The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

I've just woken up at 4:00am to make a 10 hour round trip to Scotland from Windsor, to purchase a used Campellone Deluxe in a service station.

How is it going to go?

Stay tuned to find out!

4:30am For An NGD-_86-1-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gorgeous -- congrats!!

User Info Menu

Bring it back! Scotland needs it!

User Info Menu

I would like to know more about the service station.

User Info Menu

Definitely worth the early rise and the trip. Best of luck!

User Info Menu

Nice. I would drive 10 hours for that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cmajor9
    Definitely worth the early rise and the trip. Best of luck!
    My Thoughts exactly.

User Info Menu

When I was a lad Dad was getting free getaways from service stations. I am glad they have started this again.

Enjoy your new archtop.

PS: just tell me when they'll also start again in France. I love Scoland but it's quite a trip to get there.

User Info Menu

Ok So 10 hours and a Sunday roast in the lake district and I am tired, stuffed and with Campellone.

There were a couple of bits the seller didn't mention and I would have haggled over them if I had the upper hand but when you've driven 5 hours, your negotiating position isn't very strong.

There's a bit of a lacquer issue around the neck join, were I suspect the neck heel has swollen slightly on compression to the body and there's a little bit of marking to the binding, on the backside of the body but other than that, she's really clean.
    I was however expecting it to be in perfect condition, so I was a little disappointed.

I once drove 7 hours for an Epiphone that I refused due to the neck being too bent, so going up I was pretty anxious. Plus the 4 hours sleep I managed to get prior to the journey.

If I sell a guitar, I tell you exactly what condition is. That way you get no surprises. It seems though that about 75% of people I deal with, are not either able to accurately describe the condition of a guitar, or they feel the things that would interest me, aren't worth mentioning.

Anyway you tuned in for jubilation, so here it is.

Better pics will follow.

4:30am For An NGD-img_7786-jpeg

4:30am For An NGD-img_7787-jpeg

4:30am For An NGD-img_7788-jpeg

4:30am For An NGD-img_7792-jpeg

4:30am For An NGD-img_7790-jpeg

4:30am For An NGD-img_7791-jpeg

4:30am For An NGD-img_7789-jpeg

4:30am For An NGD-6dfc21ef-fc4c-482c-8d80-727216561b9c-jpeg

User Info Menu

Welcome to the Campellone club! Looks great. Is that an Armstrong floater?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    Welcome to the Campellone club! Looks great. Is that an Armstrong floater?
    I believe so.

I will probably replace it with a Dearmond Rhythm Chief

Not a fan of the black pickup look.

And thanks! I never thought I would become a member of the Campellone club but here we are.

I'm also a member of the Guild 'Johnny Smith' Award club, which I think consists of one member in the UK!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven

I'm also a member of the Guild 'Johnny Smith' Award club, which I think consists of one member in the UK!
    London jazz guitarist Dave Warren has one too!

4:30am For An NGD-unnamed-4-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B

Aha! That could be the blonde one shipped from Guild with the SB I have.
    The last two made were shipped to the UK. I thought the blonde ended up back in the US.
    Either that or he bought it from the U:S or Canada.

That looks like the minty sold a few years ago in Canada but pictures tell a thousand lies.

User Info Menu

That is a beautiful guitar for sure. The neck lacquer bit is a non issue of course and I probably would not negotiate a better price if it was a fair price, if that makes sense. Yes you now have joined the Campy Club and these Campallones are the real deal. Of all the speculation in the boutique guitar market I believe Mark's guitars will be some of the best values that will maintain on going. In the mean time of course you get to play this gem and now we need the full run down how is sounds. Give all the details and compare it to the AA. Great Job!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    That is a beautiful guitar for sure. The neck lacquer bit is a non issue of course and I probably would not negotiate a better price if it was a fair price, if that makes sense. Yes you now have joined the Campy Club and these Campallones are the real deal. Of all the speculation in the boutique guitar market I believe Mark's guitars will be some of the best values that will maintain on going. In the mean time of course you get to play this gem and now we need the full run down how is sounds. Give all the details and compare it to the AA. Great Job!
    Deacon you're right. I did get it for a very good price and didn't have the heart to put up a fuss.
    Always been jealous of watching you guys in the US with your Campy''s and fine Archtops. Something had to be done

I can say regarding the Guild JS Award that the GJSA has as a very round, nutty tone, where the Campellone has a brighter, more delicate tone. That's not to say the GJSA doesn't but the Campellone has that tightness inherent in newer built guitars.

I'll certainly put something together to show what I mean. Of course comparing a 20 year old closet queen spruce top, to a well played 60 year old one, is not fair on the former.
    The Campellone in another 30 years of good playing, will be legendary. Absolutely no doubt about it.

User Info Menu

My Campy sounds more on the Gibson level for sure. To me, and mine is an 18 inch, it is a Super 400 but with a much more detailed sound in each note in chords especially. It does not have the huge bite of my 18 inch Hollenbeck on the first hit of the strings but remains active in decay. Not as bright and jangling as a Super 400 from say the late 30's and 40's but that would be expected and not something I specifically go for.

Basically in a Campellone you have a Gibson on steroids. The Campy's are illegally doped up and cannot pass the mandatory drug test because Mark has been in the wood and carved them to respond to the touch. Gibson's are fine but with the Campy you just get more detailed attention and one would expect them to produce a bit more glamor. Guild AA are fine guitars but to me they just never quite respond like a well carved Gibson and they are a bit subdued in over all tone. That to some ears can be the best sound. In the end it is all about the user end of the deal. Our ears hear in a guitar what they hear and it is individual to the player. So since todays is the Lord's day I might preach............the Lord speaks to each of us individually in voice. So too our guitars................you got a blessing too.......... in these guitars for Him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    My Campy sounds more on the Gibson level for sure. To me, and mine is an 18 inch, it is a Super 400 but with a much more detailed sound in each note in chords especially. It does not have the huge bite of my 18 inch Hollenbeck on the first hit of the strings but remains active in decay. Not as bright and jangling as a Super 400 from say the late 30's and 40's but that would be expected and not something I specifically go for.

Basically in a Campellone you have a Gibson on steroids. The Campy's are illegally doped up and cannot pass the mandatory drug test because Mark has been in the wood and carved them to respond to the touch. Gibson's are fine but with the Campy you just get more detailed attention and one would expect them to produce a bit more glamor. Guild AA are fine guitars but to me they just never quite respond like a well carved Gibson and they are a bit subdued in over all tone. That to some ears can be the best sound. In the end it is all about the user end of the deal. Our ears hear in a guitar what they hear and it is individual to the player. So since todays is the Lord's day I might preach............the Lord speaks to each of us individually in voice. So too our guitars................you got a blessing too.......... in these guitars for Him.
    Preach on Deacon.

Yes The Campy is very fine. Very glad to have it. Well worth the 10 hour round trip.
    In the end Gibson are not going to put the same level of craft a one man shop can do.
    It's not that they can't per say, it's just their business model is different.
    Same with Guild. They are big manufactures.

User Info Menu

What a beauty. Mark C really has put together a superb aesthetics package with his guitars, over and above the carving, design, structural work, etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    What a beauty. Mark C really has put together a superb aesthetics package with his guitars, over and above the carving, design, structural work, etc.
    I agree.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B

David I checked up on that Guild. Are you sure it's a JSA?
    The neck inlays look wrong.

The JSA has smaller Epiphone type abalone inlays that do not cut through the entire white of the inlay and they have a rounded end.

I might be seeing the picture wrong so have a look.

I think he has a newer reissue of the AA not an original Johnny Smith Award.

OMG, she's GORGEOUS!!!! Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!