The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 47

User Info Menu

I'm looking for a way to cycle with a hardshell.

For this I'm looking for a solution to strap a hardshell case (ideally the one that came with the guitar) to my back, and preferably make it a bit more resistant against rain, as well as possibly offering some extra storing space for gear.

I found backpack straps in combination with a rain cover (e.g. Guitar Hard Case Backpack Carrying System with Adjustable Straps

– Baggex Store
    +Thomann Rain Cover E-Guitar Gig Bag – Thomann UK)

Ideally I guess I am looking for a gigbag suitable for hardshell cases, but found little to no options.

I would love to hear about your experience and solutions, cheers!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Just found THIS :
    Ortega Case Backpack Strap – Musikhaus Thomann

and THIS
    Guitar Hard Case Backpack Carrying System with Adjustable Straps

– Baggex Store

Took me all but 3 minutes ..... the www is your friend !

User Info Menu

If you plan to do that for the long term, I'd invest in a good gig bag like a Mono or a Reunion Blues. I cycle and ride a scooter with guitars a lot and this works quite well.

@gitman

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed I found such solutions, as indicated in my initial post. Moreover, if I understand correctly you refer to a product that I also mentioned.

However, neither of the products you mentioned fit the bill of a gig bag for a hardshell.

Moreover, I am interested to hearing from people who might be in a similar situation.

@joeontheguitar

Thanks for your reply.

Am I understanding correctly that these bags do not fit a hardshell case, but instead should be used in lieu of one?

Cheers

User Info Menu

Try googling "Insulated guitar case covers"? There was a good company Colorado Case Covers that is unfortunately out of business. These look similar, but seem a bit overpriced. https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/ca...oWVyMxRiGI0MDA

PK

That looks exactly like the type of solution I'm looking for, thanks!

The price though is indeed... impressive...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bazz
    @gitman

Thanks for your reply.

Indeed I found such solutions, as indicated in my initial post. Moreover, if I understand correctly you refer to a product that I also mentioned.

However, neither of the products you mentioned fit the bill of a gig bag for a hardshell.

Moreover, I am interested to hearing from people who might be in a similar situation.

bam 8002H Flight Cover Classical – Thomann UK

@gitman

Thanks for following up.

Indeed while browsing through the Thomann website I didn't come across this product, thanks!

However, unfortunately I'm not sure if this product fits my needs as well as I would like, as if I understand correctly this is a flight case which only fits BAM hardshells.

Ideally I am looking for a (preferably a bit more affordable) solution for the stock hardsell for a d'Angelico Excel SS. Moreover, I am mostly looking for portability and rain protection, and this flight case seems to offers much more protection (i.e. weight and bulk) than that.

User Info Menu

This BAM thingy is meant as an extra protection for cases that are stored with the rest of the cargo when flying.
    Your best bet : go to > studioslips.com < and have them sew you a padded case-cover with O-rings for shoulderstraps. They need a drawing and the measurements of the case but that's easy enough ...

Thanks again for your reply.

I am surprise to find this doesn't seem to be a regular use case, as the options for a gig bag around a hardshell seem to be limited.

Another thing I came across is more of a hybrid gigbag: Mono Cases Vertigo Semi Hollow – Thomann Nederland

User Info Menu

you might want to have a look at Caseadillo's Guitar Case Cover - Caseadillo Case Covers I've got one, very happy with the quality - not sure how waterproof it is. But know for sure (from my own experience unfortunately ) that Reunion Blues is not

User Info Menu

I second the recommendation to look at reinforced gig bags. I only use them, and don't have any hardshell cases (no room to store 2 cases per guitar, so if a guitar I acquire comes with hardshell the case finds a new home). I've posted a number of comments/reviews of different bags here, most recently this thread., if you want to see some details of different options.

From what I can see in the ads, those "caseadillo" covers are expensive and add weight and awkwardness, probably take up as much storage space as a good gig bag, and cost more than many). So they don't strike me as a great solution. I know people who have used the basic strap systems with hardshell cases -- those guys all switched to gig bags. I have literally not seen a hardshell case at a jam session or gig in my neck of the woods (NYC) in years. Gig bags really are the best solution to carrying around a guitar, except in cases where you truly need the protected by a rigid case.

User Info Menu

I'd just look for a solid gigbag for cycling. With a case in a gigbag you'd be adding extra weight. And I guess if you're cycling to the gig the venue is not too rough?

@guavajelly For now it would mainly be to cycle from my place to my guitar teacher. As that's about a 20 minute bike ride I wouldn't mind the weight too much. However I would very much like to carry it the guitar on my back, and for it to be protected against the elements.

