The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47

User Info Menu

The DA Excel SS will fit for sure in the semi-hollow Vertigo. I have the same bag and I think the DA is roughly the same size as the Eastman Romeo which fits nicely. The bag is made to fit a 330/335 type, so there's a little extra room probably.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

@gitman and Joeontheguitar: Thanks for sharing your experience!

Given all the positive experiences regarding the Mono Vertigo Semi-Hollow in general and in this thread specifically, I'm pretty convinced to go for this one.

I was surprised to see though that the top review on Amazon was pretty negative regarding its build quality: Amazon.com

Upon closer investigation this review concerns the bass case, though I wonder whether Mono perhaps swapped some materials for cheaper ones in their more recent batches...

User Info Menu

My ES-175 travels nowadays in a Protection Racket soft case. Made in UK, I believe. Cheaper than Mono but at least my guitars have survived in it.

I don’t recall the model, I believe it was that ’acoustic guitar standard case’.

Acoustic Guitar - Protection Racket

@Herbie: Thanks for introducing this alternative!

I found a comparison between the Mono and the Reunion:

To me it sounds convincing that rubbing and scraping against the case while moving the guitar in and out of the mono can affect the durability of the case, as well as the finish on the guitar. As discussed in this thread though, the issue with the headstock is probably not as bad with the d'Angelico as with the Gibson.

Lastly, as I'll be riding a so-called 'omafiets' I would probably prefer a bag that sits higher on the back due to the height of the luggage carrier on the back of the bike:

Gigbag/backpack strap and raincover for hardshell?-1280px-gazelle_omafahrrad_series_-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Also consider the ‘softcase’ options.

This is me cycling to the gig with my 1950 ES-125 in its softcase while also transporting a guitar amp and a small PA…. (When I don’t have to carry the PA I leave the cart at home and strap my amp to the front luggage carrier).

Btw, the case rests on the back luggage carrier while cycling. Works like a charm and it doesn’t seem to get damaged by that.

@Little Jay oh oh Den Haag!

Thanks for sharing your setup, indeed this looks like a similar setup I have in mind, i.e. cycling on an omafiets with a guitar on my back.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of question after seeing your picture:

- To be sure: When you say soft case, do you mean gig bag?
    - What type of soft case are you using?
    - Judging from the picture it looks like the soft case is hanging fairly low (like the mono vertigo). Doesn't the case come in contact with the luggage carrier on the back of the bike? EDIT: Just saw the last sentence below the picture which answers this question, my bad.
    - How does your setup hold up in the rain, seeing we're in the Netherlands and all...

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Nice bicycle You got bazz!

And Little Jay, You are a pro! A guitarists and a Nederlandische truck driver in same package!

Here is a pic of my Protection Racket sof case in my back. Maybe a bit higher than some other cases?

Gigbag/backpack strap and raincover for hardshell?-protectionracket-jpg

I have been dreaming lately about finding a soft case for my Tweed Deluxe sized Quilter TB202 powered combo. If I could carry it on my back and the guitar & pedals in their soft cases in my hands I could travel to gigs by bus and train. But apparently there is no such things, some guitar dealer suggested an accordion rack! A trolley bag might be too clumsy in this case, I don't know.

Protection Racket is possibly better known amongst the drummers, there is not many reviews available in the net. I was told about it by a local pro guitarist, he gave it a fine review: "buy it, it is good!"

@Herbie: Thanks for showing how the case fits on your back!

Do you cycle with that as well, and if so: does your bike have a luggage carrier on the back and does the bag rest on it?

As for my bike: the picture is actually from wikipedia haha but mine is very similar!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bazz
    @Herbie: Thanks for showing how the case fits on your back!
    Do you cycle with that as well, and if so: does your bike have a luggage carrier on the back and does the bag rest on it?
    As for my bike: the picture is actually from wikipedia haha but mine is very similar!
    Yes, I cycle with that.

No, I do not have a luggage carrier. We used to have one for our children but then they grew up.

@Herbie Ok thanks for clarifying. How does it handle rain? Also indeed reviews seem to be sparse for their guitar cases, would you happen to have experience with other cases you can compare it with? Cheers!

User Info Menu

Sorry, I have not experience about the rain proof of the case.

Below is my Sunny Day Mobile and behind it is my Rainy Day Mobile.

We in Finland have sometimes old fashioned winters with snow and freeze, then the car is very needed.

Gigbag/backpack strap and raincover for hardshell?-fillari-jpg

I have not experience in very many sof cases. I just bought a Mono Vertigo for my solid body guitars but I have not used it enough to say anything about it.

@Herby Fair haha! Though it seems to me that your sunny day mobile does have a luggage carrier on the back, no? Perhaps I'm using the wrong term in English, I basically mean the structure over the back wheel that allows you to carry luggage.

