8-42-45-pm-png

User Info Menu

These items were in the case with the guitar, I think they are original to the guitar.

Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-ibanez-tailpiece-jpg
    Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-ibanez-tom-jpg

User Info Menu

That is an original older-style Ibanez S.T. bridge. Those are pretty hard to find. I'm going to put that on the guitar. Even if the guitar did originally come with a wood saddle, that S.T. bridge is from the 1970s.
    I prefer a tune-o-matic bridge on a ES-175 style guitar.

User Info Menu

What pups did you use, or did you find covers for the ones on there?
    Those are Dimarzio PAF and I put gold covers on them. I'm planning on keeping the pickups and putting chrome covers on them.

Maybe I'll look for some original Ibanez pickups, but these Dimarzios are pretty nice. The Dimarzios are too hot without the covers, and the original 1Meg pots but with the new 500K pots and the covers they are good.

User Info Menu

Even if I do find original Ibanez "witch hat" knobs , they won't fit on the CTS pots, so I'll be happy with Gibson style replicas from Allparts.

Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-screen-shot-2021-09-16-9-01-51-pm-png

User Info Menu

The original tuners were long gone when I got the guitar but I did find some originals after years of searching!! These are the only style that will fit the original screw holes on the back of the headstock.

Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-screen-shot-2021-09-16-9-05-12-pm-png

User Info Menu

It sure looks like it has a laminated maple top though, though I suppose it could also be a transition FA-100 model with a birch top? I got a new transition 2619/AR300 back in '79, so they did that kind of thing. Only the natural FA-100's had the really flamey maple top (5 slice ply top), the stained tops got birch as the top ply. The 2355s had spruce on top. The FA-100 was "introduced for 1977", but that doesn't preclude some being made in '76 (might have a J/K/L serial number?). Is there a label on the inside, maybe signed by Sugihara in red ink? My '78 FA-100 has the identical headstock, and on close inspection you can see that the same inlay in yours is in my headstock as well, but painted over black from the factory.

Regardless, she looks amazing! Love the red ES-175 as well.

User Info Menu

For many years this was the only Ibanez catalog of which I was familiar. So I used to call mine a FA-100. But the headstock is a little different. The body color is a perfect match.

Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-screen-shot-2021-09-16-10-58-49-pm-png

User Info Menu

Head scratcher for sure.

Must be a transitional model between the 2355 and FA.

Pretty sure the FA-100 body is little different to the 2355 but those changes might have happened later on.
    Last edited by Archie; 09-17-2021 at 11:48 AM.

User Info Menu

I want to see how far we can take this Let me see if I can get a decent headstock pic of my FA100, to show the inlay under the paint.

User Info Menu

Hi icr
    Did you try the question over at
    https://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/index.php
    They have some solid older Ibanez brainpower)
    jk

User Info Menu

So, this is a dusty pic of my late '78's headstock. My 3 year old put the sticker there 18 years ago so it is there to stay, but I believe you can make out the inlay under the black paint regardless.

Headstock shape (same as my '19 AF-200)

User Info Menu

Interested in seeing the rest of it too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Hi icr
    Did you try the question over at
    Login
    They have some solid older Ibanez brainpower)
    jk
    I'll have to check it out seeing as I have 7 Ibanez guitars from 70s, 80s and 90s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Interested in seeing the rest of it too.
    This is the top, though honestly it looks a lot more striking in person.

Like you I had to swap out the old pots so I don't use the original knobs anymore, but kept them. this is a shot of the back, the side, and 2 of the original knobs.

This is a shot of it with the AF-200 and the Albatross

User Info Menu

Project on hold. The tuners I got are not what is pictured above from the for sale ad.
    Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-screen-shot-2021-09-16-9-05-12-pm-png

Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-guitar-tuners-1jpg-jpg

User Info Menu

All those guitars look great. I’ve played a few old Ibanez and they were all great. Never a 175 type though. Would love to.

User Info Menu

Ok almost a year later, I can't find the exact match tuners. Totally got ripped off last year on the tuners as the ones sent were nothing like those pictured. So I gave up on the project, until now...pictures to follow.

User Info Menu

Ibanez ES-175 (2355) - Restore Back to Original-img_1346-jpg