@John A. Excellent, thanks for your reply and link to your review.

It sounds like you exactly describe your experience with the use case I have in mind.

From what I gather from your review is that the Mono M80 and the Reunion Blues Continental are pretty much the industry standard when it comes to rigid gig bags.

Since you mentioned Music Area in your review: I saw that they paired up with Thomann to develop a case: Thomann SafeCase 80 E-Guitar Bag – Thomann Nederland

One thing that worries me at this point is the angle of the headstock of the guitar: Excel SS (Discontinued) - D'Angelico Guitars

From the reviews I gather that there is a possibility it will snap when accidentally dropped.

User Info Menu

@Craiguitar Thanks for your reply. Indeed I found this product but little to no reviews. Moreover, it doesn't offer rain coverage and it seems to ride very low on your back which looks like it would be a problem while cycling.

User Info Menu

@John A. Excellent, thanks for your reply and link to your review.

It sounds like you exactly describe your experience with the use case I have in mind.

From what I gather from your review is that the Mono M80 and the Reunion Blues Continental are pretty much the industry standard when it comes to rigid gig bags.
    I think so. They're definitely what I see most often around town.

Since you mentioned Music Area in your review: I saw that they paired up with Thomann to develop a case: Thomann SafeCase 80 E-Guitar Bag – Thomann Nederland
    That looks like the same construction as what I have, and should be a good option. These are very good cases.

One thing that worries me at this point is the angle of the headstock of the guitar: Excel SS (Discontinued) - D'Angelico Guitars

From the reviews I gather that there is a possibility it will snap when accidentally dropped.
    FWIW, I have a D'Angelico EX DC, which has the same headstock. These are somewhat less angled than a Gibson (which are notorious for broken headstocks), so somewhat less vulnerable to headstock breaks. But there's some risk there if it falls (especially if it's not in a case). I think the RB, Mono, and MA all protect it in a fall better than a standard hard case does because of the way their neck supports are made, because you can strap the guitar to the support, and because the padding offers better protection in a fall than the minimal padding inside a hardshell case. Carrying it on your shoulders/back is also inherently safer than holding it by a handle. IMO, the only way in which a regular plywood hardshell case protects better is against something heavy being placed on top of it. Otherwise, I trust my gig bags more than the hard cases I've had. FWIW, I once dropped a Gibson acoustic in my Mono M80, and it was fine. The original Lifton case with the guitar bouncing around inside against nothing more than some fuzzy cloth? Yikes. Still, it's definitely a better idea to not drop the guitar than to assume a case will completely protect it from damage.
    Last edited by John A.; 09-16-2021 at 04:08 PM.

User Info Menu

@joeontheguitar

Thanks for your reply.

Am I understanding correctly that these bags do not fit a hardshell case, but instead should be used in lieu of one?

Cheers
    You're correct. Because of the low mass of the gig bag and the cushioning plus exoskeleton, for simple drops they offer more protection than hardcases. For other impact (standing on it, an amp crashing into it) a hardcase will offer more protection.
    If I needed to check a guitar in an airplane (I won't fly until there's synthetic kerosene) I'd probably go with my Mono.

If you decide to go with Mono: I secured the backpack strap clips with tie-raps so they can never accidentally snap off.

@John A. Great, thanks again for sharing your experience, especially regarding the d'Angelico headstock!

@Joeontheguitar Yeah that makes sense. I am happy to hear the consensus regarding reinforced gig bags, in particular Mono and the like. Also thanks for the tip regarding the cable ties!

Furthermore, glad to hear you won't fly before an acceptable alternative for fossil kerosene is used. I'm also holding off on flying for the same reason.

I see that Mono has a number of different series and editions (i.e. M80 classic, M80 sleeve, Stealth, Vertigo, and Vertigo Semi-Hollow). I reckon that the latter would be the best case (pun intended) for a semi-hollow d'Angelico Excel SS.

User Info Menu

I can recommend the Mono Vertigo. i have one for my semi and one for the archtop. I trust their protection and the backstraps are very comfortable. Their unique selling point IMHO is the top loading system – very handy at tight stages or rehearsal rooms.

@guavajelly Excellent, thanks for sharing your specific experience regarding semi-hollows!

User Info Menu

I use a MONO Vertigo Semi-Hollow for my Ibanez GB15 guitar - a perfect fit despite the GB's deeper body. It's also a very sturdy guitar so I have absolutely no fear transporting the guitar in this bag, be it by car, on the bike or around the venue, school etc.