The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 14 of 14

User Info Menu

Hi!
    Just like it says, NCD.
    A little background, recently retired music teacher here, I like to sit at home and play chord melody on a beautiful Gibson L7.............
    Meanwhile out there in the real world, what I actually get to play is soul, country, blues and rock in about that order.
    Been lugging heavy valve amps around since the late seventies.
    So, after a bout of Covid 19, and increasing age it was really time for a change.

Got the Quilter Superblock US a couple of weeks ago and I am well pleased with it.
    Received a TOOB 12R on Monday, and have spent quite a bit of time evaluating it in context of playing in two different bands rehearsing for gigs.
    I am extremely pleased with the sound, the weight, and the quality and workmanship of this speaker!

Some thoughts: This speaker is razor sharp, no hiding any mistakes in your playing or in your setting up of sounds.
    The potential to sound good is huge, the potential to sound bad is up to you...The TOOB really delivers when you are on your toes!
    I am beginning to find this addictive! No messing around, just a really good accurate representation of what I am playing.

Originally I was looking for a light weight rig for rehearsals and small gigs, but now I think this is good for any gigging situation.
    For what ever reason, the TOOB and Superblock sounded excellent using a Gibson 335.
    Cheers!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new rig, Will!

We want pics!!

User Info Menu

Sounds amazing. Would love to see some pictures of your rig and guitars. I'm with a raezer's edge and Redstone cabs and I feel the same about my sound and my playing.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

congrats on your new light rig !

i know exactly what you mean
    about SS amps being more unforgiving
    and exact

ive just gone the opposite way
    been playing various SS amps
    for ages , and now playing tubes
    with a band , all kinds of pop soul etc
    (there happens to be a bassman clone
    in the rehearsal space we’re using)

the tubes are more forgiving
    when you’re hitting harder

dont know why ,
    but i definitely can feel it
    i like the tube thing esp in those settings
    (but not if i’ve got to carry it !)

The Quilter Superblock is the only solid state amp I have ever used that works well enough to leave my "proper=valve" amps at home.
    Unforgiving if fine if you get something back in the form of good sound! (Not normally the case with transistor amps, with some notable exceptions)
    Over the years various designs have tried to emulate the complex relationship in a valve amp between guitar, circuitry, transformers and speakers, and pretty much failed.
    This is all just one opinionated, grumpy old man ranting....
    Anything that works for you out there in the trenches of tone is great!

User Info Menu

I’m very very tempted to get one

my super light rig is Toob metro
    paired at the moment with a TC bam
    this is working great for clean jazz stuff
    (super clean and unforgiving)

but for the pop and soul tunes
    I’m playing at the moment
    I need a bit of tubeyness

it just doesn’t do Green Onions right

A superblock into one of these
    would be interesting
    Barefaced Upsetter 110
    – Barefaced Audio

m u s t ...... r e s i s t !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu

A superblock into one of these
    would be interesting
    Barefaced Upsetter 110
    – Barefaced Audio

m u s t ...... r e s i s t !
    I have the Barefaced, but haven't tried the SB-US yet! The cab is ridiculously light and definitely loud!

User Info Menu

it just doesn’t do Green Onions right
    I use a bit of olive oil to get them properly greasy

But seriously, if the BAM / Toob combo works well for you except for this, you’d probably be thrilled with a good tubey pedal like the Caitlinbread 55 up front. I use an Elf head into a RevSound RS8, which is similar in character to your current rig. I only have 2 pedals (Rocket Touch and Mooer Dumblr) and they both give me that hint of smooth tube clipping that I need. I also use one into my DV Marks with equal success, as long as the reverb is either off or barely on.

The Quilter SB and TOOB combo work pretty well for genuine Green Onion tone....
    Probably not so well if you're looking for genuine Yngwie J Malmsteen tone, or genuine Gary Moore blues tone....

User Info Menu

congratulations on your cool new rig, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit;[URL="tel:1146883"
    1146883[/URL]]I use a bit of olive oil to get them properly greasy

But seriously, if the BAM / Toob combo works well for you except for this, you’d probably be thrilled with a good tubey pedal like the Caitlinbread 55 up front. I use an Elf head into a RevSound RS8, which is similar in character to your current rig. I only have 2 pedals (Rocket Touch and Mooer Dumblr) and they both give me that hint of smooth tube clipping that I need. I also use one into my DV Marks with equal success, as long as the reverb is either off or barely on.
    Thanks so much yeah
    I had a listen to the Catalinbread 55
    and 5F6 pedal demos and they both sound
    fab to me ....
    and they work off a 9v battery

I’ve been using a Harley Benton
    american sound clone
    to warm up the clean amp
    it’s ok , but I’m not really loving it ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy;[URL="tel:1146861"
    1146861[/URL]]I have the Barefaced, but haven't tried the SB-US yet! The cab is ridiculously light and definitely loud!
    what amp are you using at the moment ?

User Info Menu

what amp are you using at the moment ?
    Ha! That changes weekly!

My main amp is my 20W, 6V6 tube head by Jack Anderson in Washington -- love Jack, love the amp!

I've also been playing through the Raezer's Edge Luna 200R, which is great with the Barefaced. [I just sold that to a member, and want the Luna 700 to use as a bass/guitar rig, since I actually gig on bass!]

If anyone has a Toob in the Western States, I'd love to see/hear it!

User Info Menu

Marc, quite a few Toobs in California but mostly 12R (rock) models. I doubt that these people are Forum members. Jazz and bass models (6.5, 10 and 12") are scattered around the country, with a concentration among pros in the NY Metropolitan area. I don't have an exact number to give, being away from my "office" right now, but overall, there's about 50 units in the US. The number has increased sharply over the past few months, following the introduction of Quilter SuperBlocks.

Cheers, Markku