User Info Menu

@Herby Fair haha! Though it seems to me that your sunny day mobile does have a luggage carrier on the back, no? Perhaps I'm using the wrong term in English, I basically mean the structure over the back wheel that allows you to carry luggage.
    Oh, now I get it! I thought that You meant a similar carriage that Little Jay had for his PA system!

No, the soft case does not rest in the behind structure of my bike when I ride! If I had there for example my pedal case, then it might rest there.

@Herby Ok great, thanks for clarifying!

User Info Menu

I'm a little late, but you can try this, which seems to be exactly what you described in the OP:
    MUNDO AIRPANNIER – Mundo Music Gear
    I have no experience with it, but it was apparently designed to carry guitars in hard cases on bicycles. I do have their guitar support, and it's an excellent design. Customer support is first-rate.

@ sgosnell thanks for introducing this alternative!

This looks incredible, though my lizard brain keeps screaming this looks very insecure despite the demonstrations in the video haha

I'll keep this in mind as it looks perfect for when I have something rugged to transport.

However, it looks like it could potentially damage something more delicate e.g. the outside of a case/gigbag when rubbing against the metal of the bike.

Moreover, preferably I'm looking for a solution disconnected from the bike in order to reduce the vibrations of cycling over e.g. cobblestones

User Info Menu

@ sgosnell thanks for introducing this alternative!

This looks incredible, though my lizard brain keeps screaming this looks very insecure despite the demonstrations in the video haha

I'll keep this in mind as it looks perfect for when I have something rugged to transport.

However, it looks like it could potentially damage something more delicate e.g. the outside of a case/gigbag when rubbing against the metal of the bike.

Moreover, preferably I'm looking for a solution disconnected from the bike in order to reduce the vibrations of cycling over e.g. cobblestones
    I think more importantly you'd have to make sure it can fit your specific bicycle. Not all bikes can handle panniers because on some the chainstays (the horizontal tube that the rear wheel attaches to) are too short, and your feet wind up hitting the panniers. More of an issue with more sport oriented bikes, but measure once cut twice ... You definitely wouldn't want to risk literally kicking your guitar off the back of your bike.

User Info Menu

The Mono will fit on that bike. I use it on my scooter and bike. On the scooter it rests on the buddy seat behind me and I just push it against the top case. With the RB case you might walk into the upper door post, even more so on trams and trains maybe.
    The Mono can handle a bit of rain. I've taken it on 20 minute rides (at 55 km/h) and it works. When it really pours I put an extra bag over the top part of the bag that extends behind my head. The rest is covered by my back.
    The top loading feature might scratch the finish in the long run, but I think the occasional buckle will do much more damage.

@John A. That mental picture alone just gave me preemptive PTSD haha!

@Joeontheguitar Yeah I feel I kind of have a catch-22 on my hands, where I'd rather not have the guitar rest on the luggage carrier but also not hit the top of the guitar when going through doorways...

Regarding the latter, luckily I'm not super tall

User Info Menu

@Little Jay oh oh Den Haag!

Thanks for sharing your setup, indeed this looks like a similar setup I have in mind, i.e. cycling on an omafiets with a guitar on my back.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of question after seeing your picture:

- To be sure: When you say soft case, do you mean gig bag?
    - What type of soft case are you using?
    - Judging from the picture it looks like the soft case is hanging fairly low (like the mono vertigo). Doesn't the case come in contact with the luggage carrier on the back of the bike? EDIT: Just saw the last sentence below the picture which answers this question, my bad.
    - How does your setup hold up in the rain, seeing we're in the Netherlands and all...

Cheers!
    Mooie stad achter de duinûh! ;-)

Sofftcase is like a hard gigbag. Sometimes referred to as foam-case. A polystyrene form-case in a soft fabric covering with back straps. Here are some examples:

SKB 1SKB-SC30 Thin-line/Classical – Thomann Nederland

SKB 1SKB-SC18 Dreadnought Case – Thomann Nederland

Gator Foam Case Dreadnought-12 – Thomann Nederland

Harley Benton LightCase-Dreadnought – Thomann Nederland

Ibanez Acoustic Guitar Case FS40DA – Thomann Nederland

They offer almost the same, if not better, protection as a hard case, while being very light and portable with the additional advantage of having storage for sheet music and accessories.

Mine is an unbranded cheaper variety that I picked up for €25 from Marktplaats, the Dutch flea-bay site. It protects very well, but the fabric and the back straps are on the cheap site and are wearing, I’ll soon have to upgrade, but considering it’s price it held up well under heavy use (2/3 times a week) for 4 or 5 years now. It will last a little longer even.

It does seem to be water-proof! I guess if you spray it with a silicone spray it will be for sure. I have an improvised raincover for the cart.

User Info Menu

(Deleted - was posted twice for some reason)
    Last edited by Little Jay; 09-29-2021 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Double post