The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

WIth Fender”s newest price hike, now seems to be the time to cash out my upgraded Supersonic 22. I have about $1100 in it (paid $674 new, upgraded speaker, upgraded tubes including NOS preamp tubes and kickback legs). New stock ones now go for $1399. Seems like I can get what I have in it.

I am leaning towards a Quilter Mach2 Combo10. Anyone have any experience with these? In this price range, is there anything better for jazz?

I am looking for something for solo guitar in small clubs, wine tasting rooms and coffee bars. I play jazz standards and some finger-style transcriptions of pop tunes. Maybe the occasional jam with my brother.

BTW: I am on my 2nd DV Mark Little Jazz. It is on its way to the dumpster having developed distortion on anything played above the 7th fret. I am looking for a reliable pro-quality amp. Despite having done a lot of work on the SS22, I am looking for something functional out of the box.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Alder Statesman; 09-13-2021 at 12:29 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've been very happy with my Henricksen BUD in the past 5 years and it's my go-to amp for just that type of gig. Small footprint, un-obtrusive, extended EQ section, all the ins and outs you need, switchable tweeter, light weight- what's not to like ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alder Statesman
    WIth Fender”s newest price hike, now seems to be the time to cash out my upgraded Supersonic 22. I have about $1100 in it (paid $674 new, upgraded speaker, upgraded tubes including NOS preamp tubes and kickback legs). New stock ones now go for $1399. Seems like I can get what I have in it. ...
    I don't question your desire for a new amp, but I don't understand your reasoning.

The amp you have is paid for, right? If so, what do Fender's new prices have to do with anything? You've already sunk the money into the Supersonic, so the price increases won't affect you if you keep the amp; in fact it won't cost you much of anything to keep the amp. Perhaps you have another reason to discard the Supersonic that you don't say.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dconeill
    I don't question your desire for a new amp, but I don't understand your reasoning.

The amp you have is paid for, right? If so, what do Fender's new prices have to do with anything? You've already sunk the money into the Supersonic, so the price increases won't affect you if you keep the amp; in fact it won't cost you much of anything to keep the amp. Perhaps you have another reason to discard the Supersonic that you don't say.
    I'm assuming he's looking to sell the Fender to use the money for a new amp. That's how alot of us rotate gear. And in this case, while I don't think he'll get 1100 for it, he won't lose much on the sale. So, effectively, he rented a Fender Supersonic 20 for however long he had it, at whatever the loss will be when he sells it... for example, if he sells it for 1000, he just rented a SS22 for $100, for how ever many years he had it, and will have the money (or most of it?) to buy another amp to try for awhile. Sounds good to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    I'm assuming he's looking to sell the Fender to use the money for a new amp. That's how alot of us rotate gear. And in this case, while I don't think he'll get 1100 for it, he won't lose much on the sale. So, effectively, he rented a Fender Supersonic 20 for however long he had it, at whatever the loss will be when he sells it... for example, if he sells it for 1000, he just rented a SS22 for $100, for how ever many years he had it, and will have the money (or most of it?) to buy another amp to try for awhile. Sounds good to me.
    Exactly. I have “horse traded” my gear my entire life. The goal is to get something new with little, if anything, out of pocket. Long story, but while I paid $674 for the SS22, most of that was covered by the trade in of a Mustang IV V2 that I had just $250 into.

User Info Menu

?Has the price of a Supersonic doubled since you bought yours?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    ?Has the price of a Supersonic doubled since you bought yours?
    No, they were never sold new at the price he bought his for; IDK what kind of deal he got- if it was a demo, or what... but the Supersonic 22 retailed for I think $999-$1199 when the first came out, I can't remember. But he got a great deal on a new one somehow.

User Info Menu

+1 on a Henriksen Bud or Blu. The Henriksen has become my go to gigging amp. It checks all the boxes for a jazz guitarist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    No, they were never sold new at the price he bought his for; IDK what kind of deal he got- if it was a demo, or what... but the Supersonic 22 retailed for I think $999-$1199 when the first came out, I can't remember. But he got a great deal on a new one somehow.
    In early 2016 GC selling new boxed units off the floor for $674, but online they were $1099. Today online they are $1399. What they are going for off the floor I do not know. They have not had a new SS22 in the Asheville store in years.

Got an exceptional deal on MIVV2. Was given it as a warranty replacement by accident for a Frontman 212r I paid $250 for new. At the time the Mustang went for $499. I offered to pay the difference, but Fender told me just to keep it.

User Info Menu

For jazz I have been using a Quilter 8, a Quilter 12HD, and a Hen Bud 6. All are great.

As far as the Quilters, unless you really desire a 10" speaker, I'd recommend the 8". Has a lot of clarity (it uses a pa speaker), with the same power, and is smaller and lighter.

As far as the Bud goes, if you only need one channel, you can save a few hundred $ by going with the Blu version.

User Info Menu

I cannot add much to the discussion but I am worried about my DV Mark Little Jazz. I haven't had it that long and so far I have not had any issues, but I am now worried it will not hold up to the test of time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    I cannot add much to the discussion but I am worried about my DV Mark Little Jazz. I haven't had it that long and so far I have not had any issues, but I am now worried it will not hold up to the test of time.
    My Jazz 12 (same electronics as the Little Jazz) has been fine in our club’s backline since purchase when they first came out. I don’t remember how many years ago it was, but it was probably at least 5 or 6. Most of the acts playing there are blues, with about a third being jazz or world music. Interestingly enough, the Mark is the favorite of harmonica players - and they seem to like being the loudest instrument on stage. Few blues guitarists go near it, although it’s very pedal-friendly. I played my LP 7 string through it last week with my Rocket Touch pedal and loved it. And I use it with my Ibanez AF207 for our jazz trio’s weekly Thursday night show.

