The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 40 of 40

User Info Menu

One important thing that hasn't been addressed yet is, where and how long is the bow curve? Mostly around the lower frets (toward the nut)? Gradual on most of the length? Mostly around the higher frets or near the body? If it's the latter, walk away immediately!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Why won't the dealer adjust the truss rod? He's the one selling an archtop with an issue. I can't imagine a dealer taking an archtop in trade, or buying outright that wouldn't take steps to discover any and all issues of an archtop before listing it for sale. I don't buy from dealers, but isn't that the norm?
    The logical part of me agrees with you ... the empirical part of me has seen otherwise. I found an Epiphone ES295 at a reputable dealer and it had a massive twist in the neck and the tell-tale sign of the bridge being raised dramatically higher on one side and bottomed out on the other. I bought an L5 reissue remotely from a different place and it also had a neck twist. For whatever reason, it happens.

You could start modifying the neck by planing it, but then you are messing with the structure of the guitar and who knows if the wood will keep twisting or not. Don't make it your problem.

User Info Menu

My logic says, the ONLY attraction to THIS guitar is its price. Considering used 910's have sold for $17-$1800 it's not worth a $500 bill, to me, to determine if the neck on this archtop is salvageable. And that's the name of that tune, imo.

User Info Menu

I'm in the market for an archtop guitar. I stumbled upon a nice, second hand Eastman AR910CE.
    It has some minor dents and scratches and the tone-pot is not working (which can easily be fixed).
    The asking price is 1995,- euros (approximately 2380 dollars). What do you guys think? Would that be a good deal?
    Like to hear your comments...

Eastman AR910 CE Uptown Deluxe-1-jpgEastman AR910 CE Uptown Deluxe-2-jpgEastman AR910 CE Uptown Deluxe-3-jpg
    Last edited by Mr Green Genes; 03-18-2021 at 08:12 AM.

User Info Menu

That model seems to retail around $3330 new, so that seems like a reasonable asking price used. You’d also be reasonable to try to negotiate down a bit. I love my older AR810CE, which is basically the same guitar other than cosmetics and year-to-year variations. It has a lovely acoustic voice. You could probably find a used AR810CE for quite a bit less than that AR910CE, but the woods and finish are quite beautiful. Are you able to play it?

User Info Menu

Hmmm. I’d hesitate in paying $2400 for a 910CE that has issues. That’s a tall ask, and at the very top of the market for a used 910CE without any issues save for some lacquer checking that’s very common on these.

$2k max for that guitar imo. And when was the guitar built?

User Info Menu

Good deal. Try it out, as KirkP suggested. If it's anything like mine (I have the 7 string version, lots more dings and chips than that), the quality will be evident. If you're a player and it inspires you to make music, it's a bargain. If you're a collector, wait for something cosmetically perfect.
    I wouldn't sell mine for anything, and I consider it a rare find.
    One reason to try it out, the neck/fingerboard on mine is wider than on other brands I've tried. That works for me, I loved my Johnny Smith before I went 7 strings and that neck was also a little wider than usual.
    See if it's right. Your hands are the best judge.

User Info Menu

I don't have as much experience buying and selling as others here, but I'd sure consider it. If you like a lighter build and the airier sound this is it. Not sure you're going to find much else in the way of a 17 inch all solid, wood bound arch top with that kind of figure for that kind of money. And it's blonde!

But I can't be trusted. I paid that much for a 2007 AR880CE Pisano 5 years ago, and I'm very happy I did. I'll keep it always. The workmanship on mine is very very good.

User Info Menu

I remember back in 2010 when I bought an 810CE new. I compared it directly to the fancier 910CE. I preferred the 810CE tone and playability.
    The 910CE Blonde sure was pretty. But for me it's the sound and feel of any guitar that makes me choose it.

The Eastmans of that period were very easy to dent and scratch the light finish.
    I believe since 2015 or thereabouts they have improved their finishes quite a bit.
    The other consideration is they are quite thinner top and back compared to say a Gibson Johnny Smith or L-5C.
    That's not a bad thing but more prone to feedback since they resonate a bit more.
    They are based on the Bob Benedetto archtop book design.

A lot of guitar for the price.

User Info Menu

I have a AR910 CE custom that has nice big gibson block style position inlays and a slightly slimmer neck than stock. I replaced the pickup with a handwound KA 12 pole and the schatten tone/volume edge mount.

It is a truly remarkable instrument. Fantastic tone and playability and really lovely looks, there is nothing quite like a beautiful blond.

User Info Menu

Watch out for the tailpiece...I had same guitar and it split as it was being tuned at the shop. damaged the body and the replacement part from China took months. The crack looked like a stress fracture....bad casting at factory is what I suspect.

User Info Menu

Newbie here...Just purchased a 2007 AR910CE Blonde. Great condition with a few minor cosmetic dings.

My question. The finish on it is a very light satin, with the exception of the neck which is gloss. When I look at pictures of other '07, the finish looks like a high gloss. Anyone familiar w this year and
    model know what the factory finish was? Just curious...
    If the factory is high gloss, wondering if this was a custom order and if I could tell by researching the Serial number.

Any info would certainly be appreciated..thanks!
    Last edited by lasmith; 09-15-2021 at 05:56 PM.

User Info Menu

For what it is worth, I've owned almost every Eastman model, including a couple of AR-910's, and I've never seen an Eastman archtop with anything but a high gloss finish.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzWhiteBelt
    For what it is worth, I've owned almost every Eastman model, including a couple of AR-910's, and I've never seen an Eastman archtop with anything but a high gloss finish.
    Interesting..thanks! I tried taking a picture, but it doesn't really show the finish. I do like the satin finish, (or whatever it is), but I did think it was different from any others I had seen.

User Info Menu

The early Eastmans had a violin finish. At the time the guitars were a side project of a violin company. My 2006 AR-810CE has a high-gloss lacquer finish, but they still offered violin finish at the time. I don’t recall if the violin finish was high gloss.