User Info Menu

I know these old Norlin Lab Series amps have been discussed here before. I believe our very knowledgeable member, Greentone, knows all about them. I have an L3 (single channel, 60W, one 12” speaker). Many years ago, I put a JBL D-120 speaker in my L3 and I ended up letting the original speaker go with another amp. The amp sounds great, but I am wondering if the JBL is really the best choice for this amp. A Google search turned up a number of threads where people said they put 4 ohm speakers in this model. It seems that the original speaker may have been a CTS, but I can’t seem to find out if it would have been 4 ohms or 8 ohms. My JBL is 8 ohms. Does anyone know what the amp was designed to use? And, if I did go for a 4 ohm speaker, how would that affect the performance of the amp?
    Thanks in advance,
    Keith

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I know these old Norlin Lab Series amps have been discussed here before. I believe our very knowledgeable member, Greentone, knows all about them. I have an L3 (single channel, 60W, one 12” speaker). Many years ago, I put a JBL D-120 speaker in my L3 and I ended up letting the original speaker go with another amp. The amp sounds great, but I am wondering if the JBL is really the best choice for this amp. A Google search turned up a number of threads where people said they put 4 ohm speakers in this model. It seems that the original speaker may have been a CTS, but I can’t seem to find out if it would have been 4 ohms or 8 ohms. My JBL is 8 ohms. Does anyone know what the amp was designed to use? And, if I did go for a 4 ohm speaker, how would that affect the performance of the amp?
    Thanks in advance,
    Keith
    I’ve got a service manual and even that doesn’t list the expected speaker impedance. I’ve owned an L5 and and L3, and in both cases, the stock CTS speakers sounded really good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I’ve got a service manual and even that doesn’t list the expected speaker impedance. I’ve owned an L5 and and L3, and in both cases, the stock CTS speakers sounded really good.
    A couple of guys on the TDPRI forum have assured me that the original speaker was 4 ohms. They recommended a Celestion G12 Hot 100 4 Ohm speaker as a suitable replacement. A shop right here in town has that speaker in stock so I think I’ll give it a try. Funny thing, I still have the original schematic and it doesn’t indicate the speaker impedance, but one of the guys on the TDPRI forum shared his schematic, which says 4 ohms (image attached) Lab Series L3 speaker question-46a82aea-a5f8-473e-bd8c-dcea11d27df0-png