It’s in the line with a Vibrolux, a Princeton reverb, a Blues Deluxe, a heavily modded (6V6s) Blues Junior, and a Peavey Bandit. The Deluxe has crapped out on us several times in the past several years and the Vibrolux once. The Junior’s had more surgery and attention than Phyllis Diller. But the Mark 12 and my Little Jazz (kept at home and used daily) have both been perfect.

I’m not losing any sleep over it. The occasional electronics failure is going to happen, but many many Marks are out there with a good record of reliability, so the probability is low. As much as I’d like one, I can’t justify spending 3+ times the cost of my Little Jazz on a Bud or Quilter.

User Info Menu

WIth Fender”s newest price hike, now seems to be the time to cash out my upgraded Supersonic 22. I have about $1100 in it (paid $674 new, upgraded speaker, upgraded tubes including NOS preamp tubes and kickback legs). New stock ones now go for $1399. Seems like I can get what I have in it.

I am leaning towards a Quilter Mach2 Combo10. Anyone have any experience with these? In this price range, is there anything better for jazz?

I am looking for something for solo guitar in small clubs, wine tasting rooms and coffee bars. I play jazz standards and some finger-style transcriptions of pop tunes. Maybe the occasional jam with my brother.

BTW: I am on my 2nd DV Mark Little Jazz. It is on its way to the dumpster having developed distortion on anything played above the 7th fret. I am looking for a reliable pro-quality amp. Despite having done a lot of work on the SS22, I am looking for something functional out of the box.

Thanks!
    . I'm going to recommend the Bose Compact because it works well in the settings you described. It's light and easy to deal with, and throws the sound 180 degrees so there are no hot spots or feedback. Add a small processor for EQ and effects or a couple of pedals, since the Bose doesn't have effects. There is also a mic input, and stereo inputs for an iPod for breaks, as well as a 1/4" output for taking to the house PA if needed.

User Info Menu

I think I'm approaching three years on my LJ with no problems of any kind. Probably 1500 hours on it so far.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    I think I'm approaching three years on my LJ with no problems of any kind. Probably 1500 hours on it so far.
    Wish I was so lucky.

User Info Menu

Wish I was so lucky.
    sorry to hear that yours is troublesome.

Any idea on what is causing the distortion?

User Info Menu

You really have to check out a Mambo Amp.

I got my 10" wedge through a couple of weeks ago, and I'm utterly in love with it.

Warm and sweet, tonnes of headroom, super portable and a very useable reverb.

Latest ones have three switchable tone-stack circuit: a Fender mid-scoop one, a standard one, and a Polytone one. The Fender one does it for me.

Jon from Mambo amps is a really great guy too.

User Info Menu

Just to throw a fly in the ointment, I've been toying around with "acoustic" amps for archtop jazz. I think they sound fab, the high-end sparkle. I have two of Jeff Genzler's amps, the Pro and the Mini. Was trying the Fishmans, and they sound great, but I think Jeff has hit it out of the park with these.
    If you're talking about smaller gigs, I've used the Mini for huge church services and music theater.

Bass Amplification Archives - Genzler Amplification

User Info Menu

I have a Quilter Tone Block 202 which sounds great and a custom 1x12 speaker cab for it. A) Depending on where you are, let me know if interested. It's listed here in The Gear Page Emporium: FS - Complete Gig Ready Package! Quilter Tone Block 202, Ear Fuzz 1x12 cab with Eminence! LOOK! | The Gear Page

or B) Maybe check out the Quilter Aviator Cub. Less expensive as a combo, albeit less powerful.

User Info Menu

Quilter is the all around best choice! Aviator1x8" combo used. The second channel can accommodate a microphone easily, or a different instrument
    Fender like Cleans, always sonds the same no matter the the voltage at the venue
    Light Weight, can add another cab for louder Rock gigs.

I've been gigging Quilters for over 5 years, and don't miss tunes at all!
    Every gig imaginable Jazz, Rock, Blues, Indoors, Outdoors!

They don't make the the Aviator any longer so used isthmus way to go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Just to throw a fly in the ointment, I've been toying around with "acoustic" amps for archtop jazz. I think they sound fab, the high-end sparkle. I have two of Jeff Genzler's amps, the Pro and the Mini. Was trying the Fishmans, and they sound great, but I think Jeff has hit it out of the park with these.
    If you're talking about smaller gigs, I've used the Mini for huge church services and music theater.

Bass Amplification Archives - Genzler Amplification
    I have used my Acoustic AG-30 for some gigs and it sounds very good. It can be very rich and sweet sounding. The built in effects are better than I would have expected.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    sorry to hear that yours is troublesome.

Any idea on what is causing the distortion?
    i think it is cold solder joints. I opened it up a year ago when it starting acting up and touched up a couple joints. It functioned okay until recently when the distortion returned.

User Info Menu

i think it is cold solder joints. I opened it up a year ago when it starting acting up and touched up a couple joints. It functioned okay until recently when the distortion returned.
    From the outside, it looks like an amp which has the input jack and pots soldered into the circuit board.

Typically, in my experience, that's where you have problems. Eventually, things loosen up just enough that using the amp puts mechanical stress on the the solder joints where those parts are connected.

I have thought about putting a permanent right angle plug in the input jack and having a female at the other end of a short cable. Then, taping it to the amp and always plugging into that.

User Info Menu

You can see the interior in this thread from last year.

It seems to be held together with blobs of ectoplasm.

Who you gonna call?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    I have used my Acoustic AG-30 for some gigs and it sounds very good. It can be very rich and sweet sounding. The built in effects are better than I would have expected.
    Nice, they are really cheap amps, correct? My Genzler Pro was around the same price as a Henriksen.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 09-16-2021 at 11:02 